carat
color
clarity

Big news for me today!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mazel Tov @Mrs_Strizzle!
I love the word grandma. Because grandmas are the best people on earth IMO.
No matter the name I know you will be the best grandma. ♥️

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much everyone! It is a wonderful feeling to be so supported by such an amazing group of humans! I know this is an amazing event in life and we all will wonder how in the world we lived without this baby after arrival, just like every child. It just caught me quite off guard as I was just adjusting to the idea of being a Mother-in-law, lol. I think now the hardest part is going to be for me to keep my mouth shut and not tell her, "don't eat that, do take this, etc". Like I would do if my son were the one carrying the baby. I desperately don't want to be a "Monster-in-law" like I had in my first marriage :naughty:. She is a lovely young lady and I definitely don't want her to feel like she has to put up with me and us not see baby as much as I will want. It also occurred to me that I am very grateful that I now have retired from my medical job and work for myself so I will be much more available to help them too.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
So sweet! My Dad has said for years if he'd had known how cool being a Grandad was gonna be, he would have done that first :lol:

My mom had me cracking up over her assessment that becoming a grandmother made up for the fact that she had to put up with raising us first. ;-)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news all the way around - congratulations!

My Dutch mother went by “Moeke” (moo-keh), a Dutch term of endearment for “mother,” to both her daughter-in-law and her grandkids. I think she really liked that tie to her own mother, who had died when my mother was quite young.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband is Korean American, and when my kids were little they thought Halmuni (grandma) and halebuji (grandpa) sounded like “Money” and “Bougie”….so I guess that is what my grandkids will call us one day…:if we are lucky to have any :).

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@VRBeauty and @jaysonsmom those names are awesome! Hubby is a documented member of the Cherokee Nation and has long decided he would be Eduda (Eh-do-da) probably shortened to Duda so I'm also trying to think of something that rolls with that. Cherokee for grandma is Elisi (Eh-Lee-Cee), which is super cute, but I'm not Cherokee though look more native than my aqua eyed husband!

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
So I got really big news today. My oldest son told me that I'm going to be a grandmother. I am overwhelmed by emotions. I'm excited and nervous. He is 23 and she is 21. They own a house together, both are working in careers they went to school for. But kids are expensive. Their wedding has been planned for this December for a good while.

I also feel a tiny bit selfish, as I think I'm too young to be a grandma :lol: . I will be 45 when this baby arrives, so not too young. But what's a Gen X "grandma" to be called? Believe me I see the hypocrisy because I obviously had him at 21 as well. It's just feels weird when I not only have my parents (thank God) but I still am blessed enough to have both of my grandmothers too!

Any kind words will be greatly appreciated, as I really am happy about this news, just all over the place with emotion.

Congratulations!!!

Apparently I couldn't say grandma or grandpa, so my grandmother was called Bambi and my grandfather Buddy. Those names stuck forever, even with people outside of the family. Maybe your grandchild will come up with a name so don't feel strange about being such a young grandma?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Demon thank you, and you are right. It might be completely up to the baby. My much younger cousin called me "Tay" for many years, even though my name is Megan and we had no idea where she got it from! She is now fully grown and occasionally I hear Tay at family gatherings. Funny how things stick.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!! I became Grandmom to a dog in 2018 and a baby boy last year. I’m 53 and fine with being called that though I’ve realized he will be able to pronounce all the other grandparents ( Mom mom, Poppy and Pop ) names much easier. A friend goes by GiGi which is cute.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! Very happy for you that you’ll soon have a grandchild to love and dote on. I’m your age and honestly I’d have a hard time figuring out a nickname, so I’d just have the baby call me by my first name. I’m sure that sounds weird but my SIL, niece, and I all have the same first name. We’re just used to all of us being called that!

I like the names your husband’s tribe uses for grandparents. That seems appropriate and if you like it, it could work!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! That’s wonderful news! What’s in a name? You’re going to love (from what I hear) being a grandma or nana or whatever this babe calls you!! Enjoy every precious moment! B728C62F-47D5-4D30-9F55-56349A835D43.gif

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! What a blessing!!

We are all smitten with the first grandchild in a family of 30!!
Last time we held a baby was 18 year ago!
New mom has lots of rules so we haven’t all had the pleasure of meeting him, lol. Big change from when we had kids and just let anyone rag doll them, lol.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I somehow missed this...congratulations! I am the grandma to a almost 3 year old grand daughter...its fun stuff!!!! however I am tad older than you lol but at your age you will still have energy me not so much lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I got really big news today. My oldest son told me that I'm going to be a grandmother. I am overwhelmed by emotions. I'm excited and nervous. He is 23 and she is 21. They own a house together, both are working in careers they went to school for. But kids are expensive. Their wedding has been planned for this December for a good while.

I also feel a tiny bit selfish, as I think I'm too young to be a grandma :lol: . I will be 45 when this baby arrives, so not too young. But what's a Gen X "grandma" to be called? Believe me I see the hypocrisy because I obviously had him at 21 as well. It's just feels weird when I not only have my parents (thank God) but I still am blessed enough to have both of my grandmothers too!

Any kind words will be greatly appreciated, as I really am happy about this news, just all over the place with emotion.

once you have that grand baby in your arms ....
you wont want to give him or her back

a name for you will come in its own time =)2
one of my friends - about our age now - was called Nanna Toot because her dog was called Toot
my cousins called their other garndmother Nenna (Because her name was Angazena or something close)

i send well wishes to your own grandmothers
how wondeful for them to meet another generation

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds thank you so much. I know how blessed we all are to still have both my grandmothers. They are 93 and 92 and live independently still! One Aunt lives with my grandma in Northern California not because she has to take care of her but because of housing costs there. This Grandma still walks 2 miles a day and cuts her own grass with an electric push lawnmower! She will not have anyone else do it and it makes her mad to even suggest it.

I know they will be excited for a new baby to love.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to update this thread with a pic of my absolute favorite gem I've ever gotten...baby Henry! IMG_20230708_070554.jpg And I settled on my Grandma name...Gemma.
Congratulations!
Look at that faaaaaaaaaaaaace:love: I just lose it over a baby. I love the name Gemma for a g-ma name. Give my good wishes to this little love's parents. Welcome to the world little bit, you're beyond adorable.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!
Look at that faaaaaaaaaaaaace:love: I just lose it over a baby. I love the name Gemma for a g-ma name. Give my good wishes to this little love's parents. Welcome to the world little bit, you're beyond adorable.

Thank you so much! I call him my tiny bestie, because I can't go too many days without seeing him. My son and DIL sold their house and now live in a house I own across the street from me, so I'm really blessed!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! He is absolutely precious! Enjoy every snuggle and I love the name Gemma!!

P

Petalouda

Congratulations!!!!! Henry is a gorgeous baby and I know he’s already so loved!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @MamaBear , @Diamond Girl 21 , @Jambalaya , and @vintageinjune ! You are all right that I will hopefully be blessed to see more of their lives and have the energy to keep up longer! I hadn't really thought about that. I am grateful for the pleasant thoughts of those things.

My son told me to start thinking of what name to be called. He calls my mom Nana, my grandmothers "Grandma". His fiancée's Mother is already a grandma and is called YaYa. I've got lots of time to think about it and come up with something that doesn't sound to "matronly" to my ears :lol:

Congratulations! I was best friends with my gramma, and she was 70 years older than me. What a gift for you to have more time and energy. Wishing you all the best!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolute cutie!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super adorable bébé! Love the name you chose, very fitting for a PSr!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh he is so gorgeous. Look at that smile, he is definitely going to run arround terrorising everyone and you're totally going to love him for it :lol:.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results