shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday gift- Mahenge earrings

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Hi all :)

My mother has heard me speaking about spinel and my love for the stones etc.
She was going to get these earrings for me for my birthday but then freaked out when I told her
there were lots of synthetic spinel and a ton to know about buying colored stones etc.

Anyway, she was really proud of herself for finding these and honestly, I know nothing about the
site or much about mahenge/costs etc.

Just need opinions on them if you have time.

Thanks!

Mahenge and diamond earrings

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could find the thread, but someone posted on here that they got a stone from the Liquidation Channel, they sent it to a lab, and it turned out synthetic even though it was advertised as natural.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
TL|1311288500|2974121 said:
I wish I could find the thread, but someone posted on here that they got a stone from the Liquidation Channel, they sent it to a lab, and it turned out synthetic even though it was advertised as natural.

No need for the thread :)
Thank you very much!

guiding her to other sites now since she's showing an interest. :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto - there are lots of synthetic spinels out there.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1311342565|2974512 said:

I'm imagining that for the average person to test these things it would be lots of equipment although I like the thought of being able to do that myself. Need more hours in the day...

and thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FallenRox|1311363550|2974764 said:
Chrono|1311342565|2974512 said:

I'm imagining that for the average person to test these things it would be lots of equipment although I like the thought of being able to do that myself. Need more hours in the day...

and thanks!

I often can see natural inclusions in spinels like bubbles, and I prefer spinels with these types of inclusions, as they prove they are natural. Some spinels are synthetic, but their inclusions are more difficult to see from what I've heard. In other words, if the stone looks too clean, beware.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
TL
I often can see natural inclusions in spinels like bubbles, and I prefer spinels with these types of inclusions, as they prove they are natural. Some spinels are synthetic, but their inclusions are more difficult to see from what I've heard. In other words, if the stone looks too clean, beware.
--------------------------------

Absolutely. In fact, I love my little inclusions and bubbles so much that I know which way I want the stone to sit in my ering. LOL

But for a person like me to take my own spinel and truly test it- I'm guessing that's lots of equipment, learning and $ ? I don't even know how much it costs to take a stone to a jeweler and have them test it to see if it's real.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
FallenRox|1311371619|2974868 said:
TL

Absolutely. In fact, I love my little inclusions and bubbles so much that I know which way I want the stone to sit in my ering. LOL

But for a person like me to take my own spinel and truly test it- I'm guessing that's lots of equipment, learning and $ ? I don't even know how much it costs to take a stone to a jeweler and have them test it to see if it's real.

I could probably do it but that is after 2 years of training and with around $1k of equipment. Your average jeweller will not be able to test to check for synthetic spinel versus natural, you will need a qualified gemmologist for that.

Much easier and cheaper to pay for a lab to test it - or even better buy from a reputable source.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Martin Fuller in Virginia (DC Metro area) appraised a spinel for me in an hour, including an insurance appraisal, pictures, and educating me. You can call him for his rates, and I believe he has a PS discount. There are multiple positive reviews about his service here, and I highly recommend him. He is really expert appraiser and has worked for the Smithsonian.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Pandora|1311432722|2975191 said:
TL

I could probably do it but that is after 2 years of training and with around $1k of equipment. Your average jeweller will not be able to test to check for synthetic spinel versus natural, you will need a qualified gemmologist for that.

Much easier and cheaper to pay for a lab to test it - or even better buy from a reputable source.

Are you in Ohio? :)
I make awesome lasagna!

Seriously, I need to make a local connection with the gem association around here. I'm to interested in more knowledge to not.

Thank you again for your thoughts =)

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1311644590|2976777 said:
Martin Fuller in Virginia (DC Metro area) appraised a spinel for me in an hour, including an insurance appraisal, pictures, and educating me. You can call him for his rates, and I believe he has a PS discount. There are multiple positive reviews about his service here, and I highly recommend him. He is really expert appraiser and has worked for the Smithsonian.

Excellent info :) Thank you! I will add him to my roster for possibilities in the future.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
FallenRox|1311648820|2976842 said:
Pandora|1311432722|2975191 said:
TL

Are you in Ohio? :)
I make awesome lasagna!

Seriously, I need to make a local connection with the gem association around here. I'm to interested in more knowledge to not.

Thank you again for your thoughts =)

UK I'm afraid - I like lasagna... :blackeye:

Definitely try and join your local gem association - gemmologists are all a bit odd (the British ones are anyway) and all seem to have beards (mainly the men), but I've never met one who isn't interesting to talk to!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results