shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marialampinen

Rough_Rock
I am new to this site, but I must say i''ve learned alot already by reading the different forums and the from the colored gems page. I actually found this site by accident looking up on google for the shane co. and im glad I found it! Now to my question and predicament
I started looking today at a couple different places, Kay jewelers (where even I, a complete newby with stones knew he didnt know what he was doing), and to Fred Meyer Jewelers where my husband and I bought our sets. We weren''t concerened about quality as much as price, being young and having little income. Now, what I want to do is put a black diamond princess cut in my husbands wedding band for our anniversary this december. When I went to Kay jewelers they said his band would only fit a 1/40 carat diamond. I said ya right and walked out. When i went to FM Jewelers they said they could fit a 3mm cut, it would just be a matter of finding one. They were going to order a few stones if possible for me to look at, however I dont know what to look for!! I am somewhat educated now on what to look for in a colored or white diamond, however I would think a black diamond would have different rules, as they are black. I am looking for any links, any information, any advice on what to do, because like I said I have no idea what I''m looking for as far as quality and would love the advice.
Thanks for all your help!
35.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Bear in mind that black diamonds are basically industrial-grade stones that are sometimes irradiated to get a more uniformly black appearance. As such, they should cost very little, especially in smaller sizes ($200/ct or so). The workmanship in modifying the ring and setting the stone could be as much if not more.

Since they are not transparent, clarity is not an issue and the subtleties of cut are irrelevant. The only things that matter are a deep and even black colour, and that the stone is faceted in a pleasant and symmetrical way.

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
Just be aware that almost all the black diamond in the regular B&M store are treated.
The fancy black are fairly rare and could be pricey but are worth it in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results