shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday Parties for Animals?

Birthday parties for animals, weird? not weird?

• Weird

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • Not Weird

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Whatever makes them happy

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a birthday party for my cat. I had one when he was 5 and then when he was 10, but it's basically just a good excuse for us to have a themed party (this year it was Mardi Paw) and have all our friends over in the Summer. It's pretty tongue-in-cheek, but it's still pretty great. We even made a pin the tail on the cat game. Again, really it's just about having a reason to party.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
I say to each their own. Some people consider their pets to be family too, and have stocking at xmas for their pets etc. ( I do) Although I have never held a formal gathering for my dogs, they do get treated to a new toy and a "special "dinner for their bday. I wouldnt think it was wierd if I got an invite to a dog bday party either, but then again I am a hard core dog person. So I would go, and bring my 2 crazies along with some tennis balls or something.

ETA- I have to add that I really agree with Idliketobuyaval about the whole pet cognitive abilities being based on how much training/ owner interaction with said pet there is. My pets know over 100 words (easily), respond to verbal/hand gestures, recognise gifts for them/can open them. I think people really underestimate how intelligent animals are, especially if you work with them consistently. A person can get so much more out of their pet if they develop an actual relationship with instead of just tossing it in the backyard and seeing him/her a few times a week. Sorry for the thread jack.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We never have parties for our animals, but we do remember and acknowledge their birthdays. We usually acknowledge them by giving the cats special treats, and taking the dog for an extra long walk or on a special play date. Sometimes we'll buy her a new dog toy on her birthday, but we do that on other days, too.

I've been to parties for animals, and while I don't generally condone treating animals as if they're people (because it just isn't good for them,) I'm always up for a good party! Life is short, and I think we should take every opportunity to celebrate. Of course, I throw Apple Fest every fall, so I'm in no position to judge.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
We never have parties for our animals, but we do remember and acknowledge their birthdays. We usually acknowledge them by giving the cats special treats, and taking the dog for an extra long walk or on a special play date. Sometimes we'll buy her a new dog toy on her birthday, but we do that on other days, too.

I've been to parties for animals, and while I don't generally condone treating animals as if they're people (because it just isn't good for them,) I'm always up for a good party! Life is short, and I think we should take every opportunity to celebrate. Of course, I throw Apple Fest every fall, so I'm in no position to judge.

you promised pics from the apple fest! I'm waiting :lickout:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, now that I think about it, I buy and wrap Christmas presents for my dog every year. I can't put them under the tree though because he seems to know which ones are his and tries to get them! On Christmas morning we make a big deal out of giving him his presents and he tears off the paper by himself and gets really excited about his new toys. Honestly, he behaves eerily like a person. So in all fairness, people who aren't into dogs or pets might find me a little weird!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
sctsbride09 said:
... have stocking at xmas for their pets etc. ( I do)

We do that.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My mom and I are probably in the upper percentile for crazy pet people - we definitely think of our pets as family members and we do a lot for them, but we haven't gone so far as to throw them birthday parties. That said, we always acknowledge their birthdays and give them treats and little toys, so maybe the day of pet b-day parties isn't so far off for us :razz:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For whom the party is in honor of, I care not, so long as there is a treat for me in form of spiked punch or whatever alcoholic beverage the hosts may have provided. :saint: :praise:

Seriously, though, I really don't care if people want to host parties for their pets. I can't remember having been invited to such a fete, but I would probably be thrilled if I received an invitation. Why not? There are too few things in life to celebrate, and far too many to lament.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
For whom the party is in honor of, I care not, so long as there is a treat for me in form of spiked punch or whatever alcoholic beverage the hosts may have provided. :saint: :praise:

I really wish you lived closer!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:

Seriously, though, I really don't care if people want to host parties for their pets. I can't remember having been invited to such a fete, but I would probably be thrilled if I received an invitation. Why not? There are too few things in life to celebrate, and far too many to lament.

This will make me sound like a bad, bad person, but honestly, since I don't particularly like kids, I'd rather be invited to and attend a party in a cuddly, furry being's honor than a small child who will be bouncing off the walls and screaming later from a sugar high ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
monarch64 said:

I really wish you lived closer!

