shape
carat
color
clarity

Black History Month (Political)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the complete transcript (via Deadspin) of Trump's remarks this morning to kick off Black History Month. OMG, it's so bad. So far his term seems like he's trolling all of us.

"Well, the election, it came out really well. Next time we’ll triple the number or quadruple it. We want to get it over 51, right? At least 51.

Well this is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast, our little get-together. Hi Lynn, how are you? Just a few notes. During this month, we honor the tremendous history of African-Americans throughout our country. Throughout the world, if you really think about it, right? And their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work, and faith in America. I’ve gotten a real glimpse—during the campaign, I’d go around with Ben to a lot of different places I wasn’t so familiar with. They’re incredible people. And I want to thank Ben Carson, who’s gonna be heading up HUD. That’s a big job. That’s a job that’s not only housing, but it’s mind and spirit. Right, Ben? And you understand, nobody’s gonna be better than Ben.

Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. It turned out that that was fake news. Fake news. The statue is cherished, it’s one of the favorite things in the—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. But they said the statue, the bust of Martin Luther King, was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. Very unfortunate.

I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things. Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact.

I’m proud to honor this heritage and will be honoring it more and more. The folks at the table in almost all cases have been great friends and supporters. Darrell—I met Darrell when he was defending me on television. And the people that were on the other side of the argument didn’t have a chance, right? And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community. He’s all by himself. You’ll have seven people, and Paris. And I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much as I used to. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice. Wherever Fox is, thank you.

We’re gonna need better schools and we need them soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages. We’re gonna work very hard on the inner city. Ben is gonna be doing that, big league. That’s one of the big things that you’re gonna be looking at. We need safer communities and we’re going to do that with law enforcement. We’re gonna make it safe. We’re gonna make it much better than it is right now. Right now it’s terrible, and I saw you talking about it the other night, Paris, on something else that was really—you did a fantastic job the other night on a very unrelated show.

I’m ready to do my part, and I will say this: We’re gonna work together. This is a great group, this is a group that’s been so special to me. You really helped me a lot. If you remember I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting—and I won’t go into details—but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we’re gonna take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here—Omarosa’s actually a very nice person, nobody knows that. I don’t want to destroy her reputation but she’s a very good person, and she’s been helpful right from the beginning of the campaign, and I appreciate it. I really do. Very special.
So I want to thank everybody for being here."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even this dog can't stomach that anyone voted for this moron!

screen_shot_2017-02-01_at_6.png

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's nice, pardon me a moment here- BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

giphy.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya know, sometimes you just should NOT dignify excrement with an intellectual response.

It's called responding in kind.

AGBF, this is as 'intellectual' a response as Cheeto deserves.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh god. This is what I hoped was satire/irony (from another thread). So absolutely horrifying. HOW IN THE WORLD could anyone listen to that and think, "YUP! Voted for that guy!" I just don't understand.

FWIW, I prefer this vomiting pic because it really shows just how MUCH vomit and disgust I feel by having it come out of both the ears and mouth :) You're welcome for that lovely image :bigsmile: 29643337-Vomit-explodes-from-a-man-s-face--Stock-Vector-cartoon-drunk-sick.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex Trebek: "False narratives ... Half-truths ... Omissions of fact ... "

DING DING DING

Alex Trebek: "Yes, JoCoJenn?"

Me: "What is 'liberal BAIT'?"

Alex Trebek: "That's correct; you get to choose next."

Me: "I'll stick with 'How to Lose a Liberal in 10 Days' for $1000, Alex."

The Roosevelt Room, a conference table, about 15 respected black leaders/people present (not including the media lining the wall seats) for a breakfast honoring Black History month and a Q&A open-dialogue/discussion forum.

But yes, let's hone in on his unscripted, "little" comments (while overlooking the size of the room & audience), and make sure we read them with full frontal bias. That way, we can overlook actual important, inspiring and positive outcomes such as this one(from the actual, official transcript: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/02/01/remarks-president-trump-african-american-history-month-listening-session):

MS. SCOTT: But can I say this -- I am so grateful that our President gives us that ear to listen to the community -- to listen. And people like us are just here to constantly put that message out into the community. And we love you for that. We love you for listening and we thank you for that.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Thank you very much.

