carat
color
clarity

Bibi ejected his tail feathers

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strangest thing ever.
He was sitting next to me, when a big loud Harley Davidson chopper [modified to be EXTRA LOUD] drove by and reved its engine LOUDLY!!! :o

Scared the shit out of the bird, and his tail feathers just fell right out of him.
I thought he had exploded.
He just squaked, jumped up and all these feathers fluttered to the floor.
There was no blood and he seemed in no pain at all.
Everything was normal except he had no tail feathers. :-o
All the other feathers are fine.

That was about 2 weeks ago, and the new ones are already coming in.
Before they started to grow in we almost renamed him Avacado because from the top that's what he looked like.

I called a vet and she said sometimes a fright does that.
It's a survival mechanism shared with some lizards which can literally get go of their tails (the actual flesh) when a predator grabs it.
The animal can escape death and grow a new tail.

The new feathers have a bit of green on the tips that the old ones did not have.

screen_shot_2016-07-01_at_10.png

feathers.png

Q

Queenie60

Wow - very interesting. I'm glad Bibi is okay - must have scared the sh*** out of him to loose his tail feathers. Poor Bibi :o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww sweet Bibi! I am sorry he had such a fright and big gentle hugs to sweet Bibi. I am glad his tail feathers are growing back and most importantly glad he is doing well. ((((HUGS)))).

I am worried about all the noise from the fireworks this holiday weekend and hope everyone's fur babies do well and manage to get through the noise unscathed. :!:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bibi's a cutie with or without tail feathers! I'm glad new ones are coming in though.

A pox on that Harley owner's house, and on others who seem to think it's OK to blast people out of their homes with their loud exhaust or mobile stereos! There's guy in my neighborhood (at least one, that is) who likes to leave his car stereo on when he pops into a nearby grocery store - and the bass on that thing rattles not just my windows, but my whole house! :angryfire: One of these days I'll pop over and try to describe for him how isolated my father is, being profoundly deaf...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwww poor bibi! That's so sad, but good that he wasn't in any pain. He's super cute regardless though :)

Last night some a**holes were setting off fireworks at 11:30pm on our street, dogs were hysterical. Hate people who are inconsiderate.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor Bibi! He is so cute though, short tail and all!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been waiting to hear more Bibi stories. I'm glad he's okay. Maybe when he's older he won't react so quickly. Natural instinct in animals is interesting to watch. As long as it's not hazardous of course. ;))

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a scare! I'm glad they are growing back & Bibi is ok!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh poor Bibi, I have been wondering how he is!! Kenny, how are The Girls doing with Brother Bibi????

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You hadn't mentioned Bibi for a while. I was wondering how he was doing. This is fascinating - no idea a severe fright could make this happen (although I knew about certain lizards). I'm glad Bibi is okay. He looks very cute with his short little tail feathers.

More Bibi stories please :appl: .

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Poor Bibi! That must have been a really frightening experience! Glad the feathers are growing back. :dance:

Kenny, your photography is beautiful as is your subject! :wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,

I'm sorry you and Bibi had such a scare; Bibi from the noise, and you due to concern for Bibi.

I was aware of lizards (newts?) having the ability to regrow tails, but wasn't aware of this defense mechanisms in birds. Mother Nature is amazing.

As others have said, Bibi is such a cutie and we need more Bibi stories and photos. Although, I hope that's it for the scary episodes for Bibi. May all his future adventures be fun, interesting and safe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results