shape
carat
color
clarity

Bittersweet excitement. My new old mine!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Today was an exciting mail day! My new old mine cut was just delivered. When I saw her listed I absolutely lost my mind. She is everyone I love in an old cut. Chunky, warm, teeny tiny table, distinct pinwheel facets, and major kozibe effect! The kids and I were squealing with excitement when I opened her. She’s massive! And absolutely perfect. I’m beyond thrilled and dreaming up ways to set her. Then it hit me- oh my gosh I have a type. She looks almost identical to my beloved Cleone- my 2.02 ct N color old mine that I have set in a gorgeous Megan Thorne solitaire. So similar that I think I’m going to release Cleone and purchase a modern cut. Problem is I decided not to cert her because I trust the vendor I purchased from and planned to never sell her. Anyways! Im posting to share my joy, talk about setting ideas for my new stone but also to seek advice on pricing Cleone. I’ll probably post her here, on loupetroop and a bit high on EBay because I tend to have luck there. I’ll share a few pics of my new stone now and more this afternoon of her as well as Cleone (in my avitar pic).

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I demand specs!

Omg so lovely. I loooove! What are your plans for setting?

Thank you! The specs got sandwiched between my photos. 3.60 UV VVS2. I have a few ideas. It probably depends on if I sell my other one or not. My original instinct is a romantic gold victor Barbone inspired bezel. Similar to their Barcelona ring. If I don’t sell my other ring then I will probably go with something more modern and possibly platinum or two tone. I’ll attach inspiration pics this afternoon after I get my kids situated

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So glad a PSer scored this stone! Can’t wait to hear how you will set her!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I love her!!! Requesting side by side pics of your new diamond and Cleone if you’re so inclined :)

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS! I love anything Alex posts! I can’t believe how white it faces up for UV ! Congratulations and good luck on the sale! Everyone seems to be looking for old cuts right now so I don’t think you’ll have a problem selling Cleone!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hmm left hand/right hand or ring and pendant, problem solved :}
or or
Find a third and ring and earrings now that would be so PS.. dont forget the 4th for a pendant later!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS! I love anything Alex posts! I can’t believe how white it faces up for UV ! Congratulations and good luck on the sale! Everyone seems to be looking for old cuts right now so I don’t think you’ll have a problem selling Cleone!

Way whiter than I was expecting. Almost a bit to white for my taste. She’s a total Chamaeleon though. Cleone is in pristine condition and could pass as brand new. I’m just worried about the non cert. I thought I would never sell her. I need to learn to never say never.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
or or
Find a third and ring and earrings now that would be so PS.. dont forget the 4th for a pendant later!

Haha! I like the way you think! My husband will most definitely disagree though! The thought of having the same designer convert Cleone into a pendant and then set my new one the same way is very Intriguing though.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree. I should have certed her in the first place. I wish they would grade stones mounted. I really don’t want to remove her from her setting.

I just dropped off a stone to DK to send to GIA. I kid you not, Amy removed the stone from the setting in less than 5 seconds…. We joked how scary it was for her to do it so quickly.

I don’t know how quick it is to re-set the stone back since I never intended to but…at least the first few steps were really not a big hassle at all! I should be getting grading back anyday now…

AL12

Shiny_Rock
or or

Still laughing at this…. Especially “that would be so PS” and “don’t forget the 4th for a pendant later”.

Sheesh are we that predictable… feeling sheepish (and glad my ears aren’t pierced!) :D

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I just dropped off a stone to DK to send to GIA. I kid you not, Amy removed the stone from the setting in less than 5 seconds…. We joked how scary it was for her to do it so quickly.

