shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel setting suggestions?

mph

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I got engaged last April with a gorgeous 1.72 oec, and I hardly had it on my hand for a year before I took a hunk out of the pavilion and girdle :knockout: I sent it back to Singlestone for evaluation, and will likely start over with a new stone, as it will lose too much weight with the recut. I originally had the stone in a platinum BGD Grace setting, but now I'm concerned that with so much of the girdle exposed, I'll likely chip it again. So I'm on the hunt for a simple bezel setting with milgrain, under 2k. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I'd prefer something low maintenance, as I'm paranoid now about damaging my e ring again. Thanks in advance for any help :wavey:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about your original diamond...that stinks. There are only 2 bezels that I truly like (no offense to anyone else though ;)) )SS recently modified one of their settings to a bezel (came out beautifully). Here are a couple of pics:

SS0.JPG

SS1.JPG

SS2.JPG

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Also, Victor Canera does a lovely bezel, albeit $$$$ (at least with french cut sides tones).

vc bezel1.jpg

vc bezel2.jpg

vc bezel 3.jpg

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sparkly! I love the SS setting, but I'm looking for something a bit plainer maybe? I'm afraid if I'm capable of gouging a center stone, there's no telling what damage I'll do to a dainty pave setting. Ari suggested a plain bezel w/milgrain, but I know their settings can be $$$.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
MPH - are you in LA? Try SN Queens, same type of work - much more affordable. Less "dainty".

mph

Rough_Rock
Nope, I'm in NYC. But I'll check out their website, thanks for the suggestion :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at James Meyer? He doesn't accept outside stones anymore but does source OEC'S. Several PSers have his rings and they are amazing. Here is the link to his site: http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/engage_rings.htm

His son also custom designs rings featuring OEC'S bezels: http://www.calebmeyer.com/philadelphia-custom-engagement-rings.php?newlimitstart=5&collection=Diamond Rings&status=Available For Sale

Visit this thread for pic's of bezel rings:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/

The first ring pictured in the thread is a James Meyer. TDF!

I'm on the hunt for my 15 yr anniversary upgrade and am 99% sure I'm going to get a ring thru one of the Meyer men!

Hope this helps.

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks Alene- I had seen that BGD setting, but I prefer a more delicate band. My Grace setting is 2 mm, and I'd like to stay close to that.

Thanks to you also Woofmama. I love JM settings, and have admired many of them here on PS, but they're a bit too earthy for me. Plus Ari said he has a stone in stock similar to my original one. At any rate, I'll probably purchase at least the stone from him, as I've worked with him before and trust his eye.

Gypsy, I was hoping you would chime in! I love the Julia, but it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend on a setting. Although now that I look at their website again, I think the prices listed may be for the setting with pave, so I'll definitely send them an email and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks to all for your input, I truly appreciate every bit of it :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, if you can work with them for your budget, that would be perfect.

You can call BGD or whoever you like for custom CAD and ask them if they can do this design for you for whatever your budget is (2000?)

So I would do... this shank: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pear-halo-engagement-ring-diamond-cad-ring-proposal-photos.173913/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pear-halo-engagement-ring-diamond-cad-ring-proposal-photos.173913/[/URL]

But with wires in the gallery like this (but tell them to make them look more like petals, but allow for a flush fit band still)

file.jpg

But with the thin Bezel of the Julia with milgrain.

Tell them your metal choice. And then they will either say yes, or no. You can try Wink, he's building his custom portfolio and no longer has a BM store so his prices may be good.

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered Sally at Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy? She's making me a bezel setting with milgrain on the inside similar to Freefly's ring and she has been amazing to work with.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason some OEC's chip is because many have very thin girdles. Rather than buying a bezel, I would send my new OEC to someone like Brian Gavin and have him do a little rehab to the stone and get the girdle out of the very thin range, polish it a bit, etc. Then if the girdle is out of the danger zone, you can just use your current setting if the diamond will fit. Much less expensive. But any stone with a very thin girdle should be put in a bezel.

audball

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1334149959|3168331 said:
The reason some OEC's chip is because many have very thin girdles. Rather than buying a bezel, I would send my new OEC to someone like Brian Gavin and have him do a little rehab to the stone and get the girdle out of the very thin range, polish it a bit, etc. Then if the girdle is out of the danger zone, you can just use your current setting if the diamond will fit. Much less expensive. But any stone with a very thin girdle should be put in a bezel.
I just had this done with BGD for our new OEC and they were fabulous to work with!

audball

Ideal_Rock
ame|1334150149|3168335 said:
Gypsy|1334110112|3168105 said:
You would have to order this I think by the end of may though, I think they're going to stop making settings.
True.

