shape
carat
color
clarity

black spot in diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bearkins

Rough_Rock
About 4 months ago, I noticed a "crack" in the right hand side of my diamond near the girdle. Loking at it closely there is no obvious damage on the surface of the stone, just in the inside. Yesterday, I noticed a black inclusion near the left hand side of the "crack". Has anyone any ideas on what this may be from?

The stone was bought loose and then set in a ring. I whacked the ring on a piece of iron (I work at a gym) and I''m thinking that perhaps I damaged it then or it was sold to my fiancee enhanced and no one told him about it.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
I am no expert.

Diamonds are very hard. While a very thin girdle might could get damaged, I would vote that the whack didn't damage the stone

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Any of those scenarios is possible, or you could just be noticing the girdle reflection and your latest exertions just made a spot of dirt get stuck on your stone. I'd clean it thoroughly, scrubbing the spot with a soft toothbrush, and then if it's still there you can bring it back to the jeweler to inspect under magnification.

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Anything is possible to damage a hard rock like diamond. But I told that if a diamond has been enhanced, on paper it has to state that to the buyer. It's illegal not to let the buyer know about the enhancement.

Take your stone to a diamond doctor and get a full physical exam.
9.gif

when the diamond was formed over 3 billion years ago the stone even before then was under enormouse stresses in the earths crust 150 km down at 45 kilobars of atmospheric pressure the crack that you have noticed is a result of these stresses it is a break along the atomic structure of the stone were light will not pass through, as does in the rest of your diamond ,as for the black spot jewellers would call this a carbon spot but a gemmologist would tell you that it could be 1 of 20 diffe3rnt mineral inclusions in diamond including garnet and so forth, the 2 inclusions that you noticed are both perfictly naturel and are nothing to wory about, your knock which you are worried about would not have caused this as diamond is the hardest material known to man and the inclusion is non surface reaching.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a cert for the stone? Who certified it? GIA? And what is the clarity grade?

bearkins

Rough_Rock
No certification. I swore when it was given to me as an engagement ring 4 months ago it did not have the inclusions in it.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results