shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD v Whiteflash diamond station necklace

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying a diamond station necklace 18k rose gold, 16", .50ctw, of which both BGD and Whiteflash make (and both with their signature melee). I'm just curious if anyone can tell me if there is any obvious difference between these 2 necklaces as there is a $580 difference, with Whiteflash being the more expensive of the two. As I'm in Australia that $580 usd equates to roughly $800 aud, which is a significant difference to what seems to be a very similar product. It looks like the Whiteflash necklace has the bezels in white gold, but other than that I just don't see a difference. Any thoughts as to what I might be missing would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-pendants/whiteflash-by-the-yard-diamond-necklace-1326.htm#size=
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/diamond-pendants/diamonds-inch-by-inch-5385

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure about the reason for the price difference but honestly, I would prefer the diamonds to be bezeled in white gold. I would call Whiteflash and ask them about the price difference.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Doesn’t BGD do sales too? Or is only loose stones? Wondering if it’s worth your while to wait for a sale for a bigger savings if that sweetens the deal?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn’t BGD do sales too? Or is only loose stones? Wondering if it’s worth your while to wait for a sale for a bigger savings if that sweetens the deal?

They definitely have sales on settings occasionally!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you asked BGD what it would cost to have the bezels in white, if you prefer that?

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses everyone I really appreciate it. =)2
@mayaINaU thanks for the thread link re: aca melee. I'll certainly look into that with Whiteflash.
@winnietucker thanks for the advice about BGD sales, good thinking!
@Lookinagain no I haven't been in touch with BGD to ask about wg bezel. To be honest I hadn't really given it much thought. I just know I want a subtle, everyday necklace with just the teeniest hint of sparkle. I figured that with either Whiteflash or BGD, their signature melee are of such a high quality that even with teeny tiny diamonds the sparkle will be noticeable.
Looks like I need to get in contact with both companies and do some more research!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, nothing says you have to have white bezels. If that isn't an issue for you then I'd save the $800.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask about the chain. Maybe one company's chain is wider/weightier?

Otherwise I'd definitely save the $500, that's a nontrivial differential.

Gold is also insane right now. Less insane than a couple of months ago but still. If you aren't picky about metal you could ask about 14k rather than the stock 18k, might be additional savings there.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
I can’t help but following along as I’m also in Australia and have been wanting a DBTY/station necklace.

FYI, when I clicked on your BGD link a flag came up that said $200 off your first order…..definitely a sweetener!

Best of luck and do let us know what you decide.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t help but following along as I’m also in Australia and have been wanting a DBTY/station necklace.

FYI, when I clicked on your BGD link a flag came up that said $200 off your first order…..definitely a sweetener!

Best of luck and do let us know what you decide.

Oh really? That absolutely is a sweetener, especially with the aud conversion, plus the 10% gst once it arrives in the country - every little bit helps!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Ask about the chain. Maybe one company's chain is wider/weightier?

Otherwise I'd definitely save the $500, that's a nontrivial differential.

Gold is also insane right now. Less insane than a couple of months ago but still. If you aren't picky about metal you could ask about 14k rather than the stock 18k, might be additional savings there.

Thanks for your advice yssie, you're absolutely right, a heavier chain would certainly impact the price. It's a bit tricky to compare online as BGD don't have a photo of someone wearing theirs for perspective (which is a pet hate of mine with internet shopping, I like to see things on a model to get a rough idea of size). I think my next step is to contact both vendors and ask some questions. Thanks for your suggestions! =)2

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
Oh really? That absolutely is a sweetener, especially with the aud conversion, plus the 10% gst once it arrives in the country - every little bit helps!

Yes, it certainly does help. I didn’t pay much attention to the discount flag, and when I hit your link again it didn’t appear a second time.

There will also be an entry fee on top of the 10% GST. I purchased a riviera necklace from the US last year and the entry fee was AUD$88.

GST is also payable on the shipping fee (if there is one), but the duty (5%) is waived if the relevant documents are provided by the vendor due to the AUSFTA.

There is also your credit card providers conversion fee (if that’s how you are paying) for purchases made outside of Australia.

Then all you need to do is pray to the exchange rate Gods for a favourable rate…..it’s not been so great lately but it is looking ok atm.

Apologies if you know all this, but if not it’s handy to know the costs associated with purchasing from another country.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it certainly does help. I didn’t pay much attention to the discount flag, and when I hit your link again it didn’t appear a second time.

There will also be an entry fee on top of the 10% GST. I purchased a riviera necklace from the US last year and the entry fee was AUD$88.

GST is also payable on the shipping fee (if there is one), but the duty (5%) is waived if the relevant documents are provided by the vendor due to the AUSFTA.

There is also your credit card providers conversion fee (if that’s how you are paying) for purchases made outside of Australia.

Then all you need to do is pray to the exchange rate Gods for a favourable rate…..it’s not been so great lately but it is looking ok atm.

Apologies if you know all this, but if not it’s handy to know the costs associated with purchasing from another country.

