shape
carat
color
clarity

Big stone ideas.

Tinkatime

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a BIG diamond and trying to decide what to do with it. The diamond is 10.45 carats, and looks beautiful. It is a showstopper and tops off beautifully. I have GIA certification. I was told when bought the 10.45 stone was N in color.
The GIA has it at U to V. It tops off really nicely but has a cloudy area on one side. Si1, brilliant cut, clarity and cut good. Polish and symmetry very good, no florescence. The ring has a trillion on each side in the present setting. It is out of the setting now and being lightly marketed.
I call her "Star of Texas Tacky." I bought the ring from a Dallas jeweler in the 80's. Dynasty and Southfork were the rage. Big hair, big peplums, big boobs...big everything ! I had inherited some funds and splurged. I am very tall and the ring is very flashy. It's a blast to wear. It gets stares and complements everywhere I go, or went. I don't wear it anymore as I don't live that lifestyle...& in my 70's. Ring stays mostly in a safe.
NOW....I am getting older, my daughters can't split it and don't want it. They say...."Hey Mama... sell it and travel the world a bit, and take us along !!" HA ! Smart cookies !:love:
I originally paid 40k zone, plus traded in another small ring, a broken rolex and other small assorted jewelry. Today, the stone is out of it's setting and twinkling nicely in a jewelry store. I know and trust the jeweler. "Star" gets lots of whistles but no buyers. One jeweler offered 50k. Others offered close to that. I wanted at least $62,500. I know my jeweler well and we are trying to find the best offer. I thought about cutting the stone down, resetting it or buying/trading for a smaller ring or something I would wear more. After commission and /or resetting and shipping, etc. I am frustrated that the value hasn't gone up since the 80's.
This stone gets stares and compliments, but right now it is naked from it's setting. I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake in pricing. Any thoughts of where I could market it....or if the 50k price I am being offered is fair.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome Tinkatime. We would love to see a photo of the stone!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG so jealous of your huge 10ct+ diamond! You also have a lovely story, but I absolutely understand the want to sell and enjoy life since you are no longer enjoying your diamond as much.

Can you please share pics? Also, can you share the GIA number? I think that will help the folks here advice you on proper valuation.

I know that @Phoenix may be interested in a big honker to play with even if it is lower on the color scale.

Your diamond sounds amazing!

Last edited:

Tinkatime

Rough_Rock
Trade
WOW, pronto replies. I don't really have a picture of it. It is out of it's setting and at jeweler since Christmas. Will send pic or do new one. Have to drive a ways to jewelry store.

Tinkatime

Rough_Rock
Trade
OH...... GIA #5182848882

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds amazing.
If it were mine, I would reset it. Just into a simple solitaire setting.
The reason being that if a potential buyer comes along, putting onto their finger creates an “emotional bond”.
It’s human nature. The diamond sitting loose is stunning and amazing but it isn’t “connecting” with potential buyers.
Once it goes onto a finger and the size and sparkle starts to sing, it will be rehomed.
I’d be reluctant to re cut it. It has the very attractive attribute of “size” and this can often overcome the other imperfections in a buyers eyes.

Tinkatime

Rough_Rock
Trade
I guess it is true, as putting the ring on my finger does connect in some way. It also makes me worry about getting mugged. HA ! The setting has a trillion on either side. I think they detract from the larger stone. I will see what I can do by making the ring a solitaire. My jeweler suggested that, but I really want to sell it... and go to Tahiti or somewhere ! I was going to give each daughter a trillion, but afraid they would pierce nose or upper ear with it. Maybe I can have the trillions put in a solitaire necklace for each daughter.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 ct is a very magic weight milestone when it comes to price per carat.