PASTOR SCOTT: Darrell Scott, pastor at New Spirit Revival Center and black Trump supporter. (Laughter and applause.) But speaking of the community, let me just say this real quick. Omarosa, I told you I'm going to try to throw it in. I was recently contacted by some of the top gang thugs initiative Chicago for a sit-down. They reached out to me because they associated me with you. They respect you, they believe in what you're doing, and they want to have a sit-down about lowering that body count. So in a couple of weeks, I'm going into Chicago.

THE PRESIDENT: That's a great idea because Chicago is totally out of control.

PASTOR SCOTT: Well, I let him know -- I said, we've got to lower that body count. We don't want to talk about anything else -- get that body count down. And they agreed. But the principle is they can do it. These are guys straight from the streets -- no politicians -- straight street guys. But they're going to commit that if they lower that body count, we'll come in and we'll do some social programs. So they're in agreement.

THE PRESIDENT: If they're not going to solve the problem -- and what you're doing is the right thing -- then we're going to solve the problem for them because we're going to have to do something about Chicago. Because what's happening in Chicago should not be happening in this country.

PASTOR SCOTT: But they want to work with this administration.

THE PRESIDENT: Good.

PASTOR SCOTT: They want to. They reached out -- I didn't reach out to them. They reached out to me.

THE PRESIDENT: I understand.

PASTOR SCOTT: They want to work with this administration. They believe in this administration. They didn't believe in the prior administration. They told me this out of their mouth. But they see hope with you.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I love it.

MR. WILLIAMS: Mr. President, I'm a member of what we call the media, but we try to be fair and objective. (Laughter.) Not all media seems to be the opposition party. There are those that see the good that you're doing. We report it. I'm just honored to have a seat at the table today.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. And it is -- I mean, a lot of the media is actually the opposition party. They're so biased and really is a disgrace. Some of you are fantastic and fair, but so much of the media is opposition party and knowingly saying incorrect things. So it's a very sad situation. ...

What's SAD and shameful is people too ignorant to discern facts from fiction, who rush to fuel the flames of bias while overlooking - in a truly disrespectful manner - the positive discussions taking place in that room to partner with communities of color and help reduce murders & crime.

THAT makes me (the alleged "conservative racist" with all my "white privilege") want to barf! Shame on ya'll! :nono:

E B

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1486023799|4123183 said:
What's SAD and shameful is people too ignorant to discern facts from fiction, who rush to fuel the flames of bias while overlooking - in a truly disrespectful manner - the positive discussions taking place in that room to partner with communities of color and help reduce murders & crime.

Wait-- is this you being playful and lighthearted again?

A pro-Trump pastor sitting down and claiming that "the gang leaders" want to work with Trump (a man who said he'd deploy the FEDS in to "help" with gang violence) despite people who actually do anti-violence work being rightfully skeptical (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-pastor-chicago-gangs-met-20170201-story.html) doesn't change the fact that Trump....

a) worked himself, as usual, into a BHM speech
b) sounded like a 3rd grade book report
c) is generally incoherent

But hey, if he's able to solve the gang violence problem in Chicago, by all means! Let's hope he does. Until then, and after, he'll still embarrass us and a good portion of the rest of Americans with 50 other things happening simultaneously- and we're allowed to discuss them!

There's really no reason to get defensive. The OP didn't target you, or anyone, with this topic. And what's good enough for some won't be good enough for others- we must learn to coexist with this knowledge. 8-)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1486004910|4123122 said:
Ya know, sometimes you just should NOT dignify excrement with an intellectual response.

It's called responding in kind.

AGBF, this is as 'intellectual' a response as Cheeto deserves.

This is for you, kenny. It is the result of painstaking research I did in the archives.

harriet.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1486035351|4123194 said:
Wait-- is this you being playful and lighthearted again?

A pro-Trump pastor sitting down and claiming that "the gang leaders" want to work with Trump (a man who said he'd deploy the FEDS in to "help" with gang violence) despite people who actually do anti-violence work being rightfully skeptical (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-pastor-chicago-gangs-met-20170201-story.html) doesn't change the fact that Trump....

a) worked himself, as usual, into a BHM speech
b) sounded like a 3rd grade book report
c) is generally incoherent

But hey, if he's able to solve the gang violence problem in Chicago, by all means! Let's hope he does. Until then, and after, he'll still embarrass us and a good portion of the rest of Americans with 50 other things happening simultaneously- and we're allowed to discuss them!

