shape
carat
color
clarity

Black inclusion visible to a naked eye in a SI1/F IGI diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I have a diamond ring purchased in the U.K.
The 0.32ct stone has an IGI report: M1G37939 . Where clarity SI1 is stated. However there is a well visible black inclusion - visible not only through the pavillion, but through the crown too. I am quite cunfused...
What do you think?

Ivan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
IGI is considered to be very soft on grading in the US.
Some GIA graded si1 stones will have eye visible inclusions but if it is easily seen then likely it is a soft grade.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 4:53:04 AM
Author: strmrdr
IGI is considered to be very soft on grading in the US.
Some GIA graded si1 stones will have eye visible inclusions but if it is easily seen then likely it is a soft grade.
Welcome Ivan,

Ditto strm, this can happen.

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. Well, to me when the stone has a black eye visible inclusion(visible without a loupe) actually quite near to the table it is definetely P1. And to grade such a stone as SI1 is as soft as Michael Jackson´s punch
1.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I would agree that it seems as if the stone was graded a bit soft.... I have an SI1 stone and there is DEFINITELY no black chunk in it! In my mind, any visible black inclusions are at least an I1...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 9:28:24 AM
Author: Tuckins1
I would agree that it seems as if the stone was graded a bit soft.... I have an SI1 stone and there is DEFINITELY no black chunk in it! In my mind, any visible black inclusions are at least an I1...

I 'visited' a stone GIA graded SI1 that had two clearly visible black inclusions in the bottom half of the stone. A sales person told me GIA grades only from the top down? Still I personally don't like black inclusions clearly visible from the side of the diamond either!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I have an eye-clean AGS graded SI2! Sounds like this stone is a victim of a soft grading lab
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 5:39:56 AM
Author: mastercut
Thank you. Well, to me when the stone has a black eye visible inclusion(visible without a loupe) actually quite near to the table it is definetely P1. And to grade such a stone as SI1 is as soft as Michael Jackson´s punch
1.gif

SI1 stones can easily have eye visible inclusions even in *well graded* stones. But IGI is known for being very soft...

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Actually, in my view a "soft grading" is maybe VVS2 instead of VS1 or VS2 instead of SI1. This I can understand, though gem labs shouldn´t be "soft" even in these cases. But I can´t understand when IGI grades a P1 as a SI1... I am quite digusted about such poor service...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am loving how everyone refers to outright systematic over grading of diamonds as soft.

It is misrepresentation, pure and simple. It is planned at the corporate level, ie, "If we over grade every diamond by one, two or even three grades the vendors who want to take advantage of those trusting in paper to buy diamonds will send their stones to us rather than to the AGS or GIA where they can get the "real" grade of the diamond."

The vendors figure, "Our diamonds will sell at a discount from real paper and only those who take the time to study will actually know that even at a discount our diamonds are over priced."

Thus the "soft" labs sell more bogus paper and the unethical vendors sell more diamonds to the uneducated.

Wink in a to HECK with sugar coating mood.

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
To be honest, I bought the ring (with that "wonderful" stone) online second-hand for about 140USD. So there is no problem to resell it for the same or higher price even if it is P1. But the previous owner paid about 800USD for this "SI1" stone ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results