shape
carat
color
clarity

Big bad pearls, would you wear them?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Several years ago, I purchased these large white pearls on ebay. I have no idea what they are. They were sold as "natural" and are large, have a 14k clasp...and that's all I remember.

They have plenty of chalky spots, I layer them when wear them. Any idea from fellow PS'ers what kind of pearl they are? Honestly, would you wear them? Sometimes I think they are what they are and it's just a little texture. Sometimes I wince.

Thanks in advance for your input.

20160112_083633_edited.jpg 20160112_085019.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're lovely and I would definitely wear them. In fact, my large white ringed, marked drops that I bought recently would match that strand perfectly.

I think yours are freshwater pearls with nice luster. Obviously, they are not round and they have a lot of rings and markings. My earrings are exactly the same, but like your strand, they have the benefits of being very large and displaying a nice luster.

Sometimes you can be a queen and wear perfect round non-marked Hanadama pearls. Other times, you just gotta be a size whore! :lol: Unless your budget permits both, which mine definitely does not.

My new pearl earrings are just like your strand, and because of the markings they only cost $35. I take them for what they are. Are they the best quality pearls? No, of course not. But they have fantastic presence and since they're pearls they look classy despite their lack of perfection, and I enjoy wearing large pearls for little money.

I think your strand looks lovely. A pearl aficionado would know they're not the best quality, but most people would just see a strand of pearls. And as I said, white pearls are always so classy in my opinion whatever the technical quality.

Wear and enjoy!

P.S. Here are my own shameful big bad pearls. I've been getting a surprising amount of pleasure from wearing pearls of lower quality than I usually would: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-large-pearl-drops.217833/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-large-pearl-drops.217833/[/URL]

Q

Queenie60

I think they are just lovely! The fact that they have imperfections gives them a whole lot of character. This is something I enjoy about pearls which is different from diamonds - the imperfections can give them a unique beauty. Enjoy them for what they are!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These look like FWPs one finds at fairs and discount stores. Nothing wrong with them as long as you enjoy wearing them. I think we all have inexpensive strands that were purchased for a certain look rather than best quality.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input.

Jambalaya, you were so kind in your reply. I looked up your earrings and think they would look perfect with my pearls. They look good on you. Heh, I hear you about size and quality...sometimes a woman just needs a big pearl. I am going to search out a nice string of large pearls from somewhere in the future. Until then, I will wear them with impunity.

Queenie60, thanks for your input. I prefer baroque pearls in general because of the unique character of each pearl.

babymonster. Hi, haven't been around for a while and miss your nail posts. Agree, I bet many people have some not so great starter strands stuffed in drawers.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others, these are cultured freshwater pearls. Over bleaching or mistreatment by the factory can cause the surface to become chalky. Sometime you buy the strand and it looks great. The damage can show up fairly fast after you buy them but it seems to get worse with time. I have a strand like that only off round, it bugs me and I don't wear it.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back in the dark ages, before the freshwater pearls had taken hold as they have now, I purchased an eighty inch strand of baroque salt water pearls and put them on sale in my store of $1,000 for the strand.

I showed them to one and all who were looking for long strands of pearls at a reasonable price. This would have been about 10970 when I originally bought them. Finally, in 1973, I gave up on selling them and gave them to my wife for our anniversary as she had been wanting them for some time. She would wear them wrapped at least once, and sometimes two or three times around her neck so that they looked like a multiple stand set of pearls. (They were a continuous strand, without a clasp.)

She wore them to a fund raiser and the following two or three weeks I was besieged with ladies wanting a strand like the ones that they had seen at the fund raiser. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAD PREVIOUSLY SEEN AND REJECTED AS UNWORTHY THIS FABULOUS STRAND OF PEARLS!

The Japanese had been working on the art of polluting the waters where the pearls were grown, and prices had raised dramatically during the three years that I had owned the strand and I could find NOTHING for less than $2,500 and most that were equal to what I had given my wife were more than $3,000. Naturally, none of the ladies who had rejected these at $1,000 were willing to buy them for $3,000. They had looked and disregarded, but once seen being worn, they loved them.

