shape
carat
color
clarity

black diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jupiters_gal

Rough_Rock
are black diamonds worth setting in an e-ring? I''ve heard they are porous and don''t stand up, but i havent found much info on them.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It depends. True, natural black diamonds tend to be heavily pitted and knotted, and the finish will rarely be better than poor. However, most black diamonds on the market now are heavily irradiated I-clarity stones, and those would look nicer although the color is not as intensely black (it's actually a very, very, dark green).

jupiters_gal

Rough_Rock
thanks for your reply. So if i wouldnt want anything treated, and they wouldnt be jet black maybe i should go with the canaries my jeweler picked out. would onyx be too soft for a flush setting in platinum e-ring?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if you're concerned about treatment, the problem is that almost all "black onyx" is really dyed black chalcedony.

I would go with the canaries. That would look pretty nice. But it's your ring and you should be happy with it so if you really want something black, crack the whip over your jeweler's head and get him to find some nice black diamonds. There have to be some out there somewhere.

jupiters_gal

Rough_Rock
lmao, i think i'll take the canaries i think they are going to add some class to a pretty modern ring. i didnt know that about onyx, i did all my diamond research , but i havent looked up much on gems. i checked into balck sapphires, but couldt find any smaller that 3.5-4mm. oh well, in 50 years those canaries will still look great.

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
Lawgems,

Since you are in this subject of brown and black diamonds- what are the chances to get some brown diamonds -similarly to the color of a darker smoky qaurtz in the size of one carat. Do you have any idea or can you refer me to any of the suppliers ? Are these goods also "irradiated" ?

Thank you for any information toward this "search"
tongue.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know why anyone would want to artificially create brown color in diamonds since it's the most common color. What you're talking about are "champagne" or "cognac" diamonds. I don't know any suppliers off the top of my head, but there have to be plenty. Just ask around, since you seem to be in the trade.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/21/2003 5:24:29 PM jupiters_gal wrote:

are black diamonds worth setting in an e-ring? I've heard they are porous and don't stand up, but i havent found much info on them.
----------------

If you want a good looking black, they exist (some at http://www.diamondrough.com/index.htm). If they don't have any on site, ask since there are not too many things these guys cannot give you. An alternative? Black spinel (dirt cheap, hope this is not a problem, since it is just being introduced to the market) - looks like black diamonds ought to if they were as nice as people hope. These are tough, good quality, untreated gems. Try the look for a couple of $ at Amricanthai and if you like the texture, these guys can make the cut of your dreams. The result could be an awesome ring with high whites and black. An e-ring? Why not!

A stranger source of great, untreated, blacks is an Ebay guy (himself collector of fancy diamonds)called Rotierick with whom I dealt myself.

As a rule, good looking black diamonds (no dings, no chips, deep black) are cut in India since this (cheaper) rough needs a lot of work whoch would not pay enough to keep cutters on more established markets (Antwerp, Israel, US) interested. but yes, there are good black diamonds for you out there!

Hope this helps,
1.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually going to post a round cut black diamond 1.27 carats on ebay soon. Also, I have a .69 cognac (medium brown) round cut diamond of I1 clarity (can't see the inclusions because of the color, but definitely see them all with a loupe). If you want to know my ebay seller's ID email me off board. I thought I would make them into jewelry, but changed my mind and spent all my money on making an emerald ring instead. I may keep the cognac for now though.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Oops, forgot to mention that I have the cert. for the black diamond. Sorry for the SPAM. Don't kill me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results