shape
carat
color
clarity

bigger diamond more sparkle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

teamday13

Rough_Rock
This may seem like an obvious question, but assuming all things are the same (cut, color, clarity, angles, etc.) does a larger diamond sparkle more than a smaller one, or is it just bigger? I''m assuming it does due to it''s ability to gather more light...thanks for the help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 12:22:38 PM
Author:teamday13
This may seem like an obvious question, but assuming all things are the same (cut, color, clarity, angles, etc.) does a larger diamond sparkle more than a smaller one, or is it just bigger? I'm assuming it does due to it's ability to gather more light...thanks for the help!
To me they sparkle " differently". Very small well cut melee have a type of ' shimmer' to my eyes, diamonds of around a carat or less have the more traditional sparkle we often see. Very large diamonds of about 2 - 4 carats ( assuming rounds) have a slower more intense flash to my eyes, the facets appear to turn on and off a little slower like a lighthouse beam.

These are my personal thoughts and are based on actual observation from a non expert. So in my opinion a well cut diamond will sparkle but maybe the visual effects will be a little different depending on the size.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 12:28:46 PM
Author: Lorelei

This may seem like an obvious question, but assuming all things are the same (cut, color, clarity, angles, etc.) does a larger diamond sparkle more than a smaller one, or is it just bigger? I''m assuming it does due to it''s ability to gather more light...thanks for the help!

To me they sparkle '' differently''. Very small well cut melee have a type of '' shimmer'' to my eyes, diamonds of around a carat or less have the more traditional sparkle we often see. Very large diamonds of about 2 - 4 carats ( assuming rounds) have a slower more intense flash to my eyes, the facets appear to turn on and off a little slower like a lighthouse beam.

These are my personal thoughts and are based on actual observation from a non expert. So in my opinion a well cut diamond will sparkle but maybe the visual effects will be a little different depending on the size.
Well said for a simplified easy to understand explanation.

There is an optimal range of size vs amount of sparkle that people prefer.
This is why very large diamonds should be cut with more facets.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

To me they sparkle '' differently''. Very small well cut melee have a type of '' shimmer'' to my eyes, diamonds of around a carat or less have the more traditional sparkle we often see. Very large diamonds of about 2 - 4 carats ( assuming rounds) have a slower more intense flash to my eyes, the facets appear to turn on and off a little slower like a lighthouse beam.

I think you''re right, Lorelei. My e-ring stone which is my biggest diamond is "slower and more intense than my half carats." My half carats don''t seem to stop sparkeling though lol.
I don''t think I like either more. In the end they''re all beautiful.

teamday13

Rough_Rock
Yes, these seem to be my thoughts, but I am wondering if it was the cut as well (the difference in sizes weren''t as immense as you are describing).

I recently purchased an ideal cut princess from BN, and it sparkles a ton, kinda like a sea of tiny little diamonds inside. I went to look for a band at Jared the other day, and out of curiosity, asked to see the LEO diamond (I had been reading a lot about them, and decided against it). Of course, the guy brings out a larger diamond than mine (1.02 ct vs. 1.50 ct in leo). Everything else aside (mine was MUCH more colorless (E) and a VS1 vs. an S1), the sparkle seemed to be a little different, and I couldn''t decide which was better and if it was the cut or the size difference. The leo had less but seemingly "bigger" flashes of light, whereas mine has many many flashes of light, but a little "smaller." I can''t at this point decide which is better (Also, the leo stone was loose and mine was mounted, so maybe the loose stone let light in through the pavilion as well (artificial sparkle). I am now wanting to have ASET images taken to ease my worry about whether my stone is leaking more light than I had hoped...even though it does sparkle a lot (it is an ideal cut)...pretty much I am searching for the perfect diamond, which doesn''t exist...so I was just wondering if what I noticed being different in the diamonds could be explained by size differences...haha sorry for my babbling.

teamday13

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts...am I just worrying too much? Or should I consider the ASET images...

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you have a perfectly sparkly stone. So yes, you''re probably are worrying too much.
1.gif

If it would make you feel better, you can always post the stats and maybe someone who knows enough about Princess cuts can give you their opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bigger stone will have bigger flashes of light but maybe less often (slow as described by Lorelei) and a smaller stone will have smaller flashes of light but more often aka quicker. This is due to the facet size. I think you are just over analyzing this.
9.gif
Sounds like you already have a beautiful stone. Relax and enjoy it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 12:35:30 PM
Author: elle_chris

I think you''re right, Lorelei. My e-ring stone which is my biggest diamond is ''slower and more intense than my half carats.'' My half carats don''t seem to stop sparkeling though lol.
I don''t think I like either more. In the end they''re all beautiful.
Ditto to you both!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results