I suspect that when you are wearing yours, they are seen and admired, maybe even lusted after. Wear them and love them!

Wink

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They're freshwaters. Back when you purchased them, they were of reasonable quality for what was being produced then. Quality has increased almost exponentially in the last few years. Don't look down on them in any way though. Of their time, they are a great example. call them young vintage!
Even if you replace them with something new, wear them on the beach or in the pool and enjoy them. (they look as if they might need restringing though, so you might want to consider learning how with them. Possibly not worth paying to get them done professionally. And learning how with them would be a great tribute and make them even more special!)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I like to wear less expensive jewellery so that I don't have to worry about it!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink said:
Back in the dark ages, before the freshwater pearls had taken hold as they have now, I purchased an eighty inch strand of baroque salt water pearls and put them on sale in my store of $1,000 for the strand.

I showed them to one and all who were looking for long strands of pearls at a reasonable price. This would have been about 10970 when I originally bought them. Finally, in 1973, I gave up on selling them and gave them to my wife for our anniversary as she had been wanting them for some time. She would wear them wrapped at least once, and sometimes two or three times around her neck so that they looked like a multiple stand set of pearls. (They were a continuous strand, without a clasp.)

She wore them to a fund raiser and the following two or three weeks I was besieged with ladies wanting a strand like the ones that they had seen at the fund raiser. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAD PREVIOUSLY SEEN AND REJECTED AS UNWORTHY THIS FABULOUS STRAND OF PEARLS!

The Japanese had been working on the art of polluting the waters where the pearls were grown, and prices had raised dramatically during the three years that I had owned the strand and I could find NOTHING for less than $2,500 and most that were equal to what I had given my wife were more than $3,000. Naturally, none of the ladies who had rejected these at $1,000 were willing to buy them for $3,000. They had looked and disregarded, but once seen being worn, they loved them.

I suspect that when you are wearing yours, they are seen and admired, maybe even lusted after. Wear them and love them!

Wink

Great story! Lol

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1452630580|3974923 said:
I agree with the others, these are cultured freshwater pearls. Over bleaching or mistreatment by the factory can cause the surface to become chalky. Sometime you buy the strand and it looks great. The damage can show up fairly fast after you buy them but it seems to get worse with time. I have a strand like that only off round, it bugs me and I don't wear it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. That (bleach) would explains the chalky areas. I also see dark holes in a couple of them (not too pretty).

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1452631750|3974937 said:

Wink

HA, thanks for your input Wink. Those stories you tell are so entertaining. Your wife must have been perfect in those pearls. Some women are trendsetters. Love the story.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence|1452684865|3975312 said:
They're freshwaters. Back when you purchased them, they were of reasonable quality for what was being produced then. Quality has increased almost exponentially in the last few years. Don't look down on them in any way though. Of their time, they are a great example. call them young vintage!
Even if you replace them with something new, wear them on the beach or in the pool and enjoy them. (they look as if they might need restringing though, so you might want to consider learning how with them. Possibly not worth paying to get them done professionally. And learning how with them would be a great tribute and make them even more special!)

Thanks so much for the reply and information on the pearls. It makes sense now why they are on a 14k clasp. I wondered why someone would use a precious clasp on ...ahem... rather non-precious pearls. I picked them up on a gamble that someone took the time and care to knot them and use 14k, so they couldn't be too bad. Mystery solved!

Restringing pearls is my next project. Never tried but would love to learn how. I have purchased some supplies and have some on the way for a black freshwater peacock strand (another bargain basement purchase) in black silk #2 (tiny holes in the pearls) I'll give these big white freshwater pearls a do-over too. Will do a search for techniques/threads on restringing.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
moneymeister|1452777269|3975874 said:
Wink|1452631750|3974937 said:

Wink

HA, thanks for your input Wink. Those stories you tell are so entertaining. Your wife must have been perfect in those pearls. Some women are trendsetters. Love the story.

Thank you for your kind words. My wife and I have been together now for over 45 years. I would say she qualifies as perfect in many things, including patience.