There's really no reason to get defensive. The OP didn't target you, or anyone, with this topic. And what's good enough for some won't be good enough for others- we must learn to coexist with this knowledge. 8-)

As another man (known for interjecting the word "I" in every sentence of darn near every public address he ever gave) once said, "Let me be clear". No, that what not me being "playful & lighthearted", and I don't (personally) feel "targeted". That was me 'demonstrating MY free speech rights in protesting' what I feel is behavior on par WITH Chump. The VERY thing you & others are blasting Chump for in this meeting and every time the man breathes ... YOU all are doing right now - disgustingly politicizing something that was otherwise done in honor of respected black historic figures, and during which serious discussions about solutions for senseless gang-related crime & murder were being had.

Chump isn't going to solve anything HIMSELF any more than Obama did. But reading these posts make it sound like he rolled in 15 KKK members for a 'white-nation roundtable summit' on MLK's birthday. :rolleyes:

E B

Ideal_Rock
The president used a speech for BHM to whine about the mean, biased media in two separate places (!) and we're the ones politicizing? :lol: Gotta pull on those big boy pants, 'cause scrutiny is part of the job. Just ask ol' arugula-eating Obama.

Sure, there are MANY other, more important things to criticize President Trump for just 2 weeks in, but going from Obama to Trump in terms of writing/public speaking alone is a devastating downgrade and will take some time getting used to.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1486045562|4123241 said:
The president used a speech for BHM to whine about the mean, biased media in two separate places (!) and we're the ones politicizing? :lol: Gotta pull on those big boy pants, 'cause scrutiny is part of the job. Just ask ol' arugula-eating Obama.

Sure, there are MANY other, more important things to criticize President Trump for just 2 weeks in, but going from Obama to Trump in terms of writing/public speaking alone is a devastating downgrade and will take some time getting used to.

:shock: :shock:
Oh no ... you did NOT just politicize arugula! :hand:

FTR - THAT is me being playful & light-hearted. I freaking LOVE arugula! :lickout:

Carry on. I said what I wanted to say. People can judge for themselves ... as I am sure they will. :wavey:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1485999200|4123093 said:
Here's the complete transcript (via Deadspin) of Trump's remarks this morning to kick off Black History Month. OMG, it's so bad. So far his term seems like he's trolling all of us.

"Well, the election, it came out really well. Next time we’ll triple the number or quadruple it. We want to get it over 51, right? At least 51.

Well this is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast, our little get-together. Hi Lynn, how are you? Just a few notes. During this month, we honor the tremendous history of African-Americans throughout our country. Throughout the world, if you really think about it, right? And their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work, and faith in America. I’ve gotten a real glimpse—during the campaign, I’d go around with Ben to a lot of different places I wasn’t so familiar with. They’re incredible people. And I want to thank Ben Carson, who’s gonna be heading up HUD. That’s a big job. That’s a job that’s not only housing, but it’s mind and spirit. Right, Ben? And you understand, nobody’s gonna be better than Ben.

Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. It turned out that that was fake news. Fake news. The statue is cherished, it’s one of the favorite things in the—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. But they said the statue, the bust of Martin Luther King, was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. Very unfortunate.

I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things. Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact.

I’m proud to honor this heritage and will be honoring it more and more. The folks at the table in almost all cases have been great friends and supporters. Darrell—I met Darrell when he was defending me on television. And the people that were on the other side of the argument didn’t have a chance, right? And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community. He’s all by himself. You’ll have seven people, and Paris. And I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much as I used to. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice. Wherever Fox is, thank you.

We’re gonna need better schools and we need them soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages. We’re gonna work very hard on the inner city. Ben is gonna be doing that, big league. That’s one of the big things that you’re gonna be looking at. We need safer communities and we’re going to do that with law enforcement. We’re gonna make it safe. We’re gonna make it much better than it is right now. Right now it’s terrible, and I saw you talking about it the other night, Paris, on something else that was really—you did a fantastic job the other night on a very unrelated show.

I’m ready to do my part, and I will say this: We’re gonna work together. This is a great group, this is a group that’s been so special to me. You really helped me a lot. If you remember I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting—and I won’t go into details—but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we’re gonna take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here—Omarosa’s actually a very nice person, nobody knows that. I don’t want to destroy her reputation but she’s a very good person, and she’s been helpful right from the beginning of the campaign, and I appreciate it. I really do. Very special.
So I want to thank everybody for being here."

