shape
carat
color
clarity

bezel setting vs. 6 prongs settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, just read on diamondtalk.com regarding difference in bezel settings (enclose) vs. 6 prongs (or 4 or 3) settings. I have a 1.331 VS2 H color (cut is considered AGS 3A)round diamond set in bezel and I am wondering if I should reset it into a six prong setting? Any reply would be helpful. Thank you!

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
I believe that the bezel, as well as the 4 and 6 claw settings are all fine. It is really a matter of personal taste and you have to choose they type of setting that appeals to you. The bezel is the safest in terms of security and offers the most protection for the diamond. The bezel settings tend to 'show the diamond off' less due to the girdle being totally encircled by the bezel. The claw settings allow for more 'show' however it just takes one claw to snag and you can lose the diamond. With a 6-claw setting the claws are usually lighter and a 'circular effect' is created. Claw set diamonds tend to be easier to clean than certain bezel settings. Whatever type of setting you choose the important thing is that you have an 'all-risk' insurance coverage in case the diamond falls out of the setting. It all boils down to it being a matter of personal taste. You have to weigh all the pros and the cons and decide what's best for you. I hope I helped solve your dilemna.Martin Sheffield, President
U.S.A Certed Diamonds www.usacerteddiamonds.com

diamondmanbob

Rough_Rock
Hi Kathy;
Do not let someone else tell you how to set your diamond.
Bezel, 6-prong, 4-prong it doesn't matter.
If you like bezel setting, that is your choice. I like 4-prong, that is my choice. Do you like your ring? Did you choose bezel setting? All three of the settings are safe. The guys on diamondtalk get a little overbearing now and then. They do have some good information but the subject gets a little clouded sometimes.
If you like your ring, enjoy it. Bezel settings are just fine!
dimonbob

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It will depend on who is looking at it, but a white gold(or platinum) bezel may give the image of a larger diamond while a yellow gold bezel could make it look smaller. This really depends on the setting.------------------

Kathy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your comments. My diamond was actually set in bezel for a necklace and not for a ring. Just one more question, I have heard that bezel settings actually make the diamond looks bigger than 6 prongs or 4 prongs or even 4 prongs settings? (but then I heard the complete opposite) Is that true?

Diamond Lover

Rough_Rock
Is it true that if a diamond is set "too low" in a bezel setting that the brilliance of the stone can be diminished? That appears to be the case with a bezel set marquise diamond I have.Diamond Lover

bacon

Rough_Rock
Kathy-I know I'm a nitpicker. AGS uses number alone for their cut grades (ie, AGS0, AGS1 AGS2 etc. down to AGS10)The AGA cut class sytem use 1A, 1B, 2A etc. down to 4B.All these guys have been correct. Setting style is a personal pereference. Choose what you like.
Diamond Lover-If the diamond is set too low that would mean the walls of the bezel extend too far above the diamond and that may block some light from entering diamond. A good setter can likely adjust that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results