shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD recut stats and pics are in!!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have the diamond yet bc it's going to AGS next week for certification (3-4 more wks including travel time).

Good news:
Was 2.23ct, is now 2.08ct - stayed over the 2ct mark! Yay!!
Was 8.08mm diameter, is now 8.04mm diameter. Yay!!
HCA score was yucky high at 6+, is now a 1.5. Yay!!

Bad news:
Brian Gavin's folks didn't actually say it but it appears it will not qualify as an H&A because one arrow's point isn't pointy. I haven't talked to Brian yet to ask why.

I'll have to post the before and afters a few at a time.

Arrows before

Arrows after

Hearts before

Hearts after

_31841.jpg

_31842.jpg

_31843.jpg

_31844.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
ASET before

ASET after

Idealscope before

Idealscope after

_31845.jpg

_31846.jpg

_31847.jpg

_31848.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Sarin before - yuck

Sarin after

_31849.jpg

_31850.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Image before

Image after

_31851.jpg

_31852.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the heart pictures are reversed, because otherwise the recut made them worse?

That's pretty cool though. Nice to stay above the 2ct as well!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
What a transformation! Can't wait to hear your thoughts when u see your "new" shiny. Wouldn't worry to much about hearts image, they cut it to make your stone a better cut and livelier performance, not improve your hearts image.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd bet the reason its not a true h&a is because to due so would have taken it below the 2ct mark and thus, even being h&a, reduced the value of the stone.

He's a smarty like that. All the decisions have reasons.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what an improvement, it looks spectacular!

Can't wait to see it set :)).

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all - thank you for the nice comments and observations.

I totally agree about the hearts looking better in the "before" pic. It was the one meh comment I said to DH when we looked at it. I plan to send a Ques to BG about it on Monday but I'm not very concerned. They improved the diamond immensely, which was the goal. I knew it'd be very hard to make it a perfect H&A with what I had. Moving the HCA score from 6+ to a 1.5 makes me smile, so all's well!

Now I'd just like AGS to keep the color as G or H, and I'm a happy camper! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - it is always so amazing to see these transformations! Can't believe that the diameter stayed so close to the original even though the stone lost weight - isn't that wonderful?

I'll be very anxious to see the finished stone - it looks fabulous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UrsTx|1435883557|3898197 said:

I totally agree about the hearts looking better in the "before" pic. It was the one meh comment I said to DH when we looked at it. I plan to send a Ques to BG about it on Monday but I'm not very concerned. They improved the diamond immensely, which was the goal. I knew it'd be very hard to make it a perfect H&A with what I had. Moving the HCA score from 6+ to a 1.5 makes me smile, so all's well!

Now I'd just like AGS to keep the color as G or H, and I'm a happy camper! :appl:

I really do think the "before" pic of the hearts is actually the after pic

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1435886363|3898221 said:

I wish I could say I posted them incorrectly but I went back to my 4/24/15 email from BGD and unfortunately the prettier Hearts pic is the Before.

I sent an email to BGD about the Hearts pic - maybe I'll hear something back tomorrow or Monday.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
UrsTx, I'm so happy for you! :dance: I've been looking forward to seeing the recut stone and it's amazing! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UrsTx|1435887536|3898230 said:
Niel|1435886363|3898221 said:

I wish I could say I posted them incorrectly but I went back to my 4/24/15 email from BGD and unfortunately the prettier Hearts pic is the Before.

I sent an email to BGD about the Hearts pic - maybe I'll hear something back tomorrow or Monday.

It looks like the correct order of hearts pictures to me - thicker Vs as expected w/ longer LGFs in the "before", and the axis of asymmetry in the "after" (the diamond is cut in opposites, vs. clockwise or anti-clockwise around the stone).

It looks like a completely different stone - congratulations!! BGD did a fantastic job as always ::)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
That's quite an improvement. Do you mind stating the costs involved?

I was considering buying an older used stone with ok cut and having it recut to something exceptional much like yours. It seems cheaper than buying a new ideal or near ideal cut stone of say 10-15% smaller size.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on a successful recut! The difference between the original and new Sarin reports are amazing. :appl:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all! I do feel like it's a vast improvement.

Solgen - the cost is $375 per carat of the original carat weight. I went with Brian Gavin because other PSers used him too and I liked their results. Expect to lose an avg of .25ct +/- and then it's an extra $200 if you want it certified by AGS or GIA afterward.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The recut looks fabulous. I will be anxious to see pictures of it when you get it back.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so interesting! I love seeing wonderful transformations like this, so thank you for posting all the photos.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
What did BGD say about the hearts image? Did they say it would be hearts and arrows before cutting?

What did they say about cut quality before they cut it, did they ask for approval on approximate cut or anything?

Thanks =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results