shape
carat
color
clarity

Birks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

futures

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice. I had to decide amongst two diamonds of very similar dimensions and price points. I am sure they are both excellent.

Diamond 1: $6250 or so
Cut H&A, AGS0 (don't have the exact numbers handy)
Thin girdle, Non Faceted
Carat 1.01
Colour H (I was told it was a near G)
Clarity VVS2

Diamond 2: $6450 or so
Cut H&A, AGS0 (don't have the exact numbers handy)
Thin to medium thin girdle, Faceted
Carat 1.01
Colour G
Clarity VS2

The diamond supplier suggests that the H diamond was the better of the two as it was nearer G colour than I. Considering I was prepared to go with Birks. I'm sure I'm already much better off.

I plan to propose to my girlfriend with just the stone and have her select the setting and bands at a later date. Is that unusual?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/6/2003 1:23
6.gif
0 PM futures wrote:

I plan to propose to my girlfriend with just the stone and have her select the setting and bands at a later date. Is that unusual?

----------------
Gee, I don't know if it's unusual or not to propose with just the stone.

I'd suggest an alternative though. Have it set in a very inexpensive setting....plain solitaire or something....just for the proposal. She can still select the permanent setting/bands at a later date.

Every girl on the planet who is proposed to wants to wear her ring on the spot....gaze at it and show it off. Also, it's safer to have it mounted as it's less likely to be dropped/lost.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Under normal circumstances I would say go for the G VS but since it seems more expensive due to the color hike...and if the jeweler says he sees the H as closer to G...the first seems good as well. I would make the decision and get the stone independently appraised to clarify the G/H color issue. The difference in price between the two stones is slight. It's a hard call to make without more info on the specs of the stones. If their cuts are very similar, they both sound good and it really ends up being a preference decision on your end.

On proposing, either way sounds great, you know her best, so would she appreciate the opportunity to pick out a ring and setting with you? Or would she want to wear the ring right away regardless of what it is set in? You can get an inexpensive white gold solitaire setting for about $200 and have the stone set into that. She may love it! Another idea is to upgrade or change the setting before or after the wedding if you find a ring 'set' you really like. You have more options. Either way, the stone will overwhelm her I am sure! If it is unset, you can show her the stone with a loupe and tweezers and really get her to fall in love with it. Or if it is set she can wear it right away (I have to agree with AJ that most women want to wear the ring right after a proposal). Any way you choose, good luck!!
2.gif

futures

Rough_Rock
How about Scotch tape around the diamond and fingure? I feel a little uncomfortable having the diamond set several times. Besides, I would feel badly parting with the setting/ring used in a proposal. Solution would be not to use one at all! I'll inquire about it and see the cost factor, etc. I've already extended myself a bit.

Thanks!

Tim

Rough_Rock
I found this stone in Toronto, Canada. Can some one tell me whether it is a good buy.

GIA EX/EX 1.21, F, VVS1 for $CAN 13,500. For today exchange rate, that is about $US 9,642. The stone is H&A. I looked at it using the H&A scope and the arrows are very consistent.

Thanks,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results