Thank you for all that info. I have bought from Whiteflash before but it was nearly 10 years ago, so it's good to have a refresher on all the import fees, of which there seem to be loads more than what I remember. As for the Aussie dollar......well that's just depressing really :cry:
I actually didn't see the BGD discount pop up at all, so I must have just clicked passed it, going straight to the menu. Hopefully it appears at checkout, if I decide to go with them. Thanks again =)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all that info. I have bought from Whiteflash before but it was nearly 10 years ago, so it's good to have a refresher on all the import fees, of which there seem to be loads more than what I remember. As for the Aussie dollar......well that's just depressing really :cry:
I actually didn't see the BGD discount pop up at all, so I must have just clicked passed it, going straight to the menu. Hopefully it appears at checkout, if I decide to go with them. Thanks again =)2

If you still don't see it at checkout, I'd try opening their website in an incognito window.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
No worries. GST was introduced in Australia on international purchases in 2017. AUSFTA agreement came into effect in 2005 so you wouldn’t have paid either when you purchased 10 years ago.

I haven’t been able to get the discount to pop up again despite trying a different device and going incognito as suggested by Kim N.

BGD does offer ‘email exclusive discount offers’ if you subscribe. Not sure what they would be but could be the elusive $200 off! :mrgreen2:

Cute kitty btw…..seal point Ragdoll?

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I just found it!!
Tap the blue ‘save $200’ flag on the lower left of the screen. 09110607-4E31-42D4-B04F-D439FF4F5A89.png

Woo hoo - nice work @seafarm !! Thanks for the great detective work! :appl:
And yes Dougall, aka Doogs, is a seal point ragdoll - a big, handsome, goofy boy!

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
It was driving me crazy. I was beginning to think I had imagined it!

Doogs is gorgeous. My niece has two Ragdolls, a seal point and a blue point……we have two Exotic Shorthair’s.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
It was driving me crazy. I was beginning to think I had imagined it!

Doogs is gorgeous. My niece has two Ragdolls, a seal point and a blue point……we have two Exotic Shorthair’s.

No way!! I have 2 exotic shorthairs as well!!! Both are sisters, just the most gorgeous cats - we just love them! =)2

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
No way!! I have 2 exotic shorthairs as well!!! Both are sisters, just the most gorgeous cats - we just love them! =)2

Now I’m just inserting myself but we have a blue point ragdoll and an oriental shorthair!

we’ve been contemplating an exotic shorthair in the future…have always been curious about temperament (I’m both banned from more jewelry and cats at the moment :lol:)

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Now I’m just inserting myself but we have a blue point ragdoll and an oriental shorthair!

we’ve been contemplating an exotic shorthair in the future…have always been curious about temperament (I’m both banned from more jewelry and cats at the moment :lol:)

The temperament of my exotic shorthairs is just beautiful. My girls are sisters and they are the gentlest, sweetest cats I've ever owned. My girls aren't real keen on sitting on my lap, but they're always right next to me, giving me gentle taps when they want a pat. I had wanted an exotic shorthair for the longest time and I'm so glad I got them, they really are just gorgeous, funny personalities. So when you're finally off your cat ban, I really think you should get one - I promise you, you won't regret it! =)2

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
That’s amazing!! They are the best cats. I have a girl and a boy Exotic, they’re about 14 months apart. Not related.

I wonder if there’s a Crazy Cat People thread so we could post pics of our kitties.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock

Not to thread jack, but you definitely need an Exotic.…or two! Just sneak them in (together with any unauthorised new bling) and when your hubby notices, tell him they’ve always lived here! :lol:

They are the sweetest cats, and quiet….they’re not big talkers like the orientals. They say Garfield (the cartoon cat) is an Exotic.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
WF will often give a "loyal customer discount" if you ask for it. And they give a "first time buyer discount" too.

It never hurts to ask any vendor for a discount, or to let them know you are shopping around and can they price match.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Not to thread jack, but you definitely need an Exotic.…or two! Just sneak them in (together with any unauthorised new bling) and when your hubby notices, tell him they’ve always lived here! :lol:

They are the sweetest cats, and quiet….they’re not big talkers like the orientals. They say Garfield (the cartoon cat) is an Exotic.

Aww they sound lovely. Similar to ragdolls!?

Yes, my Oriental has a lot to say and prefers to tell me about all the ways that I could be lavishing her with more attention :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Aww they sound lovely. Similar to ragdolls!?

Yes, my Oriental has a lot to say and prefers to tell me about all the ways that I could be lavishing her with more attention :lol:

Also apologies I’ve thoroughly threadjacked and will politely bow out!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
WF will often give a "loyal customer discount" if you ask for it. And they give a "first time buyer discount" too.

It never hurts to ask any vendor for a discount, or to let them know you are shopping around and can they price match.

Thank you for the suggestion. That is something I am terrible at, asking for discounts :roll2: I have purchased from Whiteflash before, and they are just such a lovely group of people to work with, I would like to stay loyal to them if possible. I'll see how it all pans out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results