color
clarity

BIC vs TIC vs. FIC

kdn2684

Rough_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BIC, TIC, FIC are Garry's terms for the Holloway Cut Advisor - B(rilliant)IC is shallow crown, steeper complementary pavilion, TIC is in the middle, F(iery)IC is steep crown and complementary shallower pavilion. I believe BIC crown cutoff is <32.5 and FIC is >35.5.

Having owned all three types I can see the differences in performance btwn them in various types of lighting.

kdn2684

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1305753333|2925112 said:
BIC, TIC, FIC are Garry's terms for the Holloway Cut Advisor - B(rilliant)IC is shallow crown, steeper complementary pavilion, TIC is in the middle, F(iery)IC is steep crown and complementary shallower pavilion. I believe BIC crown cutoff is <32.5 and FIC is >35.5.

Having owned all three types I can see the differences in performance btwn them in various types of lighting.

Thanks Yssie. This is dumb of me and i just figured this out, but the HCA tells you if it's BIC, TIC, or FIC. I guess i never really paid attention to it sense i always saw HCA <2 that had TIC (rarely BIC and even more rare FIC) and never knew what it meant until today.

I bought a diamond (with your help) that has a crown of 33.1 (pav of 41.1) and was wondering where it falls. I was afraid it may have a lot of brilliance but sacrificed too much fire. My diamond is on the bottom end of TIC (closer to BIC) but im guessing thats ok now sense it still has an even balance of brilliance and fire.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just went back through your threads - your stone looks like a nice one!

I wouldn't say "sacrifice" though - might you notice that your stone shows less colour in some lights than one with a 36crown and shallower pavilion? And that the 36c is less bright blazing white in other types of lighting than yours? Yes, if you're looking specifically to find differences.. but on the scale where at the extremes you see objectively poorer performance in certain types of light yours is right in the middle area where one type isn't better than any other, just different. Perhaps yours is on the "tending toward white over colour" side of that area - again, neither better nor worse than another type and nowhere near "lack of visible/effective dispersion" territory..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically, I just had Brian Gavin re-cut and old diamond for me, and it turned out to be 33 crown angle, 41.1 pav. angle. Those numbers were a little out of the range I usually shop in, but you know what? The diamond is gorgeous! I am glad to know I can expand the parameters of great diamonds!

kdn2684

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help once again Yssie/DiamondSeeker. I guess i was over analyzing the numbers and was getting paranoid for nothing. I just wanted to double/triple check that i got a nice diamond that will amaze my gf when she sees it. With your help, there's no doubt in my mind that i got a really beautiful diamond at a great price. I can't wait to see in in person.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BICs have CA 32 and below, FICs have CA 36 and above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results