shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bshor

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My wonderful fiance''s birthday is coming up ... and guess what, it''s the day after Valentine''s day. Talk about a tough one-two combination!

Anyway, I was thinking of buying her diamond stud earrings to go along with her beautiful 1.61 H&A AGS000 engagement ring.
1.gif

I found these two on Overstock.com, where I''ve had good experiences with purchases before. I''m torn between the white gold and the platinum earrings. Both have the same "G-H color and SI1-I rating". I realize these aren''t the most tight of ratings, but I''m still paying off the e-ring!
5.gif

My fiance''s ring is currently set in white gold, but that''s a temporary setting before we change it to a platinum setting.

Sorry for being a clueless man, but, a couple of questions. I know that platinum is heavier than white gold -- are platinum earrings too heavy to be comfortable to wear on a day-to-day basis?

Also, is there enough of a color difference between platinum and white gold that there would be a mismatch between the earrings and her future platinum e-ring?

Finally, should I be afraid of a 3-prong setting for earrings? Is there a chance the stone might fall out? Or is that something to only be concerned about for rings, which have a higher chance of getting caught on something?

Platinum diamond stud earrings
White gold diamond stud earrings

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people can''t wear white gold earrings, because of the nickel content of white gold. Platinum earrings while more expensive are very comfortable to wear. Just something to think about. Good luck, also a funny thing my dh''s bday is the 15th too!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
1) plat is fine for day to day wear in ears- these are not huge settings so weight will not be an issue.
2) color difference will not be an issue. plat and white gold a very similar in color. her ering earrings are far enough apart no one will notice.
3) 3 prongs are not a problem as long as the prongs are holding the stone correctly.

I prefer the 4 prong setting, it may make the earrings look bigger. BTW, keep in mind that these are smaller than 1/4 inch. The picture can fool you! You might want to swing by a "maul" store to get an idea of what you are getting in terms of size and setting. I''m only mentioning it because i recently had a friend get a surprise when the earrings he bought for his gf were not as big as he thought they would be.

good luck!

dobie

Rough_Rock
I just got a pair of diamond studs for my GF similar to that platinum one you linked to. For less than 450 USD, I think it is a great buy. I paid more than double for mine, but my diamonds have better specs and the studs were not pre-made. I just received my studs a couple of days ago and found them already too small to my liking. But I do think the 0.54 ctw studs I got are perfect for everyday wear. I did search these forums for diamond studs and found women with 1.5+ ct erings usually have bigger studs to match the erings.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bshor,

I just purchased jubilee diamond studs at Christmas and now I''m wishing I would of paid extra for platinum settings. I think the martini is a very nice look. I am sure she will be happy with either pair. I would go with platinum if $ wasn''t a issue.

Best,

Lori/yellowfan

bshor

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everybody's advice. I think I'm leaning towards the platinum ones at this point.

I wonder if 0.5 carat total weight diamond studs are too small for everyday wear? It's difficult to imagine what they would look like in relation to my intended's ear!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results