Wink

P.S. I wish my kids still thought my stories entertaining

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
There is are several knotting video's at the "other forum" in the lowly beaders club . Google those three words, it shows up. It's against forum rules to post , sorry.
I either use a tricord knotter. (YOUTUBE video available for training online) Or I hand knot with no tools. I seem to have better consistent tight knots with the Tricord knotter. Beadalon also has an identical knotter available at Michaels or Hobby lobby. I have given silk up and have switched to Beaders Secret. The colors and great and the BS doesn't fray and stretch like silk.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrilled-with-new-restringing-products-from-pattye.192431/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrilled-with-new-restringing-products-from-pattye.192431/[/URL]

beadalon-knotting-tool-kn250.jpg

instructie-knottetool.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up making my chalky pearls into two bracelets. They are far enough away from my other pearls you don't notice their problems. Besides, bracelets get knocked around so why damage the good stuff.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1452779522|3975888 said:
There is are several knotting video's at the "other forum" in the lowly beaders club . Google those three words, it shows up. It's against forum rules to post , sorry.
I either use a tricord knotter. (YOUTUBE video available for training online) Or I hand knot with no tools. I seem to have better consistent tight knots with the Tricord knotter. Beadalon also has an identical knotter available at Michaels or Hobby lobby. I have given silk up and have switched to Beaders Secret. The colors and great and the BS doesn't fray and stretch like silk.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrilled-with-new-restringing-products-from-pattye.192431/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrilled-with-new-restringing-products-from-pattye.192431/[/URL]

Wow, thanks for the information and the point to the other place. Very excited to get started. We just had a Hobby Lobby open in our modest sized town a couple of months ago. I'll give the Beader's Secret a try. Will also help to take my pearls in to check size of thread. So used to shopping for everything on Amazon due to a lack of local options.

See you in the "other place".

:wavey:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye also sells the best big eye needles I've found and they last for many stringings. The eye is the size of the needle. She also sells gimp/bullion in many colors of metal on her esty site. You need that at the clasp to keep the silk from breaking.

_36001.jpg

_36002.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have a strand like that but mine are peach. I might have them shortened or made into bracelets, if my cat ever gives them back. I think huge, chunky baroque pearls look great with casual clothes.

frau_009.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
seaurchin|1452899254|3976558 said:
I have a strand like that but mine are peach. I might have them shortened or made into bracelets, if my cat ever gives them back. I think huge, chunky baroque pearls look great with casual clothes.

frau_009.jpg

Absolutely, hands down that is the BEST pearl model I have ever seen :appl:

Thanks for posting, I think the pink set is pretty and oh so perfect with the ginger patch on the kitty. I usually wear mine with other clothes that are casual too.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

frau_009.jpg

OH well done! Adorable!!

cheers--Sharon

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Love the look in her eyes...as if to say, what, am I not supposed to be wearing the pearls?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was she clipped? She looks like she's ordinarily quite fluffy based on her tail. She's adorable! (and the pearls are fun too!)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

frau_009.jpg

Pearls and a fur coat...classic !

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Cuuuuuute! :love:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

frau_009.jpg

OMG She looks amazing! Wish my cats would pose like that, they'd just end up eating them! :sick:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The above cat is an accurate portrayal of why my ginger colored fiance will have a rose gold wedding ring :)

Nacrelover, I bought the Beadalon knot tool and have been in beading heaven this week. Restrung some old FW rosebud pearls, but will string again, a couple of the pearls had too much space between them.

Darling daughter, a die-hard crafter came home and made-off with the tool for a couple of days. She re-strung broken pearl bracelets. She then took the craft supplies to her cousin who is struggling with some sad news right now. The beading was a good diversion and cousins spent an evening making necklaces.

Ordered gimp and supplies from Patteye.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I think wear and enjoy whenever you're in the mood. My no-so-fine strands call out to me every once in a while and I'll wear them until I get tired of them or get irritated by the imperfections and switch it up with something higher quality. Sure, it's nice to eat filet mignon every night, but most people are guilty of secretly enjoying McDonald's, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results