shape
carat
color
clarity

Bit of a dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So if you found a stone in real life that cost about half of all of the other comparable stones on the internet, do you think you''d go for it, or pass it up?

BTW-this stone is on my list....

I''m torn. I thought it was gorgeous when I saw it, but more than I wanted to spend at the time. And I haven''t stopped thinking about it...

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Heh, yes probably, because I have NO willpower when it comes to pretty pretty gems. I''ve actually had to wean myself off of the online gem sites because I keep seeing things I MUST. BUY. NOW.

Is it within your current budget? If it''s a local store, are they willing to do layaway on it?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
If it was somthing you already wanted? Do you mean it is 1/2 the price of the internet stones?

Do they have any sort of return policy? That way if you find something out about it that you don''t like you don''t have to keep it? Will it really set you back money wise?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Are you going to keep us in suspense about what it is?
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can afford it, instead of saving that $$$ for a rainy day or setting one of the stones I already have.

It's a 1 carat pink spinel cushion-everything that looks comparable that I've found runs around $150+. This stone was only $80. So either they have no idea what they have (which is the way I'm leaning-because it's not a gemstone store) or there is something seriously wrong with it (Also possible-I didn't have my loupe then, so I didn't really look closely).

So it's on my list (pink spinel or sapphire 1ct+), I can afford it (thanks to Bush and his stimulus package), and so I'm a little lost...

ETA: I'm not sure what the return policy is, I'd have to ask, but I'm pretty sure they'd take it back if I had a problem with it.

Here we go:
* Merchandise may be returned within 21 days of receipt.
* Goods must be returned in the condition in which they were received.
* Returns must be in their original packaging.
* The purchaser is responsible for all postage costs related to a return, except in cases involving defective equipment. We recommend that you use a trackable shipping method and keep your tracking number until we confirm that we have received your return.
* We do not accept returns on rough rock that is fractured or broken during knapping, cutting, or polishing of the stone.
* We do not give refunds on merchandise or the shipping and handling charges for international orders (including Canada) if you refuse to pay duties, tariffs, or other fees. It's your responsibility to contact local Post Office or Customs Authorities before you place your order to find out what such charges might be.

It's a mineral store, so they don't do a lot of cut gems...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And being that it''s $80 I''m pretty ok with that price, and just liking what I see. No appraisal or anything necessary I think...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

If you have the money and it is something you really want, than go for it.

I just bought a blue silk dress and have no where to wear it, but I have been wanting a dress like this for years and the price was right. Sometimes you just got to get things when they come up (assuming it is not going to cause a huge burden on you checkbook).

ETA: Well in this case, the appraisal may be more than the stone, right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 12:54:19 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Yup. So not worth it.

What do you think?

I guess I should just go and see if they still have it first off. And then take out my loupe and check it out of course, and then make the decision from there.

(And I bought a bright blue Anthropologie dress for no good reason. Not to even get into all of my shoe purchases...Who really buys 2 pairs of purple satin high heels for a good reason?!)

Why am I being so nervous about it?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 1:02:35 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 7/4/2008 12:54:19 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Yup. So not worth it.

What do you think?

I guess I should just go and see if they still have it first off. And then take out my loupe and check it out of course, and then make the decision from there.

(And I bought a bright blue Anthropologie dress for no good reason. Not to even get into all of my shoe purchases...Who really buys 2 pairs of purple satin high heels for a good reason?!)

Why am I being so nervous about it?
I think the dilemma is solved
4.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope they're open tomorrow. I'll report back as to what happens...or maybe with pics!

ETA: I'm terrified that I'll get there and not like it anymore or it'll have a huge window or something...But I don't remember it like that, I think I would have noticed that when I saw it the first time...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 1:15:24 AM
I hope they're open tomorrow. I'll report back as to what happens...or maybe with pics!

ETA: I'm terrified that I'll get there and not like it anymore or it'll have a huge window or something...But I don't remember it like that, I think I would have noticed that when I saw it the first time...
Your are cracking me up; go buy it. I have been like you too, wanting something and wishing I bought it; that is a sign. hehe I am crossing my fingers it will be there!! Keep us posted!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck tomorrow, take pics!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!!!!Now the questions is...should I drag BF along with me?

