shape
carat
color
clarity

BIG Enough For You?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I waste a lot of time browsing around on a bunch of gem and pearl websites, and I saw this on Jose's home page:

"We also received two huge 17+mm round white South Sea pearls - one is AAA and the other AA+ (graded on the accepted B to AAA scale, not the inflated A to AAAA scale that is!)." I said to myself :shock:

I emailed Jose, and he pointed me to this page:
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-pendant/17mm-south-sea-pearl-pendant-with-diamond-wpsd.htm

His email said it's actually still undrilled, so if you would like to make it into the world's biggest pearl ring, that can still be arranged. :lol: If anyone is looking for a GINORMOUS loose pearl, this is might be the one for you!

He has a ton of new stuff, most of it is in the "sale" section. I just saw this one this a.m.: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-necklace/south_sea_pelosi_pearl_necklace_mnmp.htm The photo looks like the pearls are small, but they are 10-11mm, so I can't figure out why the photo looks so wonky.

So, just an FYI post.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
where is whitehotblank and when will she see this thread? ::)

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is huge!! And beautiful. What would you do with it?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, it is big enough for me but the price tag is bigger than i'm willing to pay out at this time.......i'm beginning to think that 15mm south sea i saw a kalis in fremantle last month was perhaps a "bargain".

MoZo

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Gayletmom|1292630205|2799951 said:
Wow, that is huge!! And beautiful. What would you do with it?

Oh, no, it's not for me. It's just so rare, I wanted to point it out. Also, I remembered somebody wanted a jumbo pearl. I think Yssie is right, it was WHB.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1292631814|2799962 said:
yes, it is big enough for me but the price tag is bigger than i'm willing to pay out at this time.......i'm beginning to think that 15mm south sea i saw a kalis in fremantle last month was perhaps a "bargain".

MoZo

Did you ask Jose what he has? His home page is hinting at a huge recent delivery . . . :naughty:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, have never contacted Jose re anything or any pearl........that may have to change!

MoZo

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Ah ha! Yes, it was me looking for a single jumbo SS. In fact I think those pearls might be the ones Jose sent me photos of - unless he has 2 other 17.1 and 17.2mm SS pealrs just lying around. I'm still hemming and hawing on it. Part of me, if Im going to spend $2500+ on a single pearl, wants something spectacular - a unique overtone or something (I would sell my family for a pistachio overtoned SS). Another part of me just says "buy the damn pearl you idiot - the size IS the 'spectacular'".

I will now go and drool over his website...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
whitehotblank|1292835987|2801562 said:
Ah ha! Yes, it was me looking for a single jumbo SS. In fact I think those pearls might be the ones Jose sent me photos of - unless he has 2 other 17.1 and 17.2mm SS pealrs just lying around. I'm still hemming and hawing on it. Part of me, if Im going to spend $2500+ on a single pearl, wants something spectacular - a unique overtone or something (I would sell my family for a pistachio overtoned SS). Another part of me just says "buy the damn pearl you idiot - the size IS the 'spectacular'".

Is pistachio good? The goldens I got from Jose have a greenish glow (in RL, never showed in the pics). I noticed it when I wore them (for about 2 seconds and then they were whisked away) they seemed to give an overall green impression, but you couldn't actually put your finger on it. I assume this is a pistachio overtone, but I wasn't sure if this was a good thing on goldens or if it's only good on whites. His description didn't mention an overtone, so I think I will have to wait until Christmas to see if I imagined it.

You know, if I were considering that pendant, I would insist on a VS diamond in it, IMHO.

Oh, wait. can you imagine a PINK diamond in there? :love:

I thought pistachio was a tahitian pearl color? like the color of an actual green pistachio? I guess I don't remember ever seeing a SS with an overtone other than silver.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1292858120|2801700 said:
I thought pistachio was a tahitian pearl color? like the color of an actual green pistachio? I guess I don't remember ever seeing a SS with an overtone other than silver.

Got me (we need a shrug icon). That's why I'm asking, I have no idea.

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure of the technical naming of certain colours, but when I say 'pistachio' I mean 'with a green overtone or glow' - I'm pretty sure I've seen this in SS pearls - gold and white and in between. I'm also not sure if a pistachio overtone in SS pearls is generally considered desirable but I love it. Light pistachio Tahitians I also love - I would kill for a necklace of only those creamy green critters.

iLander - So far I think I want my pendant pearl completely unadorned. But then you mentioned pink diamonds (which I must say was outrageously unfair :D ) and...yeah. Oh well, that's not a battle I'll have to fight with myself at the moment because I just can't afford a pink diamond of the colour I prefer.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
If memory serves, the pearl books I've read said pink and silver overtone are desirable for white SS. Green and creamy overtones fetch less money. I think the term pistachio is used mainly for Tahitian pearls. That is a very pretty color. In my experience though, most pistachio pearls don't have as sharp luster as other overtones such as peacock, green, silver, etc.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
whitehotblank|1292835987|2801562 said:

When I met Jose in November for my first strand of white ss he brought the 17.2 white ss with him to show me. It was the biggest whitest pearl I had ever seen and it was TDF.

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh 4 Ranch Girl. Was it? Oh dear oh dear.

If memory serves, the pearl books I've read said pink and silver overtone are desirable for white SS. Green and creamy overtones fetch less money.

This is interesting. My least favourite overtone is pink - in SS and Tahitian (cherry, aubergine etc.) - which is doubly odd given that my favourite colour is pink. But I love green overtones, especially on very light pearls. I'm happy the green overtones SS fetch lower prices because that means more for me. :) I've also seen some golden SS that seemed very apricot and glowy - I LOVED them, but was not sure if they would be more or less $, given their colouring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results