shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel vs prong setting for OEC? Opinions please on these LOGR settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
I really need advice about how to set my OEC diamond. (estimated .54ct, F/G, about 5.1mm wide and 3.8 deep...estimated by my jeweler because we have not removed it from the setting yet). I found the style I want at Helzberg with a stone about the same size as mine, and I was pleased with the look. The two settings I am trying to decide on are both from LOGR. I''m going to try and attach pictures, but I''ve never done this before and I hope it works! Lousy photoshop I know
20.gif

I''ve never had a bezel set ring and I really like the look. Is it a good way to set an OEC? Would I need to remove the diamond from it''s setting first and get exact measurements before doing the special order from LOGR or are the estimates from my jeweler on size enough to use when this is made?

I also like the prong set....I just can''t make up my mind! I know this is a small diamond by pricescope standards, but it''s perfect for me. And the diamond is much prettier than the picture. It looks dark in the picture, but it''s really white and fiery in person and I am SOOOO happy with it
9.gif
Would really love to hear opinions

Bezel set LOGR.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the prong set
9.gif

Prong set LOGR.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
bezel, bezel, bezel, ra ra ra !!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

You will just have to confirm with your jeweller if the stone is round or no, as some of the older cuts were apparently often not..Also, make sure LOGR has your stones Exact measurements, as I believe you will not be able to make that ring work if its not..

but, anyway, BEZEL that BABY !

...lol, can you tell I like bezels at the moment...?

Gorgeous OEC btw, may I ask where you bought it?

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 1:11:37 AM
Author: arjunajane
bezel, bezel, bezel, ra ra ra !!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

You will just have to confirm with your jeweller if the stone is round or no, as some of the older cuts were apparently often not..Also, make sure LOGR has your stones Exact measurements, as I believe you will not be able to make that ring work if its not..

but, anyway, BEZEL that BABY !

...lol, can you tell I like bezels at the moment...?

Gorgeous OEC btw, may I ask where you bought it?
I really do love the bezel, REALLY love the bezel look. I know the diamond has to come out of it''s setting and be measured anyway so I am going to drop it off Monday I think. If it''s not totally round I would have to go with the prong setting instead, right? I love the prong too, but the bezel looks so clean. And they are very similar other than bezel vs prong.

I found it on Ebay. I''ve been watching them for awhile, had the ebay search thingy send new listings to my email every day. It looked so pretty in the picture, but it was scary making a diamond purchase on there! No regrets once it arrived though, it was flashing hello to me as soon as I opened the package LOL.

LOGR said he would make it to fit my stone for $50 labor and that includes making it in my size. The upgrade for the diamonds is $87. The ring I looked at at Helzberg was very very pretty and I think it probably had high fluro..it looked kind of violet in the bright lights, and I loved that effect...BUT it had a HUGE inclusion at about 5:30, under the microscope, like a bunch of bubbles and scrapes, not really visible to the naked eye, but that was probably because the cushion (which really looked a lot like my OEC) had 144 facets. But I fell in love with the look anyway and can''t wait to set this stone in a similar setting
9.gif
I thought their documentation was shoddy at Helzberg. The diamond was IGI certified and I got all that information, plus the gemex report number but they all come back invalid. And on the ring it said SI-2 and on the certificate it was I-1...go figure. Anyway, I think my OEC will make an even prettier ring than that one!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic find - pls don''t feel like you must, but do you mind to share the seller? I am always on the hunt for good ebay sellers of estate jewellery/diamonds - especially pretty OEC''s ! (but of course no need if you don''t want to , ok?).

I am not sure what you would have to do if its not round - I guess it would depend. Hopefully some experts can chime in for you.

It sounds like you made the right decision re: Helzberg - and you are making me jealous in anticipation of my soon-to-be OEC ring !

honey22

Ideal_Rock
The bezel is gorgeous! There seems to be a big lean towards bezels lately!! I was never a fan, but everytime I look at Neatfreak's yummy bezel, I think RHR!!!!
3.gif

ETA - NF, I hope you don't think I meant it didn't look fabulous as an ering, as it's truly TDF!! I am thinking RHR for me! Just wanted to clarify in case I offended.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 5:32:37 AM
Fantastic find - pls don''t feel like you must, but do you mind to share the seller? I am always on the hunt for good ebay sellers of estate jewellery/diamonds - especially pretty OEC''s ! (but of course no need if you don''t want to , ok?).

I am not sure what you would have to do if its not round - I guess it would depend. Hopefully some experts can chime in for you.

It sounds like you made the right decision re: Helzberg - and you are making me jealous in anticipation of my soon-to-be OEC ring !

Arjunajane,
When do you get your OEC? It looks luscious in the pictures!
18.gif

I don''t mind sharing the name of the seller, I just need to get home and find the auction info in my email. For some reason eBay says invalid auction when I click on it from my laptop (we are out of town this weekend). Maybe it''s been too long since I won it and the auction has been taken down.