I don’t know how quick it is to re-set the stone back since I never intended to but…at least the first few steps were really not a big hassle at all! I should be getting grading back anyday now…

The only thing that has me nervous is the thought of disturbing these incredible prongs 3442933B-F191-4441-B32A-CC0DA2735C2D.jpeg

Attachments

• 8060270F-ED3C-4D8F-B34C-E37545BA5090.jpeg
    8060270F-ED3C-4D8F-B34C-E37545BA5090.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 482C514E-B45E-4C4E-A782-0C1547A57E2D.jpeg
    482C514E-B45E-4C4E-A782-0C1547A57E2D.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 42

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Love this stone!!!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The only thing that has me nervous is the thought of disturbing these incredible prongs 3442933B-F191-4441-B32A-CC0DA2735C2D.jpeg

Those prongs are indeed quite incredible, OMCs + yellow gold = perfect equation for me.

I understand your concern!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
And a few setting ideas. More modern if I keep Cleone and more soft and vintage if I don’t. 8C02AA4A-4C84-4871-9A33-D2F999F14F1A.png

Attachments

• 07BB2B0E-D908-4EAF-B831-F124DCCED882.jpeg
    07BB2B0E-D908-4EAF-B831-F124DCCED882.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A6F80BF8-2F2D-4C8D-84CA-500A921AD115.jpeg
    A6F80BF8-2F2D-4C8D-84CA-500A921AD115.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 8EFD0FCE-0114-48E3-B17D-6CACBC01FEF7.jpeg
    8EFD0FCE-0114-48E3-B17D-6CACBC01FEF7.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 10

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, not that you asked, i'd keep both if you can afford it or have a desire to. i sold my smaller OEC because i wanted something entirely different and felt ready.

but if you don't mind having 2 OMCs, i think nice OMCs are going to be harder to find, and you clearly love your current ring.

the sizes are so different, it may be nice to have a 2-carat for more low-key days. as someone with a 3.5-carat OMC, i'd love to have a low-key alternative in the future. the size is still super wearable IMO, and the bezel helps a lot.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, not that you asked, i'd keep both if you can afford it or have a desire to. i sold my smaller OEC because i wanted something entirely different and felt ready.

but if you don't mind having 2 OMCs, i think nice OMCs are going to be harder to find, and you clearly love your current ring.

the sizes are so different, it may be nice to have a 2-carat for more low-key days. as someone with a 3.5-carat OMC, i'd love to have a low-key alternative in the future. the size is still super wearable IMO, and the bezel helps a lot.

I TOTALLY agree! I also have 2 OMCs and love them both! Like your 2 OMCs, they differ in color (J and N vs. your N and UV). My 2 are even more closer in size (2.42 and 2.81). The 2.81 is set in a setting with prongs but the 2.42 is still loose and I plan on a completely different setting for the 2.42 (bezel).

If you don’t have to sell Cleone right away, I would keep both for now. You can always sell in the future but it will be HARD to replace Cleone if you were to regret selling.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

You are so right. I was originally 100 percent planning on keeping Cleone until I noticed that they are soooo similar. The faceting pattern is literally almost identical, The depth percentage is almost the same and the table is probably about the same percentage as well. Cleone is definitely a bit whiter though. Its Mama diamond and baby diamond! I think if I do something more modern like a Platinum bezel they might feel different enough.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Keep both! It is ok to have a type, I do too! Just have different settings and they will have a completely different flavor. To me the two stones differ enough too so I am sorry but I can only be an enabler.:)))

Eeek I probably will!!! So many enablers on here!!! I’m thinking a super modern two tone 18k yellow and platinum bezel setting will do the trick and if not I can always sell Cleone later to fund a modern stone.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone has any setting ideas send them my way!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'll echo the same.
OMC's in Cleone's ranges are hen's teeth right now. I would hold unless you need the funds- you won't have any problem unloading her if you decide to. It would be a shame to separate her from her mount. Those prongs. Noooo touch!:naughty:
What a lucky predicament to have! Your new stone is amazing. I've been very partial to the flush mounts and bezels with simple gold work lately.

20210224_141600.jpg 1664399882932.jpeg 1664399920970.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results