shape
carat
color
clarity

Biggest carat size for a small hand? 3 carats too big?

aptp

Rough_Rock
I am purchasing an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Women in our social circle tend to have large diamonds (2 carats and above) and I know she would like a large ring as well. However, she has small hands (I think her finger size is 4). What is the largest round brilliant diamond that would look good on her? I wouldn't want it to look over the top/bulky, but definitely looking for something that is eye-catching and beautiful. Would 3 carats looks fine? 3.5? What is the maximum size you would recommend?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, ring size is one thing but finger length counts too. Do you have any idea what size stone she is hoping for? A two carat diamond is still a large stone and commands quite a presence. Can you take her shopping to see what she likes? Tiffany has rings in 2.00, 2.25, 2.50 etc. which might give you both an idea of what size your like and what is comfortable for her. A large stone in a ring that spins, sits too high, or is too delicate is something that is not comfortable and therefore might be eliminated as well. I don't wear my rings around the house for housework and such but I want a ring that is comfortable to wear in normal circumstances when I am out of the house.

Get her opinion - she will wear this ring for many years to come and she should a) like it and b) have something she considers comfortable.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough question. It depends on the person. I have size 8 finger and a 3 ct looked super big on me but a 2 ct looked small. I think for me a 2.5 would be my sweet spot. Other people carry a 3 ct or bigger and feel very comfortable. I'm sure I could get used to a 3 ct if I had one!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never known a woman to complain about size

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size is relative to where you live, what your circle of friends and colleges wear, what she is comfortable wearing, and her finger size. I'm a 4.75 and I wear a 5.34 carat stone most of the time. I think a 3 carat stone would be substantial on her but balanced at the same time. Take her to try on stones, if she wants a large rock, then anywhere from 2.50 to 3.50 is probably going to look good it's just a matter of what she prefers.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have given you measured, wise advice so far. But coming from a size whore, 3 carats on a size 4 finger, NO PROBLEM!

I am a 4.5 and wear a 3 carat. These days, it never seems too big. I could definitely go up to 4 carats.

The setting makes a big difference too. If your stone is set high, even a 2 carat can seem "in your face". I had one of those industrial, old school peg heads and it made my 2.59 look awkward. Now I have a 3 carat set really nice and low, and it's so much more elegant and unobtrusive.

Tiffany settings to me set the stone too high. You should go to some antique jewelry stores and see how larger stones set low look like.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
It's personal taste but 3 should be fine. I'm size 4 and have a 2.5 carat solitaire and it looks a good size on me.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
While it is a matter of personal taste, I have never heard a woman complain that her diamond was too big.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the girdle overhangs the sides of her finger... then it might be too big. Otherwise, it'll be fine. [emoji41]

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
msop04|1478237884|4093558 said:
If the girdle overhangs the sides of her finger... then it might be too big. Otherwise, it'll be fine. [emoji41]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Msop!

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
I wear a 4.25 ring size and have a 2.5 round which looks great for my finger size. If she has a size 4 ring finger 2.5 should be plenty!

img_0895.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most important factor in this equation is your budget for the diamond. Because I'd rather have an ideal cut, nice color and clarity 2.5 ct any day over a 3.5 that is poorly cut or too low in color and clarity. We can help you find a great diamond when you are ready to buy.

I'd say the upper end of the diamonds in the social circle might keep you from having to upgrade the diamond later. Diamond prices are good right now, so it is a good time to maximize size.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1478273997|4093671 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Msop!

No one wants a tight girdle!

:dance:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are getting sound advice, especially from those who are advising a shopping and sizing trip with your fiance. Not much mentioned, and very popular right now is also the consideration of a halo setting. It may or may not be preferable in her social circle, but a high quality diamond with fantastic cut, set in a well-proportioned halo setting could be a great option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1478224440|4093495 said:
Never known a woman to complain about size
I have.

After the joy of having a big rock initially wears off some people feel uncomfortable wearing such a large diamond in their particular area. I know people who have sold their diamond becuase they were just uncomfortable wearing them around the town/their friends.

I'm not one of those people though lol. Op, you should know if you're girlfriend is or not.

aptp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone think that there is a point at which others start wondering if your ring is real or fake? Say, 4 carats and above? I don't want anyone wondering if she's actually wearing a diamond or if it's just a similar looking material. I know PSer's first response will be 'why do you care what anyone thinks?!' but I know she will care, hence the question. Looking to strike a balance between large and eye catching, but not to the point of being fake-looking.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay, not a RB, but I have a 3.96ct OEC in a FAT halo on a size 4.25 finger. It's also a yellow diamond. I'm 31 and my husband is 30 and tattooed. We definitely do not look like people who would have something like this, so I *think* most people assume it's fake or not a diamond (I've gotten some "Is that a sapphire?"). If she's comfortable with going BIG, go BIG if you can afford it. One day, the people in her friend group with 2cts may upgrade to 4cts. But, if you can have it now and never upgrade, why not?! Yes, go on a sizing trip. "Too big" is personal preference and relative. As someone from a small town, there are a lot of people out there who will assume a 2ct is fake.

_6261.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aptp|1478567057|4094988 said:
Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone think that there is a point at which others start wondering if your ring is real or fake? Say, 4 carats and above? I don't want anyone wondering if she's actually wearing a diamond or if it's just a similar looking material. I know PSer's first response will be 'why do you care what anyone thinks?!' but I know she will care, hence the question. Looking to strike a balance between large and eye catching, but not to the point of being fake-looking.

It depends on where you are and who you hang out with. I mean seriously. You say she does care. Tell that lovely young fiancé of yours that she should start learning not to. I know people may disagree but there will always be the jealous or mean few who wil think that. Your gonna let the opinion of a complete stranger who has no meaning to you or your life affect your decision of what to do? Life is too short. She just needs to get old and then you don't give a fark what people say. You just do and wear what you like and makes you happy.

To answer your question, people may start saying it's fake (not that it looks fake, but just by sheer size) when it's past 5 carats-ish. I live in northern CA where big rocks are common. And I never think people's stuff is fake, no matter how big or how young the wearer may be. The grungiest looking people up here can be millionaires. Don't judge and don't make assumptions.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over here in the UK, unless one in is living in London and either mixing with or servicing the super-rich, anything over 1ct is 'large'!

I can't imagine anyone wearing a 3ct rock day-to-day over here and doing the grocery shopping while wearing it, that would seem most incongruous :lol:

That said, to a certain extent I agree with the posters above - wear what you want and don't give a damn what others think :)) - but personal security would always be my main concern. I wouldn't walk through some parts of London wearing even half a carat unless I'd turned my ring round so the diamond was against my palm! :shock: :lol:

re: the 'is it CZ?' question, perhaps it is good if people think such a large stone is, as it would mean being less of a target :) I think that the vast majority of people don't know what well cut diamonds look like anyway, so only the few of us who do would know what to look for to ID it as real! lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results