shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Pearl Choices

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Taking another shot at a pearl purchase (wife has beautiful metallic peach set from POJ, and a white freshadama set from PP). Now I'm looking at some intriguing black pearls, though I'm on a budget. Of the following which would you choose?

1) Black freshwater AA+ 7.0 to 8.0 mm necklace, earring and bracelet set for $239 from POJ. These are kind of multi-color blacks.

2) 8.0 to 9.0 mm AAA Tahitian pearl earrings from PP for $237.

3) 7.5 to 8.0 mm AAA Black Akoya earrings from Pearl Outlet for $195.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I say go for the earrings...the black freshwaters will be dyed, where the Tahitians are natural color.

emchhardy

Rough_Rock
I was in your exact same boat not too long ago. I worked with someone at PP and they gave several options for earring choices - between FW, akoya, and Tahitians. I went with the darkest Tahitians out of the choices provided. They were the most saturated in (dark) color and the others seemed more blue/black to me and I wanted something as close to black as possible. The pair I have come off mostly black but there are traces/flashes of green so they're really vibrant.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend the Real Real, AAA Tahitians no comparison to the others. They are my go to earrings size 11 mm, light green peacock AAA from PP. Tahitians are chameleons, some times my pair looks gold/green, sometimes them look silver/grey charcoal , sometimes light green/pink pending what I have on. Any color will be fabulous!

dsc04308.jpg unnamed_29.jpg

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I'm convinced to get the Real Real Tahitians. Any strong differences between getting them at PP, POJ or even tahitianpearls.biz?

Best overtone to ask for? Do you know if the AA+ at these retailers are round? I don't mind a pit or two but I don't want anything like a button shape.

I think I'm restricted to 8.0 to 9.0 mm because of price constraints. Thanks for your help!

Frost Me: those are freaking spectacular.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I only know that PP and POJ are great! Most earrings should not have pits when face up. Earring grade is usually very clean. Early on in my pearl beginnings it was advised to buy the best you can afford, which in the long run saves money. The 8 to 9 mm will be a good size for your wife. I love peacock, ask for pictures other than the website, and tell them you want clean, very round pearls.

Pearl Paradise AAA Light Green Body Peacock 11 mm
img_5934.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I vote tahitians!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1430234299|3869008 said:
I vote tahitians!

Me too! I like 10-11 mm for earrings but I'm 5'7 and generally go for bigger pearls.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For Tahitians, I think it depends on what color you think would be the most flattering on your wife's skin tone. I would contact one of the vendors and ask for a suggestion.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Frost Me: I'm inspired by the size of your earrings. Will upgrade size. Zeroing on a 10mm to 11mm Tahitian AA+ for what seems like a very reasonable sale price of $279. Will ask Kevin at POJ for additional pictures to see what overtones are available.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
frostme: absolutely fab both on and off!

i'm not a stickler for absolutely round pearl earrings.....as long as they face up looking like they're completely round in which case I can live with a "flatter" back and save some $.

I also found that a true "button" looks really good on my ear lobe.

yes, another vote for Tahitians!

I have dyed black freshwaters both in a necklace and earrings and i'm ok with them. they are what they are and I can wear them w/o fear of destroying something near and dear to my heart. having said that go for the quality of a Tahitian and don't look back!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Black Akoya are dyed, and they are very black, if you want something dark. Tahitians tend to look silvery, or oily.

I have some black freshwaters, and they're nice. Definitely affordable. You don't say if your wife is passionate about pearls? If she's just looking for something fun and fashionable?

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
ennui|1430238415|3869042 said:
Black Akoya are dyed, and they are very black, if you want something dark. Tahitians tend to look silvery, or oily.

I have some black freshwaters, and they're nice. Definitely affordable. You don't say if your wife is passionate about pearls? If she's just looking for something fun and fashionable?

My wife enjoys pearls, but doesn't bother researching them. The exotic peach metallic freshwater strand definitely opened up her eyes to possibilities beyond everyday whites. I think she will like the green/silvery/oily exotic look of Tahitians.