Please tell me this is a joke.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Jenn, :appl: :appl: :appl:

Just viewed President's speech at the prayer breakfast. He responded, I think, to the introduction with a joke about Arnold's low ratings. I thought, that's a mistake and all we will hear about from media and the anti- Trump crowd. There will be nothing said about his words to people of faith.
Trump also said something about the chaplain staying on with a, " what the hel l." Don't know if he will ever adjust. We shall see. Still, not sure he could win with the media and haters anyway.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1486047619|4123257 said:
Jenn, :appl: :appl: :appl:

Just viewed President's speech at the prayer breakfast. He responded, I think, to the introduction with a joke about Arnold's low ratings. I thought, that's a mistake and all we will hear about from media and the anti- Trump crowd. There will be nothing said about his words to people of faith.
Trump also said something about the chaplain staying on with a, " what the hel l." Don't know if he will ever adjust. We shall see. Still, not sure he could win with the media and haters anyway.

Anna, Obama was NEVER able to win the racists, haters and ALT right and Fox news channels.

The Anti-Trump crowd is approximately 2.8 million more than the pro Trump crowd.

We are a country with separation of Church and State, personally I don't think any Pres. should mention faith because if heorshe does they may leave out a belief system and those people will be offended.

So how do you interpret this below:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Kate, the first amendment needs no interpretation. It means what it says.
There is so state religion, and the state doesn't interfere with the exercise of religion.
Every religion is welcome to the prayer breakfast, and I believe most are represented.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Kate, the "She won the popular vote" is irrelevant and tiresome. Trump ran to win and won the only way to win, with electoral votes. Clinton practically ignored the electoral votes, no doubt thinking she had that, and focused on the popular vote because she thought that running up the popular vote would strengthen her win.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1486049832|4123270 said:
We are a country with separation of Church and State, personally I don't think any Pres. should mention faith because if heorshe does they may leave out a belief system and those people will be offended.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

On the first bold item - I want to be clear: are you saying you believe no president should ever make reference to faith (be it that of others or his own) while in office? Does he or she not also have the same rights as others?

It is one heckuva stretch to suggest that inviting religious leaders AS PART OF a group of various other leaders and people from the community (business, government, media, etc) to a breakfast is somehow "establishing a religion." Do we know that NO other "faiths" or non-believers were included? The people in these roles all have a powerful voice in their respective areas with which to help bridge racial divide in our country ... something I thought we ALL want to see happen.

Excuse me while I go hunt for the candid camera that surely is capturing my confounding attempts to believe what I am reading here. At this rate, I am starting to believe - albeit scary - that Chump should just exclude all media from his meetings. They can get binoculars and read his lips through the windows from the WH gates, as surely those interpretations will be just as farfetched as the ones they print (and get gobbled up by the left like crack) when they are present. :roll:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1486050935|4123278 said:
There is so state religion, and the state doesn't interfere with the exercise of religion.
Every religion is welcome to the prayer breakfast, and I believe most are represented.

Anna, if you didn't read President Obama's remarks last year at the national prayer service here you go:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-02-04/obama-2016-national-prayer-breakfast-transcript

This is the way I expect a president to conduct him/her self in public.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1486052050|4123287 said:

Anna, if you didn't read President Obama's remarks last year at the national prayer service here you go:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-02-04/obama-2016-national-prayer-breakfast-transcript

And Bush had a personal way with words, as did Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, etc. People do have different ways of talking, phrases, tone, etc.

Did you find it particularly disturbing as well when Obama said: "and tell your cousin Pookie to get off the couch...", and Michelle made distasteful references correlating black people voting and "fried chicken".

I hate to tell you, but there is a new sheriff in town.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486051983|4123285 said:

On the first bold item - I want to be clear: are you saying you believe no president should ever make reference to faith (be it that of others or his own) while in office? Does he or she not also have the same rights as others?

[b]Absolutely, I am in favor of no president making any references to religion or god. period. certainly he/she can say whatever the heck they want when they aren't representing me .. they have lives.. [/b]

It is one heckuva stretch to suggest that inviting religious leaders AS PART OF a group of various other leaders and people from the community (business, government, media, etc) to a breakfast is somehow "establishing a religion." Do we know that NO other "faiths" or non-believers were included? The people in these roles all have a powerful voice in their respective areas with which to help bridge racial divide in our country ... something I thought we ALL want to see happen.