HAH HAH HAH!! Yeah right.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
You are posting in the wrong forum: WE''RE THE ENABLERS
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Freke, I think you have to get it. Have to. Otherwise I will swoop in and take your topaz.
2.gif
It is your obligation to go get that stone. And then take pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Glad we got that cleared up.

pamplemousse

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 5:46:07 AM
Author: LostSapphire
You are posting in the wrong forum: WE''RE THE ENABLERS
9.gif

It''s so true.

Hope it does look like what you want...

And that you come back with lots of pics.
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a different stone and now I'm regretting it. The 1ct cushion had a window, I bought a 1.59 ct pink spinel oval instead, but I had forgotten my loupe and just bought it. It's very included-with one of them breaking the surface and a chip on the side of the girdle. So I think I'll probably take it back...Ugh. Do you guys want to see it anyway?

7.gif

ETA: I'm taking it back...Poo...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Sorry Freke.
8.gif
That''s a bummer. I''d like to see it if you feel like posting. You''ll get your pink spinel. I too have pink spinels on the brain lately.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I exchanged it for a 9mm x 7mm oval Burmese peridot that needs a recut. A bit deep. I'll post pics later. Gotta go do some 4th of July stuff....

I wonder if Barry Bridgestock would recut it...

ETA: I didn't take any pics coati. I'm sorry....

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 3:25:29 PM
I exchanged it for a 9mm x 7mm oval Burmese peridot that needs a recut. A bit deep. I''ll post pics later. Gotta go do some 4th of July stuff....

I wonder if Barry Bridgestock would recut it...

ETA: I didn''t take any pics coati. I''m sorry....

Well, that sounds like a promising consolation prize.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry it didn''t work out. But the peridot should be nice once it''s finished.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. All of these were taken in a moving vehicle, so excuse the fuzziness. There is a chip in the girdle (bottom right shows it) and two feathers that I''m aware of. Also, a very small chunk of something else in one of the sides of the pavilion that you can''t see in these pics or from the top. I like the color of the stone, but it''s cut pretty deeply. I''m wondering how much Barry would charge for a recut, because this cut does nothing for the stone. It''s plenty sparkly, but the only thing I''m drawn to is the color. Which you can see it''s variance through these pics.

Honestly? Twinge of unease. Tempted to set it as is-in a bezel, and just let it be because I''m afraid of what a cutter would say. I have a small oval peridot ring and I think this one would look nice as a pendant.

Thoughts?

Peridot Collage.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear FG

I can''t help but laugh a little. You remind me of my son. It''s one thing to regret buying what my have been quite a steal, but it is another to not buy anything. Take half of the cost of the spinel, put it in an envelope, and add to it as you can and when a lovely spinal turns up, you will be ready for it. I would return the peridot and wait for the spinel.
I admit I am not crazy about peridot. I love these envelopes in my desk. I''m ready for the bargain.

Of course, do what suits you in the end.

Thanks,
Annette

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I returned the peridot. Gorgeous color but the cut and the inclusions were too much for me to deal with.

smitcompton, I didn''t find your comments helpful in the slightest.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke,

I am sorry it didn''t turn out. I am sure the right stone will show up in the near future.

Love, Linda

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 3:18:19 PM
I returned the peridot. Gorgeous color but the cut and the inclusions were too much for me to deal with.

smitcompton, I didn''t find your comments helpful in the slightest.
I think she was just trying to say that you''ll find the perfect stone in the end :)

I''m curious - which shop did you get these at?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mama''s Minerals. Don''t go there. At least for gems. For other random stuff, yes, but not gems.

I still like the color of the peridot.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Did all that talk about the 80's getting you itchy for a spinel??
3.gif

I have to admit, I do love some of those pretty pink stones. At least I now how to look for chip in the girdle. Who knew I stone a girdle? I always just assumed it was an undergarment.

I love that I am learning so much about gemstones.

p.s. Your teacher needs to be put in her place...like the back of the room.
38.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke,
I''m sorry that things didn''t work out and hope you''ll have better luck next time.
$80 for a 1 ct. pink spinel seems suspiciously cheap. I''ve been warned that there are a lot of synthetic spinels out there, so I''m passing that warning on to you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Harriet. I know it wasn''t synthetic though-unless someone is in the business of making ridiculously included pink spinel. But it''s still good to know.

...sigh...

Live and learn right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results