It would be great if some people that have reset their OEC''s weigh in on this thread. Are they more fragile due to the thinner girdle? And is a bezel set more protective of a thinner girdle or does it risk damaging the diamond? The girdle on my OEC is currently covered by the setting so I am just assuming a thinner girdle, since I read that many OEC''s have that.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 5:51:39 AM
Author: honey22
The bezel is gorgeous! There seems to be a big lean towards bezels lately!! I was never a fan, but everytime I look at Neatfreak''s yummy bezel, I think RHR!!!!
3.gif

ETA - NF, I hope you don''t think I meant it didn''t look fabulous as an ering, as it''s truly TDF!! I am thinking RHR for me! Just wanted to clarify in case I offended.

No offense taken at all Honey. I''m glad you like it.
1.gif

And I have to say to the OP: BEZEL. It defines the stone in a halo so much better IMO.

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Oh, you MUST check out Coatimundi''s new James Meyer bezel ... It is fantastic.
26.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Flowerladytoo it''s beautiful, I can''t wait to see what you do with it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 2:09:16 PM
Author: flowerladytoo

Arjunajane,
18.gif

I don''t mind sharing the name of the seller, I just need to get home and find the auction info in my email. For some reason eBay says invalid auction when I click on it from my laptop (we are out of town this weekend). Maybe it''s been too long since I won it and the auction has been taken down.

It would be great if some people that have reset their OEC''s weigh in on this thread. Are they more fragile due to the thinner girdle? And is a bezel set more protective of a thinner girdle or does it risk damaging the diamond? The girdle on my OEC is currently covered by the setting so I am just assuming a thinner girdle, since I read that many OEC''s have that.

No problem !
I will probably not get mine for another couple weeks at least - I haven''t paid yet, plus shipping to Australia usually takes ~2 weeks..

To *try* to answer your questions - its kinda both. A bezel as I understand is more risky when setting the stones, as you need to work around it quite a bit more than prongs. But then when its done, it will be more protective of the girdle and stone in general.

Here is a quote from James Meyer''s website (pls note this is not my opinion, so pls don''t anyone take offence, and don''t get alarmed if you have prongs - this is just one man''s opinion!)..

Q. Why do I set stones in bezels rather than prongs?
A. Prongs are a rather recent invention which allows jewelry to be mass-produced and allows even an inexperienced jeweler to set stones. It
is not the best way…prongs are insecure, allowing for the potential loss of the stone, and prongs also expose the edge of the stone to possible damage in ordinary wear. Bezels are safer, more comfortable, and smooth. They are also more elegant in form, echoing the shape of the stone
as they protect it from loss and damage.

I''m sure you have already thought of this, but I would not trust LOGR to set it, ya?

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 8:13:54 PM
Date: 11/15/2008 2:09:16 PM

Arjunajane,

18.gif

No problem !

I will probably not get mine for another couple weeks at least - I haven''t paid yet, plus shipping to Australia usually takes ~2 weeks..

To *try* to answer your questions - its kinda both. A bezel as I understand is more risky when setting the stones, as you need to work around it quite a bit more than prongs. But then when its done, it will be more protective of the girdle and stone in general.

Here is a quote from James Meyer''s website (pls note this is not my opinion, so pls don''t anyone take offence, and don''t get alarmed if you have prongs - this is just one man''s opinion!)..

Q. Why do I set stones in bezels rather than prongs?

A. Prongs are a rather recent invention which allows jewelry to be mass-produced and allows even an inexperienced jeweler to set stones. It

is not the best way…prongs are insecure, allowing for the potential loss of the stone, and prongs also expose the edge of the stone to possible damage in ordinary wear. Bezels are safer, more comfortable, and smooth. They are also more elegant in form, echoing the shape of the stone

as they protect it from loss and damage.

I''m sure you have already thought of this, but I would not trust LOGR to set it, ya?

Oh no! I would never let it out of my hand like that. I have a trusted jeweler who will set it for me. We live in a more rural area, so he doesn''t have a huge selection, and always loves to see what I find on eBay and other sites. And he does great work, I''ve always been happy with his workmanship.

I am really leaning toward the bezel. The stone "looks" round, but the setting is very old fashioned and it is in a basket type setting I think, with gold all the way around the diamond and some soldered on indistinct prongs on top of it. Not really wild about the setting, which is obviously very old, and white gold with no rhodium plating. Interestingly, the white gold is not yellowish. It''s just way too small for me, probably a size 5 (and I wear a 7) and the shank is worn very thin. Plus I think it will really bring out the beauty of the diamond once its reset in a halo
9.gif
I am certainly looking forward to seeing your OEC when you receive it. The setting it''s in is beautiful too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel, bezel, BEZEL! Oh yeah! If the stone isn''t too off round, I like that the bezel highlights the unusual faceting of the OEC.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 7:46:15 PM
Author: MMT

