shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Opal Education

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
This may not be a great photo of a black opal for sale to give an opinion on, but I didn't want someone to steal it if it's awesome. But... I'm guessing it's NOT awesome because it's been available for a while now. I love black opals, but I'm not educated enough to know what makes a black opal better than another one (outside of @missy 's because HOLY CATS that's GORGEOUS).

Talk to me, experts. Why is this one not so desirable it's not been sold yet?

Image 3-9-24 at 8.05 PM.jpeg

I don't think it would necessarily be undesirable. Blue and green are the most common colors of opalescence. Red is the rarest and also the most valuable. I would need to see more of the stone in natural lighting and preferably a video to really get a feel for it. But brightness is also important. This guy may or may not be so bright in person. An even flash adds to value as well (no dark or dull spots), and certain patterns are more valuable than others (like harlequin and rolling/broad flash). The smaller the pattern, the less brightness and flash you're going to see (generally speaking). A few others factors, of course, are size and thickness, along with any imperfections that may be present. Lastly, some stones are treated, doublets, or triplets, so that is also something to consider. I'm going to tag our @yssie, because she is the opal queen and can advise you much better than I. Good luck in your hunt!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lovetodream thanks for your kind words about my black opal. I am not an opal expert and from that photo I am hesitant to draw any concrete conclusions but green and blue are not as prized in a black opal (by many experts) as is red. And as @Autumn in New England wrote there are various aspects with which we use to judge a black opal. Including but not limited to color play, body tone, pattern, carat weight and size, and imperfections are all taken into account when judging a black opal

I will say my black opal is (for lack of a better word) full of life. Lively, personality always changing and extremely colorful and the dominant colors are red, blue and green across a black background.

Good luck in your search!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert on Opal, however, based on the photo in the original post, the stone would not interest me as I would prefer to have a black Opal with splashes of colours of the entire rainbow.

Each to their own and all that.

DK :))

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Ah, the other splashes of color is what is missing for sure - now that I think about @missy’s, it’s the variety that is so breathtaking. Onward!

Thanks so much for the input and advice, all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, the other splashes of color is what is missing for sure - now that I think about @missy’s, it’s the variety that is so breathtaking. Onward!

Thanks so much for the input and advice, all.

Thank you again. Not the best photo because of the reflection but here’s her personality today. She’s ever changing

IMG_8920.jpeg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
This may not be a great photo of a black opal for sale to give an opinion on, but I didn't want someone to steal it if it's awesome. But... I'm guessing it's NOT awesome because it's been available for a while now. I love black opals, but I'm not educated enough to know what makes a black opal better than another one (outside of @missy 's because HOLY CATS that's GORGEOUS).

Talk to me, experts. Why is this one not so desirable it's not been sold yet?

Image 3-9-24 at 8.05 PM.jpeg

There is just no way I can tell by the picture. Sorry.

Hi @lovetodream thanks for your kind words about my black opal. I am not an opal expert and from that photo I am hesitant to draw any concrete conclusions but green and blue are not as prized in a black opal (by many experts) as is red. And as @Autumn in New England wrote there are various aspects with which we use to judge a black opal. Including but not limited to color play, body tone, pattern, carat weight and size, and imperfections are all taken into account when judging a black opal

I will say my black opal is (for lack of a better word) full of life. Lively, personality always changing and extremely colorful and the dominant colors are red, blue and green across a black background.

Good luck in your search!

I neglected to mention body tone! I'm glad you did!! And we all love your beautimous stone. :geek2:

Thank you again. Not the best photo because of the reflection but here’s her personality today. She’s ever changing

IMG_8920.jpeg

There she is! Such saturated fiery tones, and I like that the background is blue. I think the floral pattern might be my favorite. What do you think your body tone is (of the stone, not you... I'm sure you have a lovely figure :D)?

I bought this guy last year... I wanted a full rainbow (being obsessed with "completeness" thanks to my OCD
nuts.gif
). It's an N3, B1... I had wanted something with a darker body tone, an N2 or even 1, but I do enjoy the blue base and she's quite bright and sparkly. I've been trying to figure out what the pattern is... I think it's a mixture of floral, clover, and pinfire? Anyway, it's 4.17ct. and 14x10x4.5mm. I bought it from Opal Galaxy in OZ. Michael was very accommodating (I returned the first stone with no issues).

The vendor's video:

My (comparatively sucky) video:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
I had to post straight after @Autumn in New England because I have my opal because of her - yes she made me do it ;-)

So I found an opal. Darn you @Autumn in New England ;-)

I’ve wanted one for a long time. But it was your post on opals and search and amazing find which ‘enabled’ me to find one now!

It’s not anywhere near the beauty of Autum’s (or the budget ;)2 ) but I love it and cannot wait for it to arrive. It’s my perfect colours

Here’s a still

6A3502AF-8A77-40EA-8D06-B3304A1A48EB.jpeg

And here’s my setting inspiration

BF6278C8-E294-408F-ACB5-796AFB92392B.jpeg

And I hope this is the video

I have set mine in a simple hand made 18ct brushed gold bezel but I think I may have to go back to the original plan as she needs ‘more’

IMG_7050.jpeg

I love that you chose an east-west orientation!! Look at her glow. Down the line, you could always upgrade to that paraiba halo. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results