shape
carat
color
clarity

Big impact ring for $1000?

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am happy to say that I am looking for a ring for the love of my life! The good news / bad news is that she has no specific ring dreams in mind, and I've got carte blanche for the hunt. I know she would like a silver metal, and I know she doesn't want coloured stones. Haha does that narrow it down? Really she wants to be surprised with something beautiful and she knows we're on a tight budget. Is there any chance I could find her something for around $1000? I could go up to $2000, but I'm using Canadian funds and I know most sites are going to post US prices so keep in mind that the conversion isn't good for me right now.

Is there any hope that you selfless fairy godmothers would be able to point me in a direction? I don't even know where to start. I just want to find something beautiful and substantial-looking, without breaking the bank. Thanks.

Her ring size is 4.5.

- :geek:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be new, or is "pre-loved" an option? If it doesn't have to be new, consider checking diamondbistro, loupetroop, and jewelsbygrace.

BTW many rings can be successfully sized down, but some styles don't lend themselves to re-sizing well. If you you're looking at used and it's not clear whether a larger ring can be sized down successfully, ask here before committing yourself to that ring.

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1445830043|3942146 said:
Does it have to be new, or is "pre-loved" an option? If it doesn't have to be new, consider checking diamondbistro, loupetroop, and jewelsbygrace.

BTW many rings can be successfully sized down, but some styles don't lend themselves to re-sizing well. If you you're looking at used and it's not clear whether a larger ring can be sized down successfully, ask here before committing yourself to that ring.

Pre-owned and vintage are totally allowed. Thanks for the sizing tip.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my top 4 picks;

1) Down the page the .67 J VS1 Old cut - really beautifully cut old stone estate price $2170 CAD - haggle with them. I would buy this stone for myself and I am super fussy. Offer them $2000 CAD.
2) Also down the page .055 H SI1 Excellent cut modern cut stone in a simple 4 prong solitaire $1800.00 CAD in budget and setting described as like new condition O.K if you are after a modern stone.
3) The .48 old cut centre with the French cuts in the setting (French Cuts are expensive and quite rare) the setting alone would be worth quite a bit, something she will either like or not. The OEC isn't as nice to my eye as no.1 but the setting is beautiful and unique - $2000CAD Link to rings;

http://www.billleboeufjewellers.com/category/estate_pieces/rings-1000-to-3000/

Have a look what else they have they are in Canadian $$$$s and have a range of preloved items - for your budget the above are my top choices.

4) This pendant with the bail cut off and a shank put on to it (Grace has stated they can do this) will be a big blingy ring for the money. It's over your budget but if you sign up to the newsletter and hassle you will get a discount. Plus you can pay it off;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/gallery/pendants-necklaces/70ct-round-brilliant-leo-diamond-halo-pendant#.Vi2_4igVq5Q

The stone you have chosen is possibly not eyeclean....

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like some of those Diamonds by Lauren rings you might try giving them a call - they might have rings in inventory that aren't on their website, or they might be able to help in some other way. The owner, David, posts here regularly as rockdiamond, and he's helped other shoppers on a tight budget. IDJ jewelers, a PS sponsor, has also helped people build nice rings on with limited funds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! Nice to see options for any budget

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
Wow this is amazing! After looking at the mall, I was really doubting my ability to get anything even remotely impressive for around $1000-2000. I am deeply humbled by the time and effort you have all taken to show me such beautiful options! I'm going to have to call in reinforcements, and show a few to her best friend. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. But really really grateful. Thanks for the help, keep 'em coming, I don't see her friend until next week (very hush hush) and I'm getting excited :D . Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
futurefiance|1445883091|3942282 said:
Wow this is amazing! After looking at the mall, I was really doubting my ability to get anything even remotely impressive for around $1000-2000. I am deeply humbled by the time and effort you have all taken to show me such beautiful options! I'm going to have to call in reinforcements, and show a few to her best friend. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed. But really really grateful. Thanks for the help, keep 'em coming, I don't see her friend until next week (very hush hush) and I'm getting excited :D . Thanks!

Does she have a pinterest?

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445885636|3942289 said:
futurefiance|1445883091|3942282 said:

Does she have a pinterest?

Not that I know of but I will ask her friend.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this might look small on screen, but I think with a size 4.5 finger (listing says it's sizeable, it's already a size 5), it might be really proportionate, and it's a complete matching antique set for around $1,000: https://www.etsy.com/listing/241863658/vintage-diamond-wedding-set-mid-20th

If the best friend gives you other ideas/directions, please come back and let us know and we'll try to help!

LesleyF

Rough_Rock
I love the ring posted above by Niel.
Beautiful and great price!
As its duty free you won't get charged for that however you will be charged sales tax for the applicable province it is being delivered to.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
Wow, so many great options! I'll post a short list after I see her friend.

futurefiance

Rough_Rock
I'm feeling a bit confused. My girlfriend's friend sent me a pic of her secret pinterest board - great idea to the poster who suggested she might have one.

Do you think I should wait longer and up my budget? I feel like all the rings on the pinterest look really big. Or maybe if I get a similar style it would be ok. What do you think?

I tried to notice what is in common about the photos she picked. Not a lot of engraving, and no yellow gold. Does anything else stand out to you?

pics.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most pins of diamonds are of big diamonds. Rarely do people dream realistically lol. I pin 11 ct blue diamonds :lol:

Let me mull over these pins, see what we can do for you.

The first thing I noticed is she has solitaire settings, and that very modern one in there makes me think the blue Nile one might work well

She also has lots of antique rings too. Hmm. I have a few ideas.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She seems to like link diamonds, think she'd like a gemstone that's pinks?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There was one more thing that I noticed on her Pinterest board: opals.

Before I post the links, I have to make a disclaimer: please bear in mind that Opals are very soft stones. If diamonds can be just worn, opals will have to be babied big time. Nowhere close to practical for an engagement ring, but beautiful.

So here come two babies tha I found for you:
1 first a look-alike of one of her posted pictures in vintage platinum setting
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248716359/art-deco-platinum-solitaire-ring-faceted?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=platinum%20opal%20ring&ref=sr_gallery_16

2 another beautiful ring, also in platinum, but possibly modern
etsy 2

Not sure if it helps, but I wanted to throw it in, as both rings look Big Time to me

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know dizzie already did state this but I really don't think buyi g an opal ring is a good idea.

Q

Queenie60

Love this thread - all of you are so helpful! Hats off to all of you. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results