Thank you MMT. I am so tickled with it! It''s my first real diamond purchase in years, and my first OEC ever, so I''m like a kid in a candy store. Even my hubby, who couldn''t understand my fascination with old diamonds was just floored when he first saw it. It sparkles like mad, and there are chunky flashes of fire that just shoot out of it. Hard to describe, and so far impossible to photograph, but I keep trying! That was the first thing I saw when I opened the package and the light hit the ring, flashes of color winking at me! I just love the look of these older diamonds. One day, when I find a rich uncle to leave me a fortune, I''m gonna get an antique cushion from EricaGrace. I go to their website often, just to drool over their gorgeous antique rings
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I''ve decided to go with the bezel setting if it''s at all possible. I keep going back to it, and even though the other one is pretty, and very similar, the bezel ring looks so clean and I think my diamond will really shine in it. Hopefully it''s pretty round and can be put in a bezel. I should know early this week, anyway
9.gif
My jeweler is great, and he will be honest with me if he thinks a bezel isn''t a good idea. The diamond certainly looks round in the setting, but we won''t know for sure until we see it away from all that metal. Keeping my fingers crossed
19.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Flowerlady, you have me intrigued with your description of your stone ! Are you able to post any more pics
31.gif
I just love pics of members'' loose diamonds..

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 4:10:30 AM
Flowerlady, you have me intrigued with your description of your stone !Are you able to post any more pics
31.gif

I''m trying. I have taken well over 100 pictures and NONE of them turn out, except the ones that are too far away to show detail. We have an excellent digital camera and I am too dense to get the hang of it, I guess. I''ve tried every setting, but the darn things blur and come out unfocused. It''s so frustrating, especially since I see all the lovely pictures people on this forum manage to take. The picture of the diamond I used to try the LOGR settings was a picture the seller sent to me. I"m not giving up though. I will keep trying until I get a good one
9.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 3:16:31 AM

Date: 11/15/2008 7:46:15 PM
Author: MMT

Thank you MMT. I am so tickled with it! It''s my first real diamond purchase in years, and my first OEC ever, so I''m like a kid in a candy store. Even my hubby, who couldn''t understand my fascination with old diamonds was just floored when he first saw it. It sparkles like mad, and there are chunky flashes of fire that just shoot out of it. Hard to describe, and so far impossible to photograph, but I keep trying! That was the first thing I saw when I opened the package and the light hit the ring, flashes of color winking at me! I just love the look of these older diamonds. One day, when I find a rich uncle to leave me a fortune, I''m gonna get an antique cushion from EricaGrace. I go to their website often, just to drool over their gorgeous antique rings
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I''ve decided to go with the bezel setting if it''s at all possible. I keep going back to it, and even though the other one is pretty, and very similar, the bezel ring looks so clean and I think my diamond will really shine in it. Hopefully it''s pretty round and can be put in a bezel. I should know early this week, anyway
9.gif
My jeweler is great, and he will be honest with me if he thinks a bezel isn''t a good idea. The diamond certainly looks round in the setting, but we won''t know for sure until we see it away from all that metal. Keeping my fingers crossed
19.gif
A bezel sounds gorgeous. I love the OEC''s also and would love to buy one from EricaGrace. I would love to get an OEC bezel pendant. I love the lower warmer ones also. I just upgraded so it will be awhile for me but I love to look. What a fun project for you. Please keep us updated.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 5:19:45 AM

Date: 11/16/2008 4:10:30 AM
Flowerlady, you have me intrigued with your description of your stone !Are you able to post any more pics
31.gif

I''m trying. I have taken well over 100 pictures and NONE of them turn out, except the ones that are too far away to show detail. We have an excellent digital camera and I am too dense to get the hang of it, I guess. I''ve tried every setting, but the darn things blur and come out unfocused. It''s so frustrating, especially since I see all the lovely pictures people on this forum manage to take. The picture of the diamond I used to try the LOGR settings was a picture the seller sent to me. I''m not giving up though. I will keep trying until I get a good one
9.gif
This is probably a silly question, but are using macro function? Try that, stay as still as possible (you and the ring
2.gif
), no flash and indirect lighting - if you have a new digi it should definately have macro (lil flower symbol).
Mine also has "super" (digital) macro, which means you can get even closer, and its just a sony digi..

good luck !

DLFB

Rough_Rock
hey,

i read on your other post that youre working with lan bo on ebay? how is he? I inquired for a custom ring from him and quoted me a price. fair enough, he charged me lots for it but im skeptical on the quality of his work and the material used (diamonds, metal).

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 2:49:22 PM
Author: DLFB
hey,

i read on your other post that youre working with lan bo on ebay? how is he? I inquired for a custom ring from him and quoted me a price. fair enough, he charged me lots for it but im skeptical on the quality of his work and the material used (diamonds, metal).

He''s been really easy to work with. My custom ring ships tomorrow. As soon as I have it (I have no idea how long it will take to arrive),I will post pictures and let you know how the quality is. His feedback is excellent, and he''s been very good working with me. I''m hopeful it''s going to be an awesome ring
9.gif
He charged me an additional $50 to customize the ring in white/rose gold, upgrade the diamonds to VVS and make it my size, and I thought that was very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results