shape
carat
color
clarity

bezel setting a princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arin

Rough_Rock
First time at the forum! I have a question about bezel setting a princess cut stone (Ihave no stats on the stone...I don''t get to see that ''till the boyfriend gets the ring made). The jeweler that he is using said that she would not recomend that setting...I''m unclear as to her reason, I guess she had said something about structural integrity. I do have a picture of the STYLE of ring I want...I found the picture on tradeshop.com I wasn''t sure if the picture is copy writed so didn''t post it. Any opinions on the "integrity" of a bezel set princess cut stone would be appreciated!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I thought as long as acknowledge the source you were okay posting a pic.

arin

Rough_Rock
I guess the picture file is too small to post, it is only 111kb file....any clue how I can get this too work for posting to the message?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I only saw the bezel set emerald at tradeshop.com. But if you read the summary, they brag about how safe and secure the bezel setting is and that there is no other setting as safe for a diamond. Funny. I would tend to think the same, but what do I know. You should try to get a better reason from the jeweler. Yes, I believe you can post the pic as long as you acknowledge the source.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Similar to this one from tradeshop.com?

18ple460.jpg

arin

Rough_Rock
The style of the ring was celtic...with a trinity knot on each side of the bezel set princes cut stone. In the picture (I wish I could figure out how to post the picture
5.gif
) the stone used was a green stone(emerald?). I guess it is found on celticring.com and is called the "caldwell.mag" in the totaly custom section that gives examples of some of their past works...this picture isn't of the finished ring that shows the set stone...however it does show the band style
I had thought that it would be a very secure setting! I hope to get more info from the jeweler...probably next week sometime.
After reading other posts about the princess cut, maybe there is something about the particular diamond that would make it a poor choice? It seems that the princess cut can chip, or crack easily?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
You can copy the address of the page and paste it to your message and we can check out the address. I can never post pics on her either so I can't help in that department.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Download the pic from the site by right clicking on it and doing a 'save as'. Save it to your PC desktop or hard disk. Then in the posting window click on attach file before composing any text. I think the file must be less than 75k. Use an image viewing software to reduce the file size if necessary. Then compose a message and submit. You shouldn't have any problems.

arin

Rough_Rock
http://www.tradeshop.com/master/current.shtml

thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that. Near the middle of the page under the heading "The simulated custom celtic wedding set, with yer emerald and springtime???." And OOOPs!! It pictures an emerald cut stone...guess I just want to see it in the princess cut so badly it was how I picture it! It should look good either way!

arin

Rough_Rock
Thanks Homer...this is the style of ring I would like.

caldwell-simresize.jpg

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Call tradeshop and ask if they could/would do that setting with a princess. Go right to the source for your answer, then come back and tell us what they say.

arin

Rough_Rock
That would also give me an idea if the bf's jeweler just REALLY doesn't want to do it, or if it truely shouldn't be done? I'll hope to get an answer from the source! Thanks again.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I must say, I really like the shape of that ring. Hopefully Tradeshop can give you a good idea of its feasibility.

arin

Rough_Rock
I emailed tradeshop and the reply was quick! They said there is no reason why a princess cut shouldn't be bezel set. Great news too me! I also had the chance to talk to the jeweler that was trying to talk my bf out of the setting. It seems she was mainly worried that the setting would make the diamond look dull...and smaller. I guess since I don't know any of the stats on the diamond, like the size!! I don't know if I should be worried about how it will look in a bezel! The only things I know about the diamond are that it is a princess cut that is slightly rectangular, by a milimeter or something...and that it is radiant. They think it is fun to keep the diamond a secret!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Another jeweler who thinks diamonds are more spectacular if you let light in from the sides and bottom. What a load! A well cut diamond bezel set can be stunning. You mentioned that it is slightly rectangular and is radiant, are you taling about a radiant diamond or a princess? They are two different types of shapes and have slightly different visual characteristics.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, some jewelers can be so uninformed when it comes to light performance of a diamond. Light it reflected back out the *table* of the diamond, not the sides. So, bezel-setting isn't going to make a diamond dull. Only a badly cut diamond can make it dull.

arin

Rough_Rock
Still haven't managed to get any info on the diamond! I spent the weekend with my Mom who ALSO knew of the plans for the ring...being really bad at keeping secrets from me I was sure she would give in...but alas, NO!! Sorry I can't be more specific about my mystery rock!!

What would be the difference between a princess and a radiant? I'm starting to feel so frustrated not knowing WHAT the diamond is that I could throw a tantrum!! Can you tell I don't like surprises??

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A radiant is a combo brilliant and step-cut. To my eye, the facets of radiant always looks more random, while a princess has distinct and symmetrical angles. I found this that might give you a visual.
http://www.bigdiamond.com/pages/rad-what.asp

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
That's a good basic summary. My impression is that princess have a more crackled appearance with an x pattern in the center and radiants evolve out of a round center. I don't think a well cut radiant appears random, the facets are very symmetrical on a well cut stone, just larger than those on a princess. But probably the easiest way to separate the two is the cut corners and generally a readiant is cut rectangular but squares are common.

arin

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! That gave me a great visual and description of the difference. I sent that link on to the jeweler....kinda let's her know that I have been doing some home work (with your help, and thank you again!) Hopefully she will respond and I'll have a clue to the mystery...I'll let you know when I do!!

Thanks to you also Homer, your description of the x pattern for the princess and the difference in the corners will be pretty easy to remember!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results