shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Black Dilemma

Snigdhendu

Rough_Rock
I purchased a BGD black 1.05 C diamond for my wife on our 25th anniversary and initially was very happy with the stone - had a strong brilliance and some sparkle in sunlight and kitchen lights.

1713929071924.png

Wanted to impress my wife and took her to Costco (as others have advised here) and the costco 1C diamonds had more fire compared to the BGD black and we are disappointed to say the least.

Am still in my review period, so seek advise on what we should do.

We are noobs as far as diamonds are concerned, but both of us prefer fire over brilliance and do like those dancing colors a lot

The ASET image looks perfect 1713928655233.png
but have not been able to see much with the IS that is already included - seems like there is a lot of light leakage - apologoes for the terrible photo with my iPhone

1713928869498.png

The GIA certificate details are as follow

GRADING RESULTS​

ShapeRound Brilliant
Measurements6.49 - 6.54 x 4.04 mm
Carat Weight1.05 carat
Color GradeG
Clarity GradeVVS1
Cut GradeExcellent

PROPORTIONS​

Depth62.0%
Table55%
Crown Angle34.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length55%
Lower Half75%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
CuletNone
The HCA score is 0.9

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring in the photo the Brian Gavin diamond? It looks like it could use a good cleaning in some Dawn dish soap and water. Diamonds have to be kept clean to perform their best. There is no reason why the Costco diamond would have better performance than the diamond you bought.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's bath time!
A baby toothbrush and some warm water/few drops of Dawn in a glass. You can even drop it in for 15 mins first if there's a lot of dirt/oil build up. Give a scrub and quick rinse. Dunk and repeat. Then rinse well and dry with a paper towel.
Do this every few days if you use any products while wearing your ring. It's not much different than having a mirror. Just tiny.
*some build up is more stubborn, buy a Sunshine polishing cloth(yellow) and give a good rub before you do your wash and brush up. Try not to do the metal polishing cloth addition more than say, once a month.

Also, It's a lighting trick in stores.
Precision cut diamonds do something called a 'blackout' in direct spot lighting and sometimes at particular angles in direct sun- it's because they're cut to perform optimally in all other light. We don't live with personal spot lighting.
More poorly cut and shallow diamonds always look great in spot lighting as that was what the lighting was designed to do, make a poorly cut diamond shine so you'll buy it. You'll never see those diamond do that anywhere else.

Trust me, a Brian Gavin isn't being outperformed, it's just showing you what they have to do to make other diamonds look precision for a short time...until you walk out the door.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My favorite cleaner is Simple Green degreaser (won't harm metal) and a bath with brush to keep diamonds doing what they should. I also make sure to hit the bottom/pavilion for best results. In addition, I LOVE my ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon for a good cleaning.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you have a local jeweler you can ask them to give it a good cleaning. They will usually do this for free. Then your wife should make sure to clean it regularly and not wear it while applying things like hand cream.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A tablespoon of household ammonia in a cup of boiling water and a few drops of dish soap, soak 5 mins then brush with baby tooth brush (wear gloves). That’s a deep cleaning!

Snigdhendu

Rough_Rock
Rest assured you have the best of the best!

Yes, that is exactly what I am also thinking, and I did clean the stone yesterday evening with regular soap and warm water and at home it was on fire (with 4 overhead LED in ceiling lights)

Today morning was cloudy, so not much action, but the stone does not become dark (remains white but not much brilliance)

Thank you everyone for the feedback

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased a BGD black 1.05 C diamond for my wife on our 25th anniversary and initially was very happy with the stone - had a strong brilliance and some sparkle in sunlight and kitchen lights.

1713929071924.png

Wanted to impress my wife and took her to Costco (as others have advised here) and the costco 1C diamonds had more fire compared to the BGD black and we are disappointed to say the least.

Am still in my review period, so seek advise on what we should do.

