shape
carat
color
clarity

BGB - dead spots from certain angles.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
33EA4DE4-B943-402D-B661-C194C5653B8E.jpeg 079F3157-EDAF-4CF6-B29B-EFC597FA0598.jpeg I have noticed that my BGB diamond is not so pretty from certain angles (not something I have to look for, it’s my normal viewing angle when doing many daily activities). It bothers me, but are these dull spots/being able to basically see through it wit something even super ideals have? To be clear, I’m talking about how you can see through to the other side and the middle looks dark/there isn’t much light return.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Has she been cleaned recently?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
That might be the issue. You can get a jewelry cleaner or just use warm water + dawn dish soap + a soft toothbrush. I use Connoisseurs jewelry cleaner. There is a dip and a stick for easy cleaning. You can get both on Amazon for a few bucks!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I have tried to clean it myself - I mean I haven’t had it professionally cleaned. Though the prongs are too close to the stone for bristles to get under.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it daily with an ultrasonic cleaner.

I lean toward thinking it is dirty. You have to really clean diamonds with something like an ultrasonic cleaner. For me, dawn works IF I soak it in nearly boiling hot water (off flame) for a good 30 minutes. Then rinse in clean water for about five minutes...

Ultrasonic is faster

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it daily with an ultrasonic cleaner.

I lean toward thinking it is dirty. You have to really clean diamonds with something like an ultrasonic cleaner. For me, dawn works IF I soak it in nearly boiling hot water (off flame) for a good 30 minutes. Then rinse in clean water for about five minutes...

Ultrasonic is faster

I use Dawn, warm water, a tsp of windex, a soft jewelry brush, soak it for a few mins, scrub, soak, rinse with warm water, then wipe the diamonds with rubbing alcohol with q-tips. Then, dry & shine with my soft rag. Works every time, in between professional steam cleaning....

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the car
Ok. That's what I thought.
Many think inside a car is a great place to take a photo of a diamond. Depending on how you angle it, it can be an ideal spot. You got light coming in from 3 sides (windshield, driver side window, passenger side window). It appears very bright.
However, you have no light coming from the ceiling (unless you have a sunroof). It is often lined with a dark material. So, the dark spot in the first photo is probably the reflection of the ceiling or something dark inside the car.

So, yes, you will see some light leakage when you tilt a diamond that much. That's expected.
Also, just look around you and see what the diamond's crown is facing if it appears dull and dark. 9 out of 10, it is facing something dull and dark.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds really are like mirrors - they can only reflect back the environment they are in. There can be dark spots or the whole stone dark depending on the lighting, the angle of light and the color of the surrounding area.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well close - Brian Gavin Blue. I felt the Blue part was relevant as they are not necessarily super ideal - just ideal.
Most of the blues are super ideal H&A stones.. . ;))

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought my ultrasonic from Kogan for shipping to Australia if that’s what you’re after. I think it’s a viewing angle issue..?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one of the things I did not enjoy about my
MRB. I have not owned a super ideal so I assumed that this would not happen with a super ideal. I did not notice this kind of view with an OEC. I think the correct thing is that an OEC of course would leakage but leakage looks different in an OEC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results