shape
carat
color
clarity

big or smaller and pretty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rock-man

Rough_Rock
I can''t decide between a round diamond or a princess cut diamond, but the real problem is deciding between a big stone or a smaller one, but cleaner. Thanks for any help.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Can you give us a few details?? Eg are you talking about a 2cts I I 2/3 and a 0.70ct E VS 2??
In this case, I'd take absolutely the smaller. If you're talking about I 1 clarity, it depends on the cut. Are you looking for a bluff stone??

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rock-Man-Vs2 or better stones are clean stones in which you will not be able to spot inclusions especially if the stone is cut properly. If you want opinions I would go with a round brilliant because it is just my personal preference and they also show more light than a princess cut stone, although there are princess cut stones when cut correctly that will knock your socks off. List a little more about how much you have to work with budget wise and if your looking at getting an ideal cut hearts & arrows stone etc..etc.. and we can help you more. List what color you are willing to go with and what the clarity range is you want to stay in.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
wavey.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Smaller pretty vs large stone.

I vote squarely in the middle. Large stones can be pretty w/ little visual difference once set. Large stones command more attention - give that you don't go too far in sacrificing quality.

What size stone are you looking at?

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Compromise is the way you should lean
Get the biggest you can
But stay nice and eye clean

As far as the shape...
When you make up your mind
Remember round diamonds
Will be easier to find!

(Either way, good luck and enjoy the experience!)

barry

Shiny_Rock
Your first consideration should be Cut.

Go for the best Cut for both Rounds and Princess
and make your evaluations on that.
Admittedly, finding an excellent Cut
Princess is much more difficult than Rounds
but technology exists whereby you can
assess this shape and make an informed decision.

Diamonds that have an excellent Cut will allow you to even go down to an SI-1/2 and will appear eye-clean.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How big vs. how small? If you're talking a *huge* size difference you might disappoint her with a tiny stone. However, a dull, ugly, lifeless stone isn't going to wow anyone either. There's got to be a compromise.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Cruise the PS inventory by searching on your own to start. Set a price point, upper and lower color and clarity parameters (SI1 as lowest to be comfortable to be eye clean) and see what you come up with. If you are looking white gold, maybe stay H and above(unless you are going H&A), yellow gold, go on down to J in color. Start narrowing from there. The biggest bang for your buck will be I and J SI's. A better cut diamond will appear larger and the WOW factor will definitely be a winner.

Or, contact some vendors. Tell them your price point and what you are looking for. They can guide you. There might be a great I1 out there with your name on it.
2.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
Good point, PQ, on I-1's in Ideal cut.
These stones can face up absolutely eye-clean
and are terrific values.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I saw a GIA Certed I1 at a Maul store diamond event a couple weeks back. Granted, it was not a super Ideal cut like an H&A, but I was quite surprised at the grade. I looked it carefully and didn't see anything obvious that jumped out at me. After moving the diamond around quite a bit, I found THE large inclusion that got that diamond it's rating. The cutter did a good job "hiding" the inclusion. Unless you catch it at just the right angle (not a normal ring/jewelry viewing angle), that diamond is 100% eye clean.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results