carat
color
clarity

BFF is looking for a nice 1ct rose cut!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I love lurking and I love buying and I love trying to advise my friends when they're shopping for engagement rings :)

But who am I kidding? No one knows more than the collective mind of PS! So I come to you, yet again, for guidance on behalf of a friend. Here's the situation:

They've been dating for five years, and these young professionals are ready to get engaged! There's only one thing holding them back: The search for the perfect ring!

My friend, she is looking for something really unique: a rose cut engagement ring. Wish list:

-rose cut (modern or antique)
-eye clean
-1ct (or close to that)
-decent colour but it will be set in yellow gold
-number one priority is having a balanced and straight cut, nothing off-centre

Rose cuts can be a bit hard to find. I've recently recommended JbG and Old World Diamonds and Love Affair Diamonds. They have one jeweller in Montreal that has found a stone. I'll post the picture of the stone and the GIA certificate. They've quoted my friend $4k Canadian for the stone and a 14k plain setting. What do you think of this stone? Any advice for judging a rose cut?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I've advised my friend as much as I can - it's up to you guys now :)

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side note: she is asking the Montreal jeweller for more pics and a video.

Also, she loves the Catbird settings. I don't see a lot of rose cuts set with claws; so often it is with a bezel. Any reason for that? Is a rose cut at risk of chipping?

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has she ever seen a rose cut diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As romantic as they look online, she's fully aware that in a lot of lighting it'll look like this?

PicsArt_05-16-10.59.15.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Niel,

Yes, she has tried several on in person and loves that she can see through them. She particularly loves the hexagonal (?) faceting pattern. And loves looking through and seeing her skin through the stone. To each her own!

(But excellent example pic - thanks for asking and posting that!)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pearaffair -

Does it have to be a round, or is she open to the idea of an oval? Since it's a rose cut, it has no bowtie and she'd get more finger coverage.

I know for a fact that Amy at David Klass Jewelry has just picked up a parcel of rose cuts, so there might be something there that she likes. I believe they're ovals, tho, but worth checking.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rose cuts are appreciated in India. Try searching for Desi jewelers Montreal and you'll find rose cuts. Indian jeweler might work as well but you'll get some indigenous stores in there.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mrs-B! My friend is pretty partial to round cuts, but I'll mention DK to her :)

ChristineRose - thanks for the tip! I'll tell my friend, but they actually live in BC so I don't know why they were working with the Montreal jeweller. Something her bf had found.

Update: The Montreal jeweller wants 10k for the diamond I posted in the original post. WOW. Not gonna happen!!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: my friend has contact Grace at JbG and Marlow at Marlow's Diamond and Design. Hopefully they can find her some good options! She is also keeping an eye on Ruby Lane for a rose cut that she could take out of the setting and put into a custom setting.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
first things first- do not buy rose cuts by carat weight. If she wants a 7MM, that could be anywhere from a .80 to a 1.2. Depends on how puffy the crown is, age, so many things! I have a rose cut that was rescued from an antique ring that measured almost 8MM, and it turned out to be only .95 carats.

That said, if she is ok with buying an original antique and then having it reset, this true georgian from sincityfinds (an etsy seller who is also on Instagram) just got marked down to 2600. It looks really dirty because its in the original foil back, but according to the seller it should be eye clean.

https://sincityfinds.com/products/antique-rose-cut-diamond-in-enameled-gold-setting

I bought my rose cut from her as well =)

Good luck!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dollyanjuli! Thanks for the suggestion - my friend really loves that one and may buy it!!! I'm not familiar with the seller. You had a good experience it sounds like?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did! Since I took my stone out of the setting it was a bit pricy, as I had to pay for the reset on top of the ring price, but I loveeeee my ring now ( though I've only had it a few months and of COURSE now I have my eye on something else ugh this bling addiction) and Diana was easy to deal with. For the marked down price and for that MM size I think it's a very fair price for a TRUE antique piece. It leaves enough left over for her reset.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also want to add that I've worked with Sin City Finds on a large purchase and she was great. Very honest!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm certain she could get grace to set that into one of her fab gold bezels and get it all done at one shop

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did! Since I took my stone out of the setting it was a bit pricy, as I had to pay for the reset on top of the ring price, but I loveeeee my ring now ( though I've only had it a few months and of COURSE now I have my eye on something else ugh this bling addiction) and Diana was easy to deal with. For the marked down price and for that MM size I think it's a very fair price for a TRUE antique piece. It leaves enough left over for her reset.