Just as big a stretch as the right to bear arms means people can own as many guns as they want. As to the racial divide, it wouldn't be hard to 'bridge' if people weren't racists, that doesn't have anything to do with religion.

camera that surely is capturing my confounding attempts to believe what I am reading here. At this rate, I am starting to believe - albeit scary - that Chump should just exclude all media from his meetings. They can get binoculars and read his lips through the windows from the WH gates, as surely those interpretations will be just as farfetched as the ones they print (and get gobbled up by the left like crack) when they are present. :roll:

You have that right to believe whatever you want about Cheeto, I have no problem with it, you have a right to believe whatever press you want, you have a right to want to ban press from President Bannon and Cheeto's words. I have a right to my beliefs and thoughts just like you do. You think the right doesn't gobble up farfetched wacko ideas? Well they print glowing reports of Cheeto and crew, and their readers gobble up those lies.. so to each his own I'd say.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486052352|4123289 said:

And Bush had a personal way with words, as did Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, etc. People do have different ways of talking, phrases, tone, etc.

Did you find it particularly disturbing as well when Obama said: "and tell your cousin Pookie to get off the couch...", and Michelle made distasteful references correlating black people voting and "fried chicken".

While there's still a constitution, I and people who think the same as I, will continue to point out that Cheeto does not represent the majority of people who voted. I don't understand why right wingers get their panties in an uproar over a fact. SMH

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Kate, it seems you are the one who is upset currently. And that is certainly your right.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486052352|4123289 said:

fried chicken and Michelle Obama.. she was asked a question and she was joking with the questioner.. if you found that offensive, so be it, soul food is known as traditional african american southern food of which friend chicken is one item, if she had said, sure people can eat sauerbraten and potato dumplings I would have been surprised as the question when asked about SOUL FOOD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_food
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/friedchicken.asp

Do you find it distasteful that Melania Trump posed nude and girl on girl pix? or That Cheeto was a lady part grabber? If I had to gauge my distasteful feelings the latter two I find more distasteful.

As to Obama making reference to your cousin 'Pookie' , I don't know that would bother a person????? One of my best and longest and dearest friends for over 55 years has a sister named Pookie, so I have heard that for 1/2 a century..(all her sisters have weird names except 2 of them).

Bush Jr was a horrible speaker, Reagan was an actor and played the part of president very well, Carter wasn't a very good speaker, Clinton was a great speaker. Obama the best.. Cheeto - not playing with a full deck.

ETA: Michelle Obama's roots go back to the south, her parents were from the south.. so she ate soul food. No I am making a supposition there but I also knew kids who's parents were from the south and cooked soul food (it was delish)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Obama

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486051983|4123285 said:

Excuse me while I go hunt for the candid camera that surely is capturing my confounding attempts to believe what I am reading here. At this rate, I am starting to believe - albeit scary - that Chump should just exclude all media from his meetings. They can get binoculars and read his lips through the windows from the WH gates, as surely those interpretations will be just as farfetched as the ones they print (and get gobbled up by the left like crack) when they are present. :roll:

Have you ever wondered why the press (and so many of us) dislike this man and are hard on him? That maybe it isn't because the press is "mean", but because he is incompetent and offensive? To play devil's advocate, let's pretend that it IS just the media being unfair to him. Since when does being hard on a president mean that he should exclude media from his meetings? Since when does reporting on what a president says or does constitute something that should be punished? The press has been covering presidents for a long time, and no president that I'm aware of has talked about excluding them. So that means either 1) he's too thinned skinned, b) the media is on to something, 3) we should somehow treat him differently than all other presidents. If he can't take heat from the press, he's really in the wrong job.

E B

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1486054401|4123305 said:
Have you ever wondered why the press (and so many of us) dislike this man and are hard on him? That maybe it isn't because the press is "mean", but because he is incompetent and offensive? To play devil's advocate, let's pretend that it IS just the media being unfair to him. Since when does being hard on a president mean that he should exclude media from his meetings? Since when does reporting on what a president says or does constitute something that should be punished? The press has been covering presidents for a long time, and no president that I'm aware of has talked about excluding them. So that means either 1) he's too thinned skinned, b) the media is on to something, 3) we should somehow treat him differently than all other presidents. If he can't take heat from the press, he's really in the wrong job.