I was also, like a PP, going to recommend James Meyer if you're open to allowing him to choose a a stone. He has sourced some very lovely OECs and his settings are beautiful.

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Gypsy. The shank from the link you posted is exactly what I want- really fluid and elegant. I thought with my budget, custom would be out the window, but I’ll send BGD an email just in case. I worked with Jamie last time, who was lovely.

Thanks Titan for your suggestion- I’ll check out her Etsy site. I can’t wait to see pics of your piece! I love inside only milgrain.

Hi Diamondseeker :wavey: The girdle on my old stone was just thin (not very thin)- Ari seemed surprised that I had managed to chip it in the way that I did, and said that it was a freak occurrence. This time around though, I don’t want to take any chances. I’m not jumping for joy at the thought of sinking more $ into this ring, but I know that if I don’t bezel it, I’ll worry too much about chipping it again, and most likely not wear it often. And this is my engagement ring, so I want to enjoy it.

Thanks Ame for the heads up- I had seen that on their website. If I do go with JbEG, I’ll certainly order before then.

Here's a pic Ari sent me of my poor broken stone- you can easily see the chip in the girdle, and that's not even the worst of it ;(

brokendiamond.jpg

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks Audball- I've seen pics of your new OEC, and it's lovely :love: I think I'm pretty set on working with Ari to source a stone. He's already got the ball rolling with Jewelers Mutual, and I trust that he will be able to find me something I love as much as I did my first stone.

Another question- how difficult will it be to sell my old Grace setting? I've worn it for less than a year, so it's in great shape, and I've thought about putting it up on DB.

audball

Ideal_Rock
mph|1334156920|3168416 said:
Thanks Audball- I've seen pics of your new OEC, and it's lovely :love: I think I'm pretty set on working with Ari to source a stone. He's already got the ball rolling with Jewelers Mutual, and I trust that he will be able to find me something I love as much as I did my first stone.
Aww, thank you! Goodluck! I've talked with SS by email before and they were great!

audball

Ideal_Rock
mph|1334156920|3168416 said:

Another question- how difficult will it be to sell my old Grace setting? I've worn it for less than a year, so it's in great shape, and I've thought about putting it up on DB.
Settings don't sell for nearly retail in the second hand market, but it's definitely worth a shot! The Grace is a popular setting choice around here. List it and see how it goes. If you are, let people know you are open to reasonable offers. Maybe ask BGD if they can help by being the in between for the sale so that they can clean/polish it before sending it to the new owner. I know Dreamer/Gypsy did this when she bought her Aurora band.

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks Audball, that's a great idea.I'll be contacting BGD for a setting quote, so I'll be sure to ask of they can act as a go-between.

mph

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stargurl- I hadn't considered JA, but that price would be hard to beat! I've emailed them to ask if the shank can be thinned.

Any thoughts on inside only vs full milgrain? I've loved the inside only ever since seeing Chrono's gorgeous setting, but that's the only example I've been able to dig up.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
You'd have to have a custom replica, because Cross only works with their own diamonds, but I like this:

churchill_detail.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mph|1334156666|3168411 said:
Thanks again Gypsy. The shank from the link you posted is exactly what I want- really fluid and elegant. I thought with my budget, custom would be out the window, but I’ll send BGD an email just in case. I worked with Jamie last time, who was lovely.
;(
What is your budget sweetie?

mph

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1334210398|3169077 said:
mph|1334156666|3168411 said:
;(
What is your budget sweetie?

I'm trying to keep it to 2k or under, as this would be the second setting we've purchased within a year. The quote I got back from BGD came in just under budget, and I'm still waiting to hear back from JbEG and ERD. Does ID jewelry do custom settings? From what I've read here they often seem to be a more economical choice, but I didn't see anything on their site about custom work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results