shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel or gypsy settings....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thetrial

Rough_Rock
Hi I was wondering if having a diamond set in either of these settings keeps your diamond safer from chipping and cracking?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to add that with fancy shapes that have a pointy tip (ie. pear, marquise, etc) a bezel would definitely be more protective of that tip. But you do tend to cover up more of the diamond w/ the bezel, and some people don''t like that look.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what a gypsy setting is and would like to. Will one of you post a picture? If not, I will have to foray out into the wide world outside of Pricescope to see one. I have a diamond set in a half-bezel, by the way. I do not usually like the look of a bezel setting. (Although there are exceptions; some designs are exquisite.) The half bezel doesn''t seem as ponderous to me. (This stone is a solitaire I wear around my neck if I ever put on my jewelry.)

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post this, Steve. I do not think I ever saw a stone set exactly like this. When one is making the setting (or the piece), how does it differ from making a channel setting, which also has the stone set at a level under the surrounding metal? (Or appears to?)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 10
6.gif
2:37 AM
Author: Feydakin
Looks like a good topic for a detialed article, you think?? :)
Sure so. If you ever take to it...

How are these bezels made ? The sides are so thin it begs the quetion what holds the stone in there anyway !?

Ring_3stone_4047.jpg

thetrial

Rough_Rock
Hi thanks for the replies, it''s a radiant cut yellow diamond, I''m thinking of the bezel in 18k yellow because it will bring out the yellow more (it''s a fancy light yellow). I''ve been following the "chipped" thread and am curious if square or rectangular cut stones chip easier when they are set?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2005 9
6.gif
6.gif
3 AM
Author: AGBF
I have no idea what a gypsy setting is and would like to. Will one of you post a picture? If not, I will have to foray out into the wide world outside of Pricescope to see one. I have a diamond set in a half-bezel, by the way. I do not usually like the look of a bezel setting. (Although there are exceptions; some designs are exquisite.) The half bezel doesn't seem as ponderous to me. (This stone is a solitaire I wear around my neck if I ever put on my jewelry.)

Deb
Hey Deb:

Here's a couple shots from the making of my ring. All the stones are "Gypsy" set. I hope you enjoy. Maybe Steve will have more input.
1.gif

debexample.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s the second part of the picture. It was too big to post all at once.
21.gif

debexample2.JPG

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
not to complicate things, but how is a ''burnished'' setting done? is it different from the flush? TIA

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating pictures, Josh. Thank you. I looked down at my fingers and felt clumsy just seeing the photographs of the work, though! I don''t know why, but until I saw these photos I never thought about having to work with fine instruments on extremely tiny stones and bits of metal. I know the trouble *I* had just lining up stones for a photograph. (I ended up sticking my spinel and two diamonds into the pile of my carpet because I couldn''t get them to stand up in a row!) I still never thought of what it would be like for a jeweler. I have to say that these pictures really put me in the jeweler''s shoes for a second!

Deb

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah Deb:

I think the more well rounded a jewler becomes the more well versed they become in the nuances and different styles of setting. This particular jeweler was weary of setting emeralds in the same way because they are a little more brittle, but the outcome was beautiful and no mis-haps.
21.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Great pictures Josh! I''ve always wondered about the specifics of gypsy setting. I have 2 gypsy set bands that I love. Both were purchased in Europe, and I really haven''t seen much like them here except maybe for the Tiffany Etoile. It seems we do more channel setting here for similar styles.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of one of my gypsy bands. The other is yellow gold with 5 stones -- it was my 10 year anniversary gift. I feel as if the stones are very secure andprotected in them. I suppose you could hurt the some way, but with metal all around them, they feel very protected.

ring and gypsy band1.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2005 10:51
6.gif
3 PM
Author: lop
Here is a picture of one of my gypsy bands. The other is yellow