Thanks for the info! She has been in touch with Diana and is super pleased with the customer service so far! Diana is on the hunt to see what she can come up with. The diamond you linked us to is great but Diana says it is not SUPER symmetrically round, and that is a big priority for my friend. But thanks for introducing us to that shop!

I also want to add that I've worked with Sin City Finds on a large purchase and she was great. Very honest!

Her reviews on etsy are GLOWING. Good to have a PSer agree :)

I'm certain she could get grace to set that into one of her fab gold bezels and get it all done at one shop

Gorgeous pear, Niel. My friend is considering this one: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-20ct-pear-shape-rose-cut-diamond-bezel-ring

And also looked pretty hard at this round: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-02ctw-rose-cut-diamond-bezel-ring-by-liseanne-frank

I saw this and thought of this thread....you could ask Adam if he'd be willing to reset the stone in any setting she wants and also get it done in one spot! http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/jewelry-detail.php?id=187&maxpage=0&sort=weight&jtype=n

Ooo thanks!!! I will show it to her!

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
i'd contact grace, she can find anything & she is picky! i had her 5ct rose pear for a couple days but sent it back. they are something else, and definitely not for everyone. owning a rare diamond feels pretty special, i hope you show us her final outcome.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0047.PNG IMG_0046.JPG Thanks all of your excellent suggestions, she has a vendor that has found her some good-looking options! I'm wondering, with rose cuts, how does crown height affect the look? You'll see that some have lower carat weight but still a decent mm spread. Obviously this means some of the other options have a bigger crown or something. How would you choose?

(And yes she will be receiving better photos soon.)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That LT listing is DIVINE. I remember seeing that diamond around - I love it.

A bit out of budget and a bit too oval, but very much at home in this thread :)

Also thanks for posting the hand pics, minimountains! I showed my friend and she loves that you can see through the stone.

I'll keep you guys posted as she decides which diamond to pick! Feel free to weigh in about crown height.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering, with rose cuts, how does crown height affect the look? You'll see that some have lower carat weight but still a decent mm spread. Obviously this means some of the other options have a bigger crown or something. How would you choose?

Depth matters in the same way as it does for brilliant cuts. Since exotic diamond cuts seem to be coming up all the time, I would not be surprised if you did find one that deep - likely a double rose cut. I'd say their look is close to precisely faceted briolettes & beads - startingly glittering void, of sorts.

Is it worth hunting for such a thing ? I am not even finding images of one over 40% depth to show you what I am talking about ...

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depth matters in the same way as it does for brilliant cuts. Since exotic diamond cuts seem to be coming up all the time, I would not be surprised if you did find one that deep - likely a double rose cut. I'd say their look is close to precisely faceted briolettes & beads - startingly glittering void, of sorts.

Is it worth hunting for such a thing ? I am not even finding images of one over 40% depth to show you what I am talking about ...

Interesting. I'm not 100% sure I understand, but it sounds intriguing!

Elle at the Gemstone Project recommended a higher crown for a better look. Here's two blog posts on this topic that might be helpful.
https://thegemstoneproject.com/2015/04/13/diamond-rose-cuts/
https://thegemstoneproject.com/2017/01/17/the-rose-cut/

These articles are great! I sent them to my friend a thank you!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to tell them rose cuts are like a window.
They let you see the finger/skin/hair below the diamond just like a piece of glass.

You can prevent this by putting metal there, but then you'll be staring built-up dirt that's nearly impossible to reach to clean well.

Still want one?
Go for it.
At least you now know what to expect.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results