shape
carat
color
clarity

Big (-ish) Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

English Novice

Rough_Rock
I think I''m about to buy this one - PLEASE let me know what you think!

Emerald Cut

clarity - VS2
color - I
carat - 3.74
dimensions : 9.28 x 7.68 x 5.31
depth - 69.1%
table - 65%
crown height 17%
pavilion depth 48%
Girdle - thin

Slight Photoluminescence

Polish/Sym - very good
cert - EGL
appl.gif
appl.gif

Thanks for your help, everyone - this is a great site

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The cert is either an EGL Antwerp or an EGL South Africa. Both labs are terrible, if you ask my opinion, and they are even more inaccurate if the stone has fluorescence.
BTW, the stone has VERY nice proportions... I luv high crowns in emerald cuts!!! The table has a perfect size, depth is very good too, crown is a bit high but I like it and pavilion in not too deep neither shallow. They list the AVERAGE girdle thickness, so be sure to check that it isn't e.g. extremely thin to medium, which may result in a 'thin' average...
1.gif

English Novice

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your reply, Giangi - that's very helpful.
Just out of interest, how can you tell that its not EGL USA just from those numbers?
Is the reputation of EGL Antwerp / South Africa so bad that I should just walk away, in your opinion?

thanks again
wavey.gif

English Novice

Rough_Rock
Or there's this one , EGL USA, F COLOUR for about $2,500 more......- but does the table seem too much?
Which one would you go for?

WEIGHT: 3.29 Crts

Shape and Cut: EMERALD CUT
Measurements: 10.80-6.99-4.64

PROPORTIONS
Total Depth: 66.40%
Table Width: 72.00%
Crown Height: 10.00%
Pavilion Depth: 54.00%
Girdle Thickness: T POLISHED

FINISH
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Culet: NONE

CLARITY GRADE: SI1

COLOR GRADE:** F

Fluorescence: FAINT

Date: Mar 10 2003

canadianice

Rough_Rock
Have you seen the SI1 stone in person? With emerald cut stones, inclusions are more prominent because the diamonds lack the faceting of a round brilliant (or radiant, princess, etc), which can hide inclusions. Especially be wary of inclusions under the table -- they can be quite noticeable.

The stones you are looking at are big, and SI1 clarity pushes the envelope a bit if you don't want to see inclusions.

Make sure it is eyeclean!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
How I can tell? Cause I'm a genius!
9.gif
2.gif

No, actually I can tell it's an EGL SA or Antwerp because percentages are rounded, it looks like the girdle thickness is the average and because of the term ''photoluminescence''.

BTW, Try to stick with 58-68% tables and VS 2 or higher clarity... I advise you to look at VS's cause at this size inclusions are much easier to see... Try to find a nice GIA or HRD graded stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results