shape
carat
color
clarity

Black carbon spot on diamond but not shown on GIA Report

Lottie80

Rough_Rock
Hi pricescope gurus!

I recently purchased a gorgeous cushion stone from LM and I noticed upon closer inspection of a picture of the diamond (the picture was magnified) that there is a black carbon spot on the diamond's table. The GIA report however, does not list this inclusion and it is not shown on the report's diamond diagram. Does this usually happen with GIA reports?

Also, I signed the work order last night for the diamond to be set in the Halo 811 :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: . Should I send LM an email to request that the diamond be sent to an appraiser prior to setting or can it still be appraised once it is set :?: :?:

For those of you that didn't see my earlier post, I have attached the diamond and GIA report ;-)

Thanks for all your imput :wavey: :wavey:

Cushion Diamond.jpg

Attachments

• GIA Cert.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 213

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that what your seeing is not a carbon spot but a piece of debris on the stone. I've seen many many pics of stones that look as though they have an inclusion when in fact it's a piece of hair or dust particles or what not. I would almost guaruntee that Leon would notice this and bring it to your attention if in fact there was something to worry about. So, I would rest easy, if you really want to put your mind at rest I would give Leon a call and ask about it, he'll let you know if there is a problem. BEAUTIFUL stone too btw!!! :love: :love:

Lottie80

Rough_Rock
Thanks Christina! I did speak with Perry and he assured me that it was eye-clean. I was just a little worried because in the magnified version of the picture he sent me it looks like a carbon spot!!!

Also, the stone is G colour. Do you think it shows a fair bit of yellow tint. I'm just sooooo nervous. A few people at work commented that because the purchase was done online how I can I know that i'm getting what is stated. I have no doubt that LM will produce an amazing ring just worried that it will look slightly yellow :confused: :confused: :confused:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
"Also, the stone is G colour. Do you think it shows a fair bit of yellow tint. I'm just sooooo nervous. A few people at work commented that because the purchase was done online how I can I know that i'm getting what is stated. I have no doubt that LM will produce an amazing ring just worried that it will look slightly yellow"

It's a GIA G, unless you're extremely color sensitive, or you are putting this side by side a D, you are not going to see tint. I highly doubt GIA is going to completely miss a carbon spot that size and I'd trust Perry if he says it's eye clean.
Don't let those people's fear mongering worry you, that's just their own fears and assumptions. The reality is that you are buying this stone from a very reputable vendor.
Take a deep breath and just enjoy the process, it's a beautiful stone!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, your diamond looks beautiful!

The black spot on your diamond is to obvious to be missed, it can only be some dust or debris...and I really don't think that it will show a yellow tint unless you compare it side by side with, let's say, a F ?

Lottie80

Rough_Rock
Thanks maplefemme! I would say I'm slightly colour sensitive but I know that my mum has an F round brilliant and I cannot see any colour coming from her diamond so i'm hoping my G wont be that different to an F colour diamond.

Ok so I'm slightly obsessed with this spot so thought I would take a screen cap of the enlarged photo - here goes. Do you think it looks more like a bit of dirt??

Screen shot of enlarged pic.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Once your ring is set you will probably not be able to tell a color difference between your stone and your mothers stone. Most people cant tell the difference between D E F even when they are sitting side by side. The only way to really measure is color is upside on a white background. Your G is going to be very white, unless your extremely color sensitive, the color won't be an issue.

Most of the photos that we see online are taken by whom ever holds the diamond, probably in their office under bad lighting. Rarely does the pic display the beauty of the stone. I have a step cut, it's a VVS1 and every magnified pic I had of my stone looked as though there were hundreds of tiny pinpoints and inclusions, its only everyday residues that build up on the stone, a good cleaning and viola, it's perfect!

Your diamond is GIA graded, if there was a sizable carbon spot on the stone it would be noted on the plot. If you had an EGL stone I would be more concerned about the inclusion and the color. People will always have a tough time believing that it is safe and possible to buy a beautiful diamond online, however, if they educated themselves about the merits of buying online, they would never again buy from a B&M. Don't let you co workers freak you out. Leon has a fabulous reputation, you are going to LOVE your ring and your friends are going to be sooo jealous when they see the quality of a Leon Mege compared to a stock setting! :Up_to_something:

So, really, no worries, your ring is going to be incredible!! :love: Sorry, if I missed it, but when will you receive the ring?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Lottie80|1309605714|2960507 said:
Thanks maplefemme! I would say I'm slightly colour sensitive but I know that my mum has an F round brilliant and I cannot see any colour coming from her diamond so i'm hoping my G wont be that different to an F colour diamond.

Ok so I'm slightly obsessed with this spot so thought I would take a screen cap of the enlarged photo - here goes. Do you think it looks more like a bit of dirt??

I really can't fathom GIA missing that, I wouldn't worry, it's probably debris of some sort. If it is really stressing you, call Perry and ask him if he can clean the stone and if he can see a carbon spot with a loupe after.

I 2nd Christina, that stone in a LM setting is going to look fabulous, your colleagues can eat crow when they see how gorgeous your ring is! ;))

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely call Perry and ask about it. It is possible that it is some polishing compound?

stci

Ideal_Rock
For me it's normal cause your pics are big zoom and not look on a 10x magnifier. Some camera can zoom to 30 and more x don't forget it!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
slg47|1309619281|2960580 said:
I would definitely call Perry and ask about it. It is possible that it is some polishing compound?
I had the same thought. If it is, wouldn't it need to be removed before it gets set?

Lottie80

Rough_Rock
what is a polishing compound? Is it some debris on the surface that can be cleaned with a cloth?

I submitted the work order last Friday and it will be ready in approx 6 weeks!!!!! :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Lottie80|1309701822|2961089 said:
what is a polishing compound? Is it some debris on the surface that can be cleaned with a cloth?

I submitted the work order last Friday and it will be ready in approx 6 weeks!!!!! :appl:

no, it cannot be cleaned with a cloth. a jeweler must clean it with acid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results