shape
carat
color
clarity

Big families turning into little ones as time goes on

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The trend as time goes on seems to be huge families turning into much smaller ones. As I touch base with all of the childhood friends and even my own bff and the few close girlfriends I can count on one hand we all have one thing in common. We all came from VERY large families. That is to say our grandmothers had many children, so we have many aunts and uncles, and cousins. But as we grew up, many family members passed away, and a lot of us went our separate ways. Long gone are the days where families live on the same block just a few houses away from one another sharing 2 flats [we literally did this most of our lives]. My grandmother had 6 children. My grandfather died young of a heart attack. My aunt [the first of her 6 children to pass away] died at the age of 32. Gram died not shortly after that.

I will spare you the details of the rest of this story-and just say that 40 years later [leading to present day] there are only 3 of my grandmothers children left. Covid got mom last year. I am the "procurer" of peoples jewelry in the family so to speak. And while I am not particularly emotional about much I am VERY sentimental. My entire family is from the Midwest. I have since married and moved out west. After moms memorial service I realized...I had an entire box of jewelry [4 generations] that no one would ever see. No one would ever know was here. No one would know who it belonged to, or where it came from. None of my mothers side of the family would ever even know it existed. I went through every piece and took it all out. My grandmothers wedding ring, my mothers wedding ring, my aunts thick heringbone necklace [you remember the ones that used to rip the hair out of everyon's neck! LOL!!], and several other pieces that were never going to be worn again. I went to my jeweler and asked him to create a bangle for my remaining 3 aunts. Devastated by their losses over the years, I wanted them to have something to look down upon every day and bring them joy. Most jewelers would have just scrapped the gold and ordered 3 bracelets with random stones and been done with it. But I know my goldsmith personally and knew he actually does the melting himself. What he created, was a piece of my families history. I face timed my aunts last night and told them it was coming in the mail for Christmas, so they could look down and see their mom, their sisters and brother with them always. This contains my grandmothers gold, my moms gold, my gold, and my aunts gold. I call it the "[family last name]" bangle. Thanks for reading..just wanted to share.

IMG_9526 (1).jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely idea, @blingmeupscotty! I have the wedding band of one of my grandmothers, and it's so tiny I have no idea what to do with it. Don't want to sell family history, but can't wear it, and wouldn't wear it on a chain, so it sits in a drawer.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The trend as time goes on seems to be huge families turning into much smaller ones. As I touch base with all of the childhood friends and even my own bff and the few close girlfriends I can count on one hand we all have one thing in common. We all came from VERY large families. That is to say our grandmothers had many children, so we have many aunts and uncles, and cousins. But as we grew up, many family members passed away, and a lot of us went our separate ways. Long gone are the days where families live on the same block just a few houses away from one another sharing 2 flats [we literally did this most of our lives]. My grandmother had 6 children. My grandfather died young of a heart attack. My aunt [the first of her 6 children to pass away] died at the age of 32. Gram died not shortly after that.

I will spare you the details of the rest of this story-and just say that 40 years later [leading to present day] there are only 3 of my grandmothers children left. Covid got mom last year. I am the "procurer" of peoples jewelry in the family so to speak. And while I am not particularly emotional about much I am VERY sentimental. My entire family is from the Midwest. I have since married and moved out west. After moms memorial service I realized...I had an entire box of jewelry [4 generations] that no one would ever see. No one would ever know was here. No one would know who it belonged to, or where it came from. None of my mothers side of the family would ever even know it existed. I went through every piece and took it all out. My grandmothers wedding ring, my mothers wedding ring, my aunts thick heringbone necklace [you remember the ones that used to rip the hair out of everyon's neck! LOL!!], and several other pieces that were never going to be worn again. I went to my jeweler and asked him to create a bangle for my remaining 3 aunts. Devastated by their losses over the years, I wanted them to have something to look down upon every day and bring them joy. Most jewelers would have just scrapped the gold and ordered 3 bracelets with random stones and been done with it. But I know my goldsmith personally and knew he actually does the melting himself. What he created, was a piece of my families history. I face timed my aunts last night and told them it was coming in the mail for Christmas, so they could look down and see their mom, their sisters and brother with them always. This contains my grandmothers gold, my moms gold, my gold, and my aunts gold. I call it the "[family last name]" bangle. Thanks for reading..just wanted to share.

IMG_9526 (1).jpg

Wow what a beautiful heart touching story @blingmeupscotty

I’m so sorry for all the loss in your family, time does as it always has - relentlessly marches on.

How were your aunts’ reactions?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow what a beautiful heart touching story @blingmeupscotty

I’m so sorry for all the loss in your family, time does as it always has - relentlessly marches on.

How were your aunts’ reactions?

Thank you..they whaled. In their minds, all of those pieces were "gone". They had no idea who had them or if they were sold.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely idea, @blingmeupscotty! I have the wedding band of one of my grandmothers, and it's so tiny I have no idea what to do with it. Don't want to sell family history, but can't wear it, and wouldn't wear it on a chain, so it sits in a drawer.

they had such tiny fingers didnt they

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They DID! all of them..sizes 5 and 6.. meanwhile im sporting 7's and 8's. Their shoe sizes were all that small as well lol.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely idea, I prefer to have an item remade into to something that will be worn and enjoyed rather than sitting in a box and I don't think remaking loses the sentimental aspect because the new bangles are formed from the gold from the original pieces. I hope they bring your relatives much happiness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a thoughtful and beautiful idea come to fruition. Congratulations @blingmeupscotty on such a lovely creation.
Your aunts will treasure this always. ❤️

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade

IMG_9526 (1).jpg

So loving thoughtful and kind.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was such a touching and beautiful story..That was such a wonderful idea to make these beautiful bangles for your aunts to treasure now.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful & thoughtful idea. This brought a tear to my eye :kiss2:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beautiful & thoughtful idea. This brought a tear to my eye :kiss2:

aww thanks....

To further add to the sentimentality of it all:

My eldest nephew received a rope bracelet made of the gold of my moms wedding band-the second nephew received my baby pendant on a chain of his grandmothers, and my baby bracelet was cut into a section and turned into a ring for my niece.

And now that I've made all this room in my jewelry box.. I'm going to make sure my husband fills it back up!! LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results