shape
carat
color
clarity

Black gems, facetable and/or cab material?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
A recent post on black spinel piqued my curiosity.

I am thinking of making my brother a really blingy type of ring for his birthday. He wears a lot of crappy bling, so I thought to get him something a little nicer. I even asked him what he thought of stones, and from what I described to him he sounded ok with cabochon type material, but not faceted gems (unless of course they are opaque like black spinel).

Since the ring would need to be chunky, and he likes white metals, I would definitely opt for silver (no way am I buying my brother gold or better!). I actually have a local silversmith/artiste in mind. The only question is, what kind of material would be best for a "center stone."

I am thinking a big slab of onyx type thing, but I thought perhaps black spinel would do. Moonstone is too feminine. It doesn't have to be black, though, red or blue would do as well: lapis lazuli, or maybe coral (though it's a bit too bright-colored).

Any other options for black or dark material? Definitely something very inexpensive. It need not look expensive -- just masculine.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
There''s also malachite - a dark green stone. I have a cabochon cut malachite ring.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
If you are looking for a black gem and considering black onyx or black spinel - I would seriously consider black spinel as the superior choice. Black spinel (8) is slightly harder than onyx (7) so would be a bit tougher in jewellery and less liable to damage. Black spinel holds a great polish and facets beautifully. The other advantage we see is that black spinel is natural and untreated where I think most black onyx would be dyed and heated to produce the jet black colour. It is also far less commonly used so has a unique character - important for something special and custom made.

The other reply to your message also gives a good suggestion for gems you might consider for this project - I''m sure others here will have more suggestions for you. Sounds interesting.

cheers

Andrew Lane

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Black Jadeite can be a beautiful gem... I''ve seen recently several nice specimens during the emporiums in Yangon (Burma)

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results