But the cut (which determines how good the light performance is) of this diamond could be better.
GIA has very reputable grading for color and clarity but they are IMO sloppy (and vendor-friendly instead of consumer-friendly) when grading cut.
Even GIA's Excellent cut grade allows proportions that are too deep to deliver the best light performance.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.33.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.34.05 PM.png

HCA grades it at only a 4.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.38.03 PM.png

An HCA score under 2.0 offers the best light performance.
A recut to get the HCA under 2.0 may drop the weight below the magic 10 carat milestone so would not be a good financial decision; after all, few buyers know about good cut.
And at 10 carat your customer is likely to be a size queen, therefore less-likely to also be a cut queen, or king. :???:
Also at 55.7% it's quite shallow compared to an ideal cut so it currently looks (faces up) larger than a well-cut 10 ct.
Looking larger for its carat weight is music to the ears of of size-queens.

But if you'd like to sell a 9.something ct. super-ideal-cut round you could get it recut by someone like Brian Gavin at www.briangavindiamonds.com
Many PS buyers would find a 9.something ct. super ideal to be very very tempting even a light brown U/V. :Up_to_something:

Also, your price sounds very very low to me.
Then again, perhaps not since your jeweler didn't immediately buy it at that price.
Finding comps for such a diamond won't be easy.

Last edited:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am on the bandwagon for pictures! This sounds so so so cool. I love the story behind the stone as well!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yours is not a 1 ct G VS2, specs that many shoppers are looking.
For that reason I would not put it in a local B&M store (no matter how much you like them) because very few people, let alone potential buyers for specs in lower demand, will happen to see it compared to listing it online where it'll come up in searches by the entire world.

I would not use Craigslist for safety reasons.
I'd not use eBay because of huge fees.

You could consign it at the respected New York PS vendor Good Old Gold which has a huge Internet presence.
I did that with a similarly-priced diamond and it worked out very well for me.
If you want to keep all the proceeds instead of paying a commission to a vendor I'd pay a professional photographer to take some good macro pics and make a video.
Then I'd list it on:
www.idonowidont.com
www.loupetroop.com
www.diamondbistro.com

Because of the high value you might consider paying a reputable appraiser to offer escrow services ... appraiser doesn't ship the diamond till the buyer's check fully clears the bank or the funds are safely wired.

To find PS's list of competent professional appraisers ...
At the top of this screen click on Resources.
Then click on Find a Local Appraiser.
Click on your location.

An appraiser can also help you establish a price.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and if you're already in Texas, Brian Gavin is in Houston and would have a recut analysis done at no cost. However I think they charge something like ~350-450 per carat (tho I've never seen a 10 ct come by) if you decide to go for it.

Maja

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yeah, what does ten carats look like in one piece? :?::?: I'm over here, scrunching my little .81 and a few .6s and a bunch of .1s together, trying to come with ten carats, no luck.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.33.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.34.05 PM.png

HCA grades it at only a 4.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 12.38.03 PM.png
Strange, if this GIA report was from the 80's then there shouldn't be a "cut grade" assigned to the stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strange, if this GIA report was from the 80's then there shouldn't be a "cut grade" assigned to the stone.

Howsoever that might be true, I surmise this stone was unmounted in 2017, and sent to GIA for (re)grading.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Howsoever that might be true, I surmise this stone was unmounted in 2017, and sent to GIA for (re)grading.

cheers--Sharon
Yes, most likely the case.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I looked up the report and it is from October 2017.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pics and list it on Loupetroop someone here might buy it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it is true, as putting the ring on my finger does connect in some way. It also makes me worry about getting mugged. HA ! The setting has a trillion on either side. I think they detract from the larger stone. I will see what I can do by making the ring a solitaire. My jeweler suggested that, but I really want to sell it... and go to Tahiti or somewhere ! I was going to give each daughter a trillion, but afraid they would pierce nose or upper ear with it. Maybe I can have the trillions put in a solitaire necklace for each daughter.

I think Bron is saying to put it in a simple solitaire so when potential buyers try it on they may feel an emotional bond (not for you to wear). I would make
it a size that a lot of people could get on their finger like 6.5ish.

