shape
carat
color
clarity

Black arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, stmr. I have been cruising this board for a while and find your posts to be very informative. I love asschers too, as long as they are cut well. And I think I''d be pretty picky on those :) Seems to be a lot of variation in cutting styles for asschers from what I''ve seen.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2005 8:11:10 PM
Author: diamondsrock
thanks, stmr. I have been cruising this board for a while and find your posts to be very informative. I love asschers too, as long as they are cut well. And I think I''d be pretty picky on those :) Seems to be a lot of variation in cutting styles for asschers from what I''ve seen.
Yes there is.
Its been around a long time so there are a lot of variations out there.
When ags releases their cut grade for them I have a feeling we will see more uniformity.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2005 9:00:32 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/29/2005 5:23:28 AM
Author: valeria101

About this 80%....

too complicated for a short post but thats on the right track.
It is not me, really - I think I read something like this somewhere then tried it out... and forgot the source. Maybe AGA?

The secret hope was to look into what makes the recipe with short lower girdle work (think OEC). Not very practical topic since the breed is extinct. In fact, I wonder why on Earth because the cut looks successful and whatever cause the shift to the modern recipe with needle facets is a bit of a mystery to me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 8:42:38 AM
Date: 11/29/2005 9:00:32 AM

Date: 11/29/2005 5:23:28 AM

About this 80%....

too complicated for a short post but thats on the right track.

It is not me, really - I think I read something like this somewhere then tried it out... and forgot the source. Maybe AGA?

The secret hope was to look into what makes the recipe with short lower girdle work (think OEC). Not very practical topic since the breed is extinct. In fact, I wonder why on Earth because the cut looks successful and whatever cause the shift to the modern recipe with needle facets is a bit of a mystery to me.

my opinion: changes in indoor lighting from candles/oil lamps to harsher lighting is the main reason tastes changed to smaller facets.

I remember reading what your refering too but have no clue where I read it. A few of the experts here have mentioned it from time to time also.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2005 7:19:33 PM

Date: 11/29/2005 5:31:55 PM
Author: diamondsrock
stmr - what would your absolute ideal diamond specs be?

an asscher with a 12%-15% crown height and kicken patterns. :}

in rounds there are a lot of formula''s for bright diamonds.

There is someting about diamonds with tight physical symmetry that appeal to me beyond looks so it would have to be tight.
Say no more than .1 on the pavilion and .2 on the crown.
34.2-34.4 crown pavilion of 40.8-40.9
lgf% of 81%
stars 58%
Table of 56%
med girdle with the upper girdle facets cut for contrast.

That would be a realistic one.
It would produce a very bright diamond with an acceptable amount of fire and contrast.
Brighter combos exist but there would be more tradeoffs in some of them.

edit typo, thinko
strm
agree BUT......you have a better chance of hitting the lotto.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 4:48:44 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 11/29/2005 7:19:33 PM

strm

agree BUT......you have a better chance of hitting the lotto.
2.gif

yes and no.
Paul hits that level on occasion as does the gog classic cutters.
They hit that level on the pavillion more often than the crown.
At most it is a few hundred diamonds out of all of them that pass thru the PS vendors but they are out there.
Unless you are cutting to the very edge I think its just a feel good issue on the crown but it gives me warm fuzzies.
Tight pavilions do have advantages beyond that.

mkb

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 7:21:34 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Gee Storm it is such a pity we have Helium now as the number and % of top stones has gone down as the ability to split hairs went up
31.gif
so did the sale of painkillers to reduce the cutters'' increasing headaches
(hi Garry, have been off line for a while.

luc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 7:21:34 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Gee Storm it is such a pity we have Helium now as the number and % of top stones has gone down as the ability to split hairs went up
31.gif

lol
Thats true was looking at one report with .30 degree range on the pavilion and comparing it with one that had a .80 range and going hmmmmmm.

Remember the question was what in MY ideal diamond.
Not what Id recomend someone else hunt for.
There are things that go far beyond a diamonds look that are kewl to me.
A diamond with as close to 0 variation as possible to me is like IF/F may be to someone else.
Those that you have to explain it too just wouldnt understand.
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results