shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fali

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity how do black diamonds get their colour? Where can I find more information about them.

Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
...how do black diamonds get their colour?
----------------

Carbon! :)

check these links:

[/u][/u]

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The majority of black diamonds you see on the market are irradiated. Some of the ones I've examined looked black to the eye, but when examined under a high intensity fiber optic light were actually a very, very dense green of low color saturation. This highly concentrated low saturation green ends up looking black under ordinary lighting conditions.

Natural blacks can range from semi-transparent to opaque. Sometimes a heavily included natural diamond can have a black "appearance", although not be a true "fancy" black. Fancy blacks are, however, often heavily included.

A new development on the market are synthetic black diamonds. They are opaque, with a "hematite-like" look. They are purported by their marketers to have a better grain "texture" than natural blacks, and "allegedly" take a better polish. These stones sell for less than natural blacks.

Black diamonds can range quite a bit in price. The majority of them are fairly homely, but sometimes the finer ones can catch your eye. They are kind of cool from a mineral specimen point-of-view, and many regard them as a good man's ring stone.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

fali

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info.

I have seen quite a few pieces featuring black & white diamonds. I had never heard of black diamonds before.

Thanks again, this site is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results