Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

bezel or prongs for EC? please help!!!

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156
Hi ladies,

I really need your opinion, pics, informations to help me choose the best setting!
I've a basic question: A bezel setting makes the EC smaller or not, contrary to prongs setting? This is for a 1.2 ct EC
I'm totaly lost...everyone have a different opinion, so pics can help me...?

P.S: I'm always sorry for my poor english!!!
 

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,500
I think you should choose whichever look you like better - they are very different. The bezel will add a fraction of a mm to the diamond's size.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
This is totally personal preference. For inspiration check out the step cut thread so you can see what both lOok like.
 

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156
Amys Bling|1316000010|3017199 said:
This is totally personal preference. For inspiration check out the step cut thread so you can see what both lOok like.
Have you a link please... ::)
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,517
A bezel setting can give the illusion of making the diamond look bigger but I personally prefer prong setting to allow light in from all angles to maximize the light return to take full advantage of the big flashes of light back to the viewer's eye.
 

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
686
I love a bezeled EC. To me, prongs distract from the cut, especially in stones lighter than 2 cts. One of my professors has a beautiful emerald cut set in a milgrained bezel on an engraved shank. It is one of the most gorgeous rings I have seen, somehow vintage and modern at the same time. If you don't prefer a modern look for a bezel, go for milgrained.
 

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
1,947
If you go with a bezel make sure you choose a very skilled bench. Too often the bezel softens the sharp corners on an EC and you loose such an iconic part of the cut.
 

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156
thanks ladies for your precious advices!!!! ::) And the bezel setting affects EC brillance?
 

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156
mscushion|1316025249|3017536 said:
ludmila.k|1316000338|3017201 said:
Amys Bling|1316000010|3017199 said:
This is totally personal preference. For inspiration check out the step cut thread so you can see what both lOok like.
Have you a link please... ::)
Here you go. Where are you from?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/
Thanks for the link 8) And I come from France (I live in the south of France)
::)
 

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
3,309
ludmila.k|1316025780|3017542 said:
Thanks for the link 8) And I come from France (I live in the south of France)
::)
Lucky you, what a beautiful place.
Your English is very good!
 

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
2,649
I have a bezel (with milgrain) set square emerald (aka asscher), that was done by BGD and I love it! I am a big fan of bezel set step cuts to enhance their shape as I think prongs take away fro that.

You can see my ring here if you're interested: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/new-glamour-shots-of-my-asscher-reset-wow-it-s-amazing-t156002.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/new-glamour-shots-of-my-asscher-reset-wow-it-s-amazing-t156002.html[/URL]

I was also worried about losing size with the bezel, but it actually makes it looks LARGER than when it was prong set! And because the bezel is open on all sides, it still reflects light from all angles.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,114
I think you should pick the style you like the best. Either would look great.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
mscushion|1316025249|3017536 said:
ludmila.k|1316000338|3017201 said:
Amys Bling|1316000010|3017199 said:
This is totally personal preference. For inspiration check out the step cut thread so you can see what both lOok like.
Have you a link please... ::)
Here you go. Where are you from?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/

Thanks for linking for me. I dont know how to do that on my IPhone.
 

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
156
ludmila.k|1316022279|3017495 said:
thanks ladies for your precious advices!!!! ::) And the bezel setting affects EC brillance?
And I forget to specify this is a K color...so for having a whiter brillance, I must choose a yellow or a white setting??? 8)
thanks ;))
 

Sparklee

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
53
I have an 1.26ct F VVS2 Emerald cut in a bezel with half carat trapezoids. Personally, I love the look of a step cut in a bezel, I think they compliment each other.......



And this is how it used to be set prior to my 20th Anniversary remount.

emtrap1.jpg

ecbez1.jpg
 

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
21,747
davi_el_mejor|1316021286|3017475 said:
If you go with a bezel make sure you choose a very skilled bench. Too often the bezel softens the sharp corners on an EC and you loose such an iconic part of the cut.
Yep-great advice, d. A well-made bezel will emphasize the octagonal shape. I love an emerald cut in a clean bezel.

Some prong settings may obscure the corners as well--something to thing about. I'm partial to double claws on a step cut, which add balance to the corners, though well-made single prongs will bring out the shape as well. It all depends on the bench.

You can achieve a little extra oomph from a bezel if that is what you want-depends on the size of the bezel.

Here's a recent thread with pics of bezeled step cuts.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-a-bezel-anyone-have-one-can-link-one.162187/
 

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
21,747
ludmila.k|1316109428|3018292 said:
ludmila.k|1316022279|3017495 said:
thanks ladies for your precious advices!!!! ::) And the bezel setting affects EC brillance?
And I forget to specify this is a K color...so for having a whiter brillance, I must choose a yellow or a white setting??? 8)
thanks ;))
Do you primarily wear white or yellow metal? As far as K color is concerned, it can go either way. I'd opt for the metal color that I love the most. A well-cut K set in yg will show nice stone-to-metal contrast. In white metal, there will be less contrast, and you may pick up on more body color. It depends on the cut of the stone and the setting style. It also depends on how color sensitive you are.
 

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
5,028
Chrono|1316000648|3017202 said:
A bezel setting can give the illusion of making the diamond look bigger but I personally prefer prong setting to allow light in from all angles to maximize the light return to take full advantage of the big flashes of light back to the viewer's eye.
I completly agree with Chrono. I have a prong set asscher. Step cuts are less brilliant than other cuts and I prefer the extra light from the prong setting. I think that the extra fire and brilliance will make the stone appear as large as it would in a bezel setting. That said, it really is a matter of preference.
 

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
5,028
Chrono|1316000648|3017202 said:
A bezel setting can give the illusion of making the diamond look bigger but I personally prefer prong setting to allow light in from all angles to maximize the light return to take full advantage of the big flashes of light back to the viewer's eye.
I completly agree with Chrono. I have a prong set asscher. Step cuts are less brilliant than other cuts and I prefer the extra light from the prong setting. I think that the extra fire and brilliance will make the stone appear as large as it would in a bezel setting. That said, it really is a matter of preference.
 

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
5,028
Chrono|1316000648|3017202 said:
A bezel setting can give the illusion of making the diamond look bigger but I personally prefer prong setting to allow light in from all angles to maximize the light return to take full advantage of the big flashes of light back to the viewer's eye.
I agree with Crono. I have a prong set asscher. Step cuts aren't as brilliant as some of the other cuts, and I think that extra fire and brilliance allowed by the prong setting will make your stone appear as large as it would if you chose a bezel setting. It's really all a matter of preference though. Good Luck, either will be beautiful!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top