shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel setting for small round pad sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m a new dabbler into the world of colored stones, so I''d love a little input.

I recently acquired a small round padparadscha sapphire - about 5.2mm. As you can see in the attached collage, it has two smal linclusions near the girdle, though it is eyeclean in person.

Still, if I''m going to have it set, I realize that the one on the extreme edge may be able to be covered if I choose a bezel setting.

Being new to colored stones, I''m hoping for some advice. Would setting in a bezel setting affect the appearance of the color? Does it matter if pads are prong set or bezel set, especially in such a small size?

Padparadscha collage.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe a gorgeous James Meyer setting? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-james-caleb-meyer-ann-mckay-and-the-like.108008/ LOVE THE PAD
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone! The inclusions are cool too. A bezel may darken the stone a bit, but I think that stone would look fab in a bezel and in yellow gold. The stone looks nicely cut, so I don't think a bezel will be too much of an issue concerning the color.

gah--just took another look and I LOVE the color!

eta: just saw merc's post, and a half bezel is a great idea.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a helpful opinion except that your little pad is pretty, and a half bezel would hide the inclusions while leaving some of the stone free. But I''m partial to half bezels.

I think the bezeling thing is a case-by-case decision, some stones it helps, some it detracts.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, that''s a pretty stone. I''m afraid I can''t be of much help, other than to echo what has already been said.

Now you do know that you can''t just leave it at that don''t you? We have to know intimately every inch of your journey with this gorgeous little pad. Starting with, where did you get it? (If you feel comfortable telling us of course!).

You''re not limited to a full bezel or prongs either - there''s always a half bezel. Then of course there''s the thin bezel. Not sure the technical term for it, but I''m sure one of your colleagues at WF will be able to tell you if it''s do-able. Here''s a picture of what I mean. This ring is by Phillip Schmidt

More gems 039.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Love the color of that pad! I second the James Meyer idea. I would look great in one of his settings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 5:37:04 PM
Author:Allison D.
I'm a new dabbler into the world of colored stones, so I'd love a little input.

I recently acquired a small round padparadscha sapphire - about 5.2mm. As you can see in the attached collage, it has two smal linclusions near the girdle, though it is eyeclean in person.

Still, if I'm going to have it set, I realize that the one on the extreme edge may be able to be covered if I choose a bezel setting.

Being new to colored stones, I'm hoping for some advice. Would setting in a bezel setting affect the appearance of the color? Does it matter if pads are prong set or bezel set, especially in such a small size?
I think the bezel woudn't affect it, it has decent light return due to the expert faceting, and it's not a very dark stone. I also think the bezel, or even a diamond halo, would also make it look larger. I would also do rose gold. I'm sorry, I just love padparadscha's in rose gold. I think rose gold actually enhances the color. I think white gold tends to bring out any tiny bit of brown that might be hiding in a pink/orange stone.

Congratulations on your beautiful padparadscha!! Lovely

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your great ideas to date!

Funny, because I had thought about a half-bezel style.

Part of me initially thought to flank it with half-carat diamonds and make a 3-stone ring, but as many of you know, I already wear a 3-stone for my e-ring.

Gary Braun did such a beautiful job cutting this stone, I want something that''s going to complement his fine work.

TL, I had thought rose gold...and I may still. I''m not sure; I was concerned the rose gold may compete with the stone.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:49:12 PM
Author: coatimundi
Very pretty stone! The inclusions are cool too. A bezel may darken the stone a bit, but I think that stone would look fab in a bezel and in yellow gold. The stone looks nicely cut, so I don''t think a bezel will be too much of an issue concerning the color.
Ha, Coati.....the inclusions are cool now that I know they''re there, but you should have seen my reaction when I first starting snapping photos. I saw it and was all "WTF is THAT!!??" LOL. I was so swooning over the picture initially provided that I didn''t see in the small print "two very small spots near the girdle". All is saw was VS, and that was it.

I had HEART failure for the first 3 seconds, and then I thought "yeeeeeeeeeah, those are kinda neat."

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alj, love your pad, it is gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I am in favor of the half bezel idea. Only because if there is a full bezel, it will darken the stone.

All the pads I have are set where the light can reach the full pad and OMG you should see the colors.

On the other hand, You could ask James, if he could create a full bezel, but leave the sides open, where full light can get in. Does that make sense to you??? Sometimes I don''t explain myself well on setting a stone.

Linda

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
What about the endless love setting from whiteflash?
31.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I recognize this pad immediately because I drooled over it at Gary''s site!
39.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sorry I don''t have much to contribute on setting, but in general the bezel is a good idea since it is small in size and bezel may make it appear bigger. Have you considered having it as a pendant? I mean, it may be on the small side for a ring, but it will make an adorable bezel especially if you make it float.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmmmm - maybe I could do both and do a half-bezel pendant......
31.gif

I don''t know, though - I think it''s the perfect size for a pendant, but I think I want to do something where I can see it. I''m completely smitten with it.

I thought of perhaps putting it into the center of a filigree ring style, similar to the art-deco ones. That''s what made me about about the full bezel, but I don''t want the color to change.

I love the endless ring setting, and that actually crossed my mind, too. BUT.....I''ve tried that on with a .75 ct. diamond, and I think the visual impact of that setting would lose something by going with a smaller stone. Keep in mind, the pad faces up like a .50-ish diamond.

Part of me thought it would be cute to do a half-bezel solitaire bangle bracelet, but i just don''t know if I''d get as much wear.

Then, of course, my default was to sandwich it between two half-carat diamonds and go three stone anyway. The proportions would be very different from my e-ring since it would be 3 equally sized stones.

Bah. Too many choices.

It would be kind of fun to do an antique replica of a vertical filigree with single cut accents and the pad in the center.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean Alj, you want to sit and stare at the Pad all day long. Especially in different lighting. The colors that pop out of the stones are breath taking. Your ideas sound wonderful, it will be hard to choose.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d suggest yellow gold to help drive away any brown tones and help bring out the orange. As for setting, if you can get a half bezel and orientate the inclusion to be hidden, that''s be great. A half bezel is still protective while allowing a lot of light to help the stone "shine".

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
ring%20on%20fing%209pas.JPG

This setting from kboggs315 is really cool too

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Alj,

I don''t have any setting ideas except to ditto the idea of yellow gold for that beauty.

But I also wanted to say: I want it!
31.gif

(Kidding, kidding..hee hee.)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Love that pad - it''s beautiful Alj! I would put it in white gold - I definitely wouldn''t want RG to compete with that lovely color. I''m kind of on board with the suggestion of a half-bezel too - it''d provide a very simple elegant look to the entire ring.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:43:18 PM
Author: akmiss
ring%20on%20fing%209pas.JPG

This setting from kboggs315 is really cool too
I just can''t get enough of this!! Every time I see it I fall in love! I don''t even know what it is about it, I''m just mesmerized! Something like this gets my vote for sure! I think it would look stunning with your lovely pad as well!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Semi bezel would IMO do a better job at hiding inclusions than a full bezel, cause it can reach further. A split shank could also serve well for that (prongs covering the inclusions), assuming it''s done nicely. Lovely stone BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results