shape
carat
color
clarity

"Black-Tie Optional" what to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping you fabulous PSr's can provide some opinions/assistance! DH and I will be attending a function that is "black tie optional" in Atlanta on Dec. 8th. He says only the men from the hosting company wear tuxes, and that he will be wearing a nice navy pinstriped suit. So...should I go cocktail length or full length? I'm trying to avoid the little black dress--I'm not afraid of color and frankly I reserve the LBD for total last minute occasions. So here's what I've come up with so far: this one is J.Crew's Avery cross back--I have a gorgeous ivory coat that would go well with it, and a pretty chocolate wrap I could throw over my shoulders as well.

ivorydress.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really want to order this from Nordie''s...it''s on sale and the last size left is mine. I''m just not sure what shoes I would wear with it.

chocdress.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also like this one a lot...but it''s $360 and I don''t know if I will wear it again.

lssivory.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is kinda fun!

phoebe1.jpg

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2006 12:41:57 PM
Author: monarch64
I really want to order this from Nordie''s...it''s on sale and the last size left is mine. I''m just not sure what shoes I would wear with it.
I don''t know how to post the pictures that you had in here but here is what I think. I like this one a lot but I think you have to be tall and thin to get away with wearing it because of the way it hangs at the hips. It would make most people look hippy.

The last two that you posted, I am kind of so-so about but the first one is quite pretty and elegant and I don''t think you have to be a model (not that you are not) to wear it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, with your looks and figure and height, I think the first one would be fabulous on you!! I prefer it''s simplicity to the others and I think it would be a stunning choice on you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

All very pretty, all very feminine, but all very different looks. IMO the brown one from Nordies, given the satin fabric, might be the dress you wear once or once a year. If that is OK with you, then it is a nice choice. The first one is elegant and simple--easily dressed up with colorful wraps/jewellery and could take you anywhere in any season.. The last one you posted is so far my fav, because it is a neat color combo among other attributes. The black and white is also quite darling, but really reminds me of s summer dress--but perhaps you live in these conditions all year round so it might be apropos!

cheers--Sharon

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
monnie!!

my mom wore a brillant deep emerald green avery to my wedding this summer and she got endless (seriously) endless compliments on it. it''s so flattering and perfectly appropriate for the occassion. plus, according to my mother, extremely comfortable!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the first one with the chocolate wrap, some fab chocolate shoes, and a little dark brown fur* clutch purse (just to remind everyone it's winter, LOL!).

(*No offense intended to anyone who objects to fur. I've just seen a few of these furry clutches in the stores lately and they seem like so much FUN!!!)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the best! I think the ivory J. Crew Avery dress is probably my best bet, as far as wearability. The choc. one is really cute, but it is probably one of those dresses I would only wear once. So now I need to find shoes...JC has some beautiful satin big-bow slingbacks in espresso that would be gorgeous, BUT they're $185! I don't know if they would be worth it or not.
7.gif
I sure wish DH's company would let me expense these things, LOL!

ETA: cutie little clutch from JC...but I do like the idea of a chocolate one instead (although maybe not fur...I'm not really a "fur girl" he hee).

78934_NA6434.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe...but Monnie, the ivory dress is so versatile, that those shoes would be too as part of an ensemble you could wear again with the dress, coat and wrap etc, get your money's worth that way
9.gif
as you can mix and match! Love the clutch too!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me they saw a similar shoe for a far lower price, lol! Instead here you are enabling me, you naughty lady!
11.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2006 2:55:00 PM
Author: monarch64
Lorelei, I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me they saw a similar shoe for a far lower price, lol! Instead here you are enabling me, you naughty lady!
11.gif
9.gif
Moi?!
12.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
monarch: i don''t know if you''ve already checked, but jcrew is having a fairly extensive sale. perhaps there are some discounted shoes that would work?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did check their sale, Lulu...the only shoes in my size were satin d''orsay heels in hunter green satin...which would throw off the chocolate thing I have going.
8.gif
I''m furiously searching for footwear now, he hee!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I really like the Avery dress too. What about a pair of gold strappy sandals?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i'm not sure of your size, but here are some listings for the j crew d'Orsay in a brown satin

Size 7

there could be more

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first one definitely! how elegant and classy is that. i would totally pair it with either black or chocolate. orif they have it in a chocolate or a navy, you could pair it with ivory or black. yum!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first one the best as well!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not go long for BTO. Too dressy. I think a short dress, a pretty evening type skirt with a pretty top or evening pants and a nice top are great. Nowadays anything goes, and I see all of the above at black tie functions, so you would be totally within the realm of what is right with any of those!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mon, you are a pretty lady and I wonder if number two looks a bit maternity-ish? Depends on the drape. It might be great on, you have to see. I like the dress that was 360.00 and think a couple things...

One, you so could wear it again. Put a cardigan and a flat sandal and you have a summer night nicer evening dress, so it is pretty versatile.

Two, you might SAVE if you have shoes and a bag and a wrap in your possession since it is a black and cream combo I am sure you have stuff at home so you can save on buying accessories for one outfit which you also might not wear.

Just my .02 for what it is worth!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the first and last ones. the second one looks too frocky and the third looks summery to me as well. did you look at bluefly? they have a huge selection of reasonably priced cute dresses.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2006 4:38:37 PM
Author: lovelylulu
i'm not sure of your size, but here are some listings for the j crew d'Orsay in a brown satin

Size 7

there could be more
Thanks! I actually wear a size 10 (tall=big feet for me, unfortunately!), but I did check out ebay after you posted and found some other brown satin heels...but I don't like them nearly as much as the JC ones, of course!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2006 1:20:25 AM
Author: diamondfan
Mon, you are a pretty lady and I wonder if number two looks a bit maternity-ish? Depends on the drape. It might be great on, you have to see. I like the dress that was 360.00 and think a couple things...

One, you so could wear it again. Put a cardigan and a flat sandal and you have a summer night nicer evening dress, so it is pretty versatile.

Two, you might SAVE if you have shoes and a bag and a wrap in your possession since it is a black and cream combo I am sure you have stuff at home so you can save on buying accessories for one outfit which you also might not wear.

Just my .02 for what it is worth!
I agree with you there...the color caught my eye, and it was on sale for $136. I''m not normally a fan of babydoll dresses, though, so I think I''ll pass on it.

I do like the $360 dress...it''s a Laundry and I have had a few in the past and loved them. I do have black shoes that would match so it''s kind of a toss-up between that one/not having to buy shoes or a bag, and the JC one that is $215/possibly buying the matching shoes at $185.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2006 10:27:18 AM
Author: belle
i like the first and last ones. the second one looks too frocky and the third looks summery to me as well. did you look at bluefly? they have a huge selection of reasonably priced cute dresses.
Thanks belle, I always forget about bluefly for some reason! I will check them out!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I like the Ivory dress, but I''d pair it with a metallic shoe. Either gold (or if that''s too out there for you) or a muted bronze-ish brown.

DG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just ordered this dress from Nordie''s--I''ve tried it on before in black and noticed today it was on sale for less than $100, and in my size! I think the pink will still go with my ivory coat...now I need to find shoes/accessories, so any ideas would be appreciated!
9.gif

_5215971.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these are so cute!

V259960.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
In that shade with an ivory coat I would do neutral metallic, like a champagne color or platinum would be pretty...and you can use the shoes and bag if you get them with jeans and a cute top or with all black, to mix it up a bit, so the shoes and bag would not be for one outfit only...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondfan, thank goodness you are a practical thinker, LOL!
9.gif

You''re right, though...I think I need something gold/champagne/dare-I-say-brown-as-previously-discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results