For that and so, so many other reasons.

But you're absolutely right. And the idea that anyone would NOT want the media to act as a 'check' to the president's day-to-day is pretty scary.

I know Fox News is incredibly popular with the right, but alarm bells should ring if the man so incredibly sensitive to criticism gives Fox a pass. That means they're letting him sail, and NO reputable news outlet should. And I mean that of every President. State-sponsored media, or anything resembling it ("Fox has been fair, everyone else is fake news!!!") is one of the key characteristics of a fascist society. You've got the most difficult, most important job in the country. Of COURSE you'll be scrutinized. As you should.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to mention the double standards are astounding. Imply that student protests are the result of sheltered, whiny crybabies and say the press are biased liars, but elect the biggest one EVER to be president? It's like what are you smoking and where can I get some?

And there will not be a new sheriff in town if he does not behave as a public servant to the majority of the people, who may I add did NOT vote for him by 3 million votes.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate said:
[b]Absolutely, I am in favor of no president making any references to religion or god. period. certainly he/she can say whatever the heck they want when they aren't representing me .. they have lives.. [/b]
And to make your point, you chose THAT link! :shock: Did you by chance ... read it? :???:
Obama - while representing YOU - started off that PRAYER brunch with:
Giving all praise and honor to God for bringing us together here this morning.

I want to thank everyone who helped organize this breakfast, especially our co-chairs, Robert and Juan, who embody the tradition of friendship, fellowship, and prayer. I will begin with a confession: I have always felt a tinge of guilt motorcading up here at the heart of D.C.'s rush hour. (Laughter.) I suspect that not all the commuters were blessing me as they waited to get to work. (Laughter.) But it's for a good cause. A National Prayer Brunch doesn't have the same ring to it. (Laughter.)
Where was the protest? :confused: I mean come on, he made 5 references to himself, 5 references to religion, 3 comments garnering laughter, and one that could be perceived as belittling us less fortunate folks who have to sit in traffic to accommodate his motorcade (not that I really care; I don't live there anymore, thank God! ... oops!).

Tekate said:
Just as big a stretch as the right to bear arms means people can own as many guns as they want. As to the racial divide, it wouldn't be hard to 'bridge' if people weren't racists, that doesn't have anything to do with religion.
Your opinion on about bridging the racial divide (that you DIDN'T write with a quill & ink, clearly influenced by media that DIDN'T distribute news with wooden press machines and who spoonfed biased left-leaning drivel the last 8 years to help pump up a man who WASN'T protected with muskets) might be better shared with "those who share your opinions" further up in this thread ... perhaps in a GTG about how 'progressive' you are to expect advancements in every area you want, but not for others. How very 'equall'! :rolleyes:

Tekate said:
You think the right doesn't gobble up farfetched wacko ideas? Well they print glowing reports of Cheeto and crew, and their readers gobble up those lies.. so to each his own I'd say.
I don't 'think' they do, I KNOW they do/have ... for far longer than the last couple weeks/election. That's why I don't believe everything I read or hear out of their pie holes, and actually make an effort to research things on my own to. Maybe try it sometime!

Tekate said:
While there's still a constitution, I and people who think the same as I, will continue to point out that Cheeto does not represent the majority of people who voted. I don't understand why right wingers get their panties in an uproar over a fact. SMH
:clap: :clap: I celebrate EVERYONE who is 'loud & proud' ... male or female ... of any skin color ... any religion ... any origin ... and I'd be the first in line to help defend them ALL with my GUNS! But don't worry ... I won't hold my breath waiting for the same 'defense of my rights' in return. 8-)

Tekate said:
fried chicken and Michelle Obama.. she was asked a question and she was joking with the questioner.. if you found that offensive, so be it, soul food is known as traditional african american southern food of which friend chicken is one item, if she had said, sure people can eat sauerbraten and potato dumplings I would have been surprised as the question when asked about SOUL FOOD.