We are noobs as far as diamonds are concerned, but both of us prefer fire over brilliance and do like those dancing colors a lot

The ASET image looks perfect 1713928655233.png
but have not been able to see much with the IS that is already included - seems like there is a lot of light leakage - apologoes for the terrible photo with my iPhone

1713928869498.png

The GIA certificate details are as follow

GRADING RESULTS​

ShapeRound Brilliant
Measurements6.49 - 6.54 x 4.04 mm
Carat Weight1.05 carat
Color GradeG
Clarity GradeVVS1
Cut GradeExcellent

PROPORTIONS​

Depth62.0%
Table55%
Crown Angle34.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length55%
Lower Half75%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
CuletNone
The HCA score is 0.9

I’m not an expert. If you or your wife think this BGD Super Ideal diamond has less fire when directly compared with other diamonds, visually, it’s not the cut. It might be that the flourescence is making the diamond cloudy (in addition to the diamond not being cleaned lately).

Sometimes with strongly flourescent diamonds, or even in non fluorescent diamonds, in a certain UV light the diamond becomes oily/ hazy. I’m fairly certain BGD would have checked for this, but it’s worth mentioning. For the record. There are PS threads discussing this. Search and read.

I’m NOT sure if the official Grading of diamonds includes a note for this characteristic of oily or haziness. I’m assuming your VVS2 Diamond Grading did not mention haziness, and I’ve seen for example VS1 GIA Report on another post DID NOT report haziness in a diamond that was hazy in certain light.

So, I’m hoping your diamond does respond to cleaning, and in addition YES, take it once clean to compare side by side with other diamonds in all light, during your return period.

This is one of many PS discussion threads on the issue of hazy/oily diamonds which MIGHT NOT be your case at all, but it is worth mentioning.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert. If you or your wife think this BGD Super Ideal diamond has less fire when directly compared with other diamonds, visually, it’s not the cut. It might be that the flourescence is making the diamond cloudy (in addition to the diamond not being cleaned lately).

Sometimes with strongly flourescent diamonds, or even in non fluorescent diamonds, in a certain UV light the diamond becomes oily/ hazy. I’m fairly certain BGD would have checked for this, but it’s worth mentioning. For the record. There are PS threads discussing this. Search and read.

I’m NOT sure if the official Grading of diamonds includes a note for this characteristic of oily or haziness. I’m assuming your VVS2 Diamond Grading did not mention haziness, and I’ve seen for example VS1 GIA Report on another post DID NOT report haziness in a diamond that was hazy in certain light.

So, I’m hoping your diamond does respond to cleaning, and in addition YES, take it once clean to compare side by side with other diamonds in all light, during your return period.

This is one of many PS discussion threads on the issue of hazy/oily diamonds which MIGHT NOT be your case at all, but it is worth mentioning.

I don’t think the BGD Black Line includes diamonds with fluorescence. He has a Blue Line that does have fluorescent diamonds.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is exactly what I am also thinking, and I did clean the stone yesterday evening with regular soap and warm water and at home it was on fire (with 4 overhead LED in ceiling lights)

Today morning was cloudy, so not much action, but the stone does not become dark (remains white but not much brilliance)

Thank you everyone for the feedback

Diamonds and their facets are like mirrors. They reflect light from their environment and also colors that they are surrounded with in any given situation. If it is cloudy, you won’t see much fire. If you are in a beige room, it won’t look as white. You always have to take your lighting and color environment in mind when assessing a diamond’s performance. Diamonds are grease magnets as well so it is important to keep your diamond clean so that it performs well. Even washing your hands in Dawn and warm water will keep the grease and/or film to a minimum.

Snigdhendu

Rough_Rock
I don’t think the BGD Black Line includes diamonds with fluorescence. He has a Blue Line that does have fluorescent diamonds.

This is BGD Black and the GIA report says mild fluorescence
This is a VVS1 from GIA, with a few pinpoint defects and one feather at the edge of the diamond

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing a good scrubbing can't help. I clean my ring every morning before heading out for the day. It has become part of my routine. I really dislike seeing the diamond dirty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results