Tahitians are a relatively expensive game. Will be a while before I get the matching necklace.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
A couple of other options, just for thought:

I got these 9-10 or 10-11mm (not sure now but I think they are 9-10mm) Tahitian drops in the blossom setting from PP. It seems to be a very popular setting. If you use the chat function on the site, they'd email you pics of a few pairs to choose from. Drop shape is larger than the same mm size in a round pearl too, because the width is what's measured, not the length. Of course the setting costs more than studs but the drop shape pearls cost less, and then there's the 15% Mother's Day discount:

tahitian_earrings_on_1.jpg

tahiti3.jpg

blossom_tahitians-1.png

Or, if you want a serious bargain, I wear my dyed black freshwater endless (no clasp) rope more than any other strand, although it's probably the cheapest strand I own. The overtones don't show up very well in my photos, but they're subtle enough to not look fakey fakey but still colorful and wonderful. I got it from Overstock.com, DaVonna brand. I think mine is 7-8mm, 64 inch. It looks like right now they have 6-7mm available, 64 inch or 100 inch. (That would be about the pearl size of the little multicolored bracelet in the photo below, plenty large for a rope, I think). These strands are under $75! I don't notice irregularities in the shapes from a foot away when it's smaller pearls and lots of them. A couple of caveats- I'd get the AA grade from Overstock. The A grade has been too off-round for me to be happy with. Also, the strands tend to break after a couple of years. I got my black rope restrung by PP for $50 or $60 when it broke after a couple of years. It makes an impressive looking gift, too. That's a lot of pearls! (However, they don't provide a gift box). Here's mine:

colored_set__2_0.jpg blacks.jpg _1694.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AFAIK, black CFWPs and black Akoyas are dyed.

Although Tahitians can be colour-enhanced, the majority have not undergone any colour treatment.

Therefore, I personally would opt for Tahitians myself.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
P.S. If anyone is interested, Overstock has more black ropes in stock than I saw at first glance. They do have my beloved strand shown above. It is actually 8-9mm, DaVonna Peacock Black freshwater strand, 64 inch endless, $82.44. I'd post the link but I think it's not allowed here.

But yes, as DK said, the black freshwaters and the black akoyas are dyed, whereas the Tahitians usually aren't dyed.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Update: PP and POJ are super busy because of the Mothers Day sale. Extra photos will take days or weeks. I might just have to trust them to choose a peacock Tahitian for me.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
danielxlin|1430239245|3869052 said:
Tahitians are a relatively expensive game. Will be a while before I get the matching necklace.

Wait until you start playing the white South Sea game. :naughty:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1430244148|3869104 said:
danielxlin|1430239245|3869052 said:

Wait until you start playing the white South Sea game. :naughty:

hah yeah! I have been trying to stay away from that as long as I can. This tahitian bug is killing my poor bank account!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
danielxlin|1430242812|3869094 said:
Update: PP and POJ are super busy because of the Mothers Day sale. Extra photos will take days or weeks. I might just have to trust them to choose a peacock Tahitian for me.

danielxlin, I feel you can trust them both call back and ask for cell photo if possible. At PP call Lynsey or POJ Kevin, tell them to hand pick highest luster, super clean surface, well matched pair in your color and size. Get pushy!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Button pearls sit closer to the ear lobe so can look less droopy. You'll pay a lot less for buttons too

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Frost Me|1430325979|3869701 said:
danielxlin|1430242812|3869094 said:

danielxlin, I feel you can trust them both call back and ask for cell photo if possible. At PP call Lynsey or POJ Kevin, tell them to hand pick highest luster, super clean surface, well matched pair in your color and size. Get pushy!

I got some photos from PP. And discussed options with Kevin at POJ. Ended up pulling the trigger on a 10mm medium green with peacock overtone pair from POJ. Assured that they will be special.

With sales on both sites the 10mm AA+ from POJ were significantly cheaper than the 10mm AAA from PP (which didn't offer AA+).

Frost me: The lighter green body color and the huge size of your pearls influenced my choice. Thanks for posting the photos.

Will update with photos.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh good, can't wait to see her and your reaction, plus the photos!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I think that's a great choice. Early on I bought a number of less expensive pieces, and now wish that I had focused more on buying a few high quality pieces than a lot of smaller purchases. Tahitian studs are classic and will be classic forever IMO.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Pics of the 10mm AA+ Tahitians from POJ. Medium green with a peacock overtone.

Very happy with the size, and the AA+ quality was much better value than the AAA. I see a little surface blemishing but nothing bad. The color is understated (grayish green with hints of rose) until sunlight strikes and the green really pops.

tahitian_2.jpg
tahitian_1.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
danielxlin|1433788607|3886588 said:
Pics of the 10mm AA+ Tahitians from POJ. Medium green with a peacock overtone.

Very happy with the size, and the AA+ quality was much better value than the AAA. I see a little surface blemishing but nothing bad. The color is understated (grayish green with hints of rose) until sunlight strikes and the green really pops.

tahitian_2.jpg
tahitian_1.jpg

that are really beautiful!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Danielxlin those are very pretty and a great size.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful selection Daniel, your wife will be pleased.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results