Do you find it distasteful that Melania Trump posed nude and girl on girl pix? or That Cheeto was a lady part grabber? If I had to gauge my distasteful feelings the latter two I find more distasteful.
Annnnnd comments about 'the media' were directed at Chump (you know, the guy they actually came to meet with). Obama opened with a joke about traffic (a well known problem at the time); Chump did the same. I don't really care what Michelle said, or what Melania did; they're people, humans - including the past & present Presidents. NO ONE should have to live their life inside a filter-bubble any more than someone who is gay should be made to feel the need to live 'in the closet'. Words matter, and they might sting, but they ONLY create a negative impact if YOU give them power to. I rather focus my concern on actual, physical pain ... like people who literally, actually, assault others; not some blown-to-crap comment made by a couple of 'typical guys' on a bus 8 years ago. :roll:

Seriously Kate ... just stop. :pray: I'm literally almost doubled over in laughter at your responses and choices in trying to defend that which you (and your 'like-minded folks') claim to be against. I'm actually beginning to feel kind of embarrassed for you. :???:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of sad that Black History Month is being monopolized about talk about Trump and the struggles of white folk (funny how it always comes back to that eh). Not about the great Black folk who helped shape the world.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1486054401|4123305 said:
#1Have you ever wondered why the press (and so many of us) dislike this man and are hard on him? That maybe it isn't because the press is "mean", but because he is incompetent and offensive?

#2To play devil's advocate, let's pretend that it IS just the media being unfair to him. Since when does being hard on a president mean that he should exclude media from his meetings? Since when does reporting on what a president says or does constitute something that should be punished? The press has been covering presidents for a long time, and no president that I'm aware of has talked about excluding them.

#3So that means either 1) he's too thinned skinned, b) the media is on to something, 3) we should somehow treat him differently than all other presidents. If he can't take heat from the press, he's really in the wrong job.

1) It's the press. 'Nuff said. They spill the garbage, idiots gobble it up, they make money, wash, rinse & repeat. THAT certainly isn't 'news' (to me at least).

2) Because they report lies and spin 'news' faster than a Maytag, and they should be punished for it. That's what we do in this country when someone is proven to have done something wrong (not the mere suggestion of wrong-doing for ratings; if there's confusion here, see #1). Or do you condone people in business partaking in unscrupulous actions (e.g. Wells Fargo, EpiPen, etc.)? :confused:

3) First off, it goes "1, 2, 3" (that's how I was taught anyway) which reminds me of another teacher - my SIL, funny story; will share later. Anyway, if there is ANYONE in this country who is thin-skinned, it sure as heck doesn't appear to be the unscripted, potty-mouth from New York; rather, those who cling to his every breath, waiting in bloodthirsty anticipation for him to pass gas so they can critique the odor and decipher just what he really did have for lunch that day.

E B said:
But you're absolutely right. And the idea that anyone would NOT want the media to act as a 'check' to the president's day-to-day is pretty scary.
I guess I would ask - given the garbage they sell that you buy, what difference at this point does it make if they cover him or not? You already think he's the devil in fake-bake who is going to lynch every non-blonde, non-white, non-Christian in the world. Do you really still need to keep digesting fake-facts with your Frosted Flakes every morning? :think:

Elliot86 said:
Not to mention the double standards are astounding. Imply that student protests are the result of sheltered, whiny crybabies and say the press are biased liars, but elect the biggest one EVER to be president? It's like what are you smoking and where can I get some?

And there will not be a new sheriff in town if he does not behave as a public servant to the majority of the people, who may I add did NOT vote for him by 3 million votes.
That is NOT a double standard. :rolleyes:

Those children (call them what they are) CHOSE to BREAK THE LAW, burn their school and turn an otherwise peaceful protest into a violent event.

I LEGALLY & PEACEFULLY cast a vote for a person who didn't (to my knowledge) lie to the FBI & Congress, didn't confess to (and later apologize for) hiding classified government documents on a private server, and wasn't charged with & found guilty of a criminal act. And it's not about HER; that WAS the alternative. :roll:

The popular vote/electoral college discussion is almost as old as Chump. Don't you have any new music to sing?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1486057109|4123325 said:
I'm kind of sad that Black History Month is being monopolized about talk about Trump and the struggles of white folk (funny how it always comes back to that eh). Not about the great Black folk who helped shape the world.

You and I both, Telephone! I surely didn't start it, but I'm glad to help try to finish the disgusting nonsense! It's not like there aren't a thousand other anti-Chump threads here to spew they hate ... marypoppins (ironically) felt compelled to cast a negative spin on even Black History Month with this thread, which clearly wasn't ANY attempt to lay praise on those who fought to advance civil rights for people of color; it was to fuel the flames at the 'Orange guy'. As I said earlier - SHAMEFUL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results