Here is a stone at Diamonds by Lauren. Maybe you should talk to him. He sells some big stones. See if he can/will take it on to sell.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/1067ct-yellow-vvs1-cushion-diamond-r8097

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think a solitaire or a recut is needed. I don’t consider that OP needs to spend more money for this stone. A stone holder will do just as fine. Whoever is after a large stone like this will have a very particular idea as to what they want to do with it. I, for one, have purchased multiple rings just for the center diamonds and now have useless solitaires sitting around, I would have much preferred if the stones were available loose. Also, OP already has a setting, she can just mount the diamond again. OP, I would reach out to Erica at Love Affair Diamonds and Grace at Jewels by Grace. I know that Grace doesn’t have the best of reputation amongst some of the PS members, but she has sold some big rocks and I think that she can help with the sale.
If @Phoenix finally sees this, she may be interested in purchasing it directly from you. I know that she regretted not buying another large diamond some months ago. This diamond will make an awesome AVR recut due to the lower color, but I don’t think that is something OP should do as the current size is very alluring and the future owner should decide what they want to do with it and bear any risks associated with a recut.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I loved reading your story. Hope you find a buyer by listing it online. You're getting sound advice here, btw.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a BIG diamond and trying to decide what to do with it. The diamond is 10.45 carats, and looks beautiful. It is a showstopper and tops off beautifully. I have GIA certification. I was told when bought the 10.45 stone was N in color.
The GIA has it at U to V. It tops off really nicely but has a cloudy area on one side. Si1, brilliant cut, clarity and cut good. Polish and symmetry very good, no florescence. The ring has a trillion on each side in the present setting. It is out of the setting now and being lightly marketed.
I call her "Star of Texas Tacky." I bought the ring from a Dallas jeweler in the 80's. Dynasty and Southfork were the rage. Big hair, big peplums, big boobs...big everything ! I had inherited some funds and splurged. I am very tall and the ring is very flashy. It's a blast to wear. It gets stares and complements everywhere I go, or went. I don't wear it anymore as I don't live that lifestyle...& in my 70's. Ring stays mostly in a safe.
NOW....I am getting older, my daughters can't split it and don't want it. They say...."Hey Mama... sell it and travel the world a bit, and take us along !!" HA ! Smart cookies !:love:
I originally paid 40k zone, plus traded in another small ring, a broken rolex and other small assorted jewelry. Today, the stone is out of it's setting and twinkling nicely in a jewelry store. I know and trust the jeweler. "Star" gets lots of whistles but no buyers. One jeweler offered 50k. Others offered close to that. I wanted at least $62,500. I know my jeweler well and we are trying to find the best offer. I thought about cutting the stone down, resetting it or buying/trading for a smaller ring or something I would wear more. After commission and /or resetting and shipping, etc. I am frustrated that the value hasn't gone up since the 80's.
This stone gets stares and compliments, but right now it is naked from it's setting. I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake in pricing. Any thoughts of where I could market it....or if the 50k price I am being offered is fair.

Would it be possible for you to post pics and videos of this diamond in various lighting conditions please? Thank you.

Tinkatime

Rough_Rock
Trade
PHOTOS on my old wrinkly dry hands are too close up for pretty but the ring is at least very visible up close. Finally got the ring back. Had a couple of low offers. Had the prongs replaced to strengthen the setting. I was going to take the two trillions out of the setting but decided paying for more changes after the GIA report, was just a waste of money. Same with cutting it down. Would have to pay again.
I am back to wearing it sometimes. Will hope to find a buyer who just has to have it !

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowee, that is a showstopper! Amazingly huge stone, lucky you, keep wearing it!

Maja

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting the photos, @Tinkatime! It's a huge ring! And stunning, and looks great on your hands. I hope you get to wear it for a long time to come.

(Funny, I had preferences set to alert me when this thread got active again, and just the other day decided you were busy or bored, and might not return, so I silenced the alerts. Glad I didn't miss this, that ring is amazing. And yes, DSS is real. :lol-2::lol-2:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results