Hahahahaha! We would have some fun, wouldn't we!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G. said:
monarch64 said:

This will make me sound like a bad, bad person, but honestly, since I don't particularly like kids, I'd rather be invited to and attend a party in a cuddly, furry being's honor than a small child who will be bouncing off the walls and screaming later from a sugar high ;-)

Nah, doesn't make you sound like a bad person. Any kiddie party I've been to lately has involved one of those bouncy houses or lots of kid-friendly activities, so the adult/kid contact is minimal for those who aren't attending as parents. I love kids, but I feel you on the party situation. It takes a lot of energy for us non-child-parents to keep up at those functions!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Nashville said:
VRBeauty said:
No weirder than throwing a birthday party for a one-year old kid, IMHO. The kid doesn't know the difference, doesn't know why he or she is getting dressed up, and in all likelihood doesn't need the cake or the gifts. For some parents I suppose it's an excuse to have their friends and family over, while others do actually think it's somehow for the baby, or might even feel guilty if they didn't throw that first party. I don't know whether either of those applies to your friend, but it seems to me like much the same thing...

BTW one of my former co-workers and her hubby have an annual bash for their dogs. They invites mainly other dog -- and of course their dogs. Sounds pretty harmless to me.

A one year old child is not a pet. A birthday party for a baby is time for the family to celebrate a new life coming into the family unit. If people want to include their dogs in that kind of thing that's their business, but I do think there is a BIG difference between a party for a pet and a party for a baby.

Well.... I'm certainly not trying to add heaviness to the topic, but this reminds me of the thread a while back about whether or not you were annoyed if someone referred to their pets as their children, or something like that.

It is a little weird, but it's really not hurting anyone. And for some of us without children who wish they had them (I have lost two this year), they really are the next best thing. Maybe that's a little self-serving, but I genuinely think my cats enjoy the attention we lavish on them. My young Siamese kitty had her first birthday in July, complete with a candle stuck in her favorite soft catfood and a present. We didn't invite guests to attend, but we did sing and my older cat wore her tuxedo. I think she enjoyed it.:bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christmas stockings for the dogs..um..ok, so we found some spazzy chicken fabric last year and were going to have a friend make Chicken a stocking, but weren't sure if she was still going to be here or not so we didn't. We did however buy her 2 toys similar to her favorite Suspicious Chicken toy. So I can't :???: too much at parties for them now can I?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a little bit weird to have an actual party with invites and guests etc, but i don't think it is weird to celebrate a birthday, even if the pet doesn't know entirely what is going on!

Last year we celebrated my pony's 40th Birthday on the 1st of August. I'm really glad that we did because she didn't make it to 41. :(sad Anyway, I bought a couple of cakes, a 'my little pony' chocolate mud cake because of the pretty ponies on the icing and an apple tea cake that I thought she would actually like. Turns out she refused to eat the apple tea cake but really enjoyed the chocolate one! :bigsmile:

sweetheartcake4592227_n.jpg

Attachments

• sweetheartcake.bmp
    801.7 KB · Views: 119
  • sweetheartcake2.bmp
    801.7 KB · Views: 115
  • sweetheartcake5.bmp
    802.2 KB · Views: 133

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:
Yeah, now that I think about it, I buy and wrap Christmas presents for my dog every year. I can't put them under the tree though because he seems to know which ones are his and tries to get them! On Christmas morning we make a big deal out of giving him his presents and he tears off the paper by himself and gets really excited about his new toys. Honestly, he behaves eerily like a person. So in all fairness, people who aren't into dogs or pets might find me a little weird!

Our dog visibly sulks on christmas morning when we are opening presents until he gets his, then he is happy again. It is hilarious! Has me in tears every year. :))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree said:
junebug17 said:

Our dog visibly sulks on christmas morning when we are opening presents until he gets his, then he is happy again. It is hilarious! Has me in tears every year. :))
That's so cute HOT! I know it sounds a bit crazy to compare dogs to humans, but these pooches are just so smart! If I'm having a bad day and say to my dog "mommy's sad" he comes over to me and licks my face and snuggles with me. Ok, I better stop or I'll have to start a poll on how weird people think I am lol!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beautiful horse HOT, it must have been so difficult for you.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hawaianetc., your pony is gorgeous! What kind? In the pics she seems more horse size. Anyway, 40th birthday!!! What a testiment to your loving care. I'm glad you gave her a b'day party too & I'm sure she's waiting for her 41st from you at the Bridge. I'm sure you miss that pretty girl incredibly.

That's what I call the right kind of birthday party for an animal -- some treat that gives its owner at least as much pleasure as the pet but is still animal-appropriate. People go wrong, in my opinion, when they treat their pets like 4-legged humans. It does not make for a happy nor a well-behaved dog (or cat, etc.). Dogs need to do dog stuff & to know where they fit into their pack (family) hierarchy. I'm speaking from decades of experience w/dog & cat behavior work, training, adopting as many as I can manage & rescuing more. And loving them all.

An episode of Dog Whisperer is a great illustration. Two guys had a Yorkie whom they dressed every morning in a different little custom-made person's suit & even, heaven forfend, tiny doll shoes on all 4 feet. This critter NEVER walked; they carried him everywhere or wheeled him in a doll carriage, cooed & stuffed him with yummy treats all day. He became aggressive & cranky, bit visitors & when he bit them too, they called in Cesar, who explained the problem well. A dog's instinct when he senses a vacuum of authority on the hierarchical rung above him, is to try to move up into it. (People do the same. Picture any weak boss, teacher, parent, etc., you've had.) Their making a little human king of him told his dog-mind that he was the boss. Therefore, he was bossing them canine-fashion, nipping when displeased, growling to tell them he was Alpha. He was also frustrated without doggy activities & got waaay too little exercise. Once Cesar got them to dump the clothing, put the dog on the ground & let him walk like a canine, sniff around outside, generally be a DOG, and obey commands, everything became peaceful & fine.

The friends dressing the dog up on his birthday rang that bell for me. No reason not to have a party for your dog -- if you don't behave as if he's your child. You may feel he is (don't we all?) but Let Him Be A DOG, not a tiny person. You may love him as you would your own kid; for his sake, remember that he is not.

--- Laurie

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not saying animals aren't smart, or deserving of love, or don't like/need attention. I love all animals!

I voted "Whatever makes them happy" on the poll. In my own world/opinion, a child is very different from a pet, so I personally didn't see how there's "no difference" in throwing either a birthday party. In my own experience, throwing a pet a birthday party is something you might do when you're a little kid, but has never been something that's occurred to me to do as an adult. I don't have anything against pet birthdays, I just probably wouldn't organize one, and to be honest I've never known anyone who has and didn't realize it's so common. And I have no pets anyway ATM, so it's a moot point!

Everyone should be able to have their own opinion, doncha think? :wavey: Party on!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize I went off on a bit of a tangent talking about how perceptive I think my dog is, I just like talking about my dog!

I voted "whatever makes them happy". Since I turned 50 this year, it's hit me how fast the years fly by, so I think people should just do what they want as long as they're not hurting anyone. Life really is pretty short, might as well have some fun along the way.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:
hawaiianorangetree said:
junebug17 said:

That's so cute HOT! I know it sounds a bit crazy to compare dogs to humans, but these pooches are just so smart! If I'm having a bad day and say to my dog "mommy's sad" he comes over to me and licks my face and snuggles with me. Ok, I better stop or I'll have to start a poll on how weird people think I am lol!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beautiful horse HOT, it must have been so difficult for you.

That is so true junebug! They really are intelligent animals and i don't think people give them enough credit. It's amazing how they can 'feel' what you are feeling. And I don't think you are crazy! :))

Thank you for your kind words about our girl. She had a wonderful long life (longer than most!) so i try to think about that when it gets me sad. Her name was Sweetheart, and she really was just that. :))

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Hawaianetc., your pony is gorgeous! What kind? In the pics she seems more horse size. Anyway, 40th birthday!!! What a testiment to your loving care. I'm glad you gave her a b'day party too & I'm sure she's waiting for her 41st from you at the Bridge. I'm sure you miss that pretty girl incredibly.

--- Laurie

Thanks Laurie! She was a Welsh Mountain Pony. She stood at 13.3 hands high so was still a pony 'just'. I am sure she is waiting for us too, and in the mean time is taking advantage of all that green grass in the paddock that she was never allowed to have too much of. :))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HOT, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your lovely girl, she looks like an absolute darling. She did have a wonderful long life, that's something. My horse died at 36 a few years back, and I don't think I'll ever be done missing him, but well, he was tired. ;(

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welsh Mountain Pony, how neat. Haven't met one before. Neighbors have an Irish Bog Pony who loves to bite, but I taught him not to nip at me & he likes ear rubs. They don't take very good care of him, breaks my heart.

Aww, Jennifer, you made me choke all up. He was tired. What a beautiful way of putting that. I'll try to remember it when my 13-yr-old Siberian goes, dreading, dreading. I love you guys giving your horses such wonderful lives. And everyone else too, of course, for your caring for your 4-footed buddies. They add so much to this world & I feel privileged to have known all of mine, though I miss each one as long as I breathe. And you're right, they do know a great deal more than most people give them credit for, but also in their own marvelous way that is different from ours, thank goodness!

--- Laurie

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree said:
junebug17 said:

Santa always brings canned food for our pets on Christmas morning. It's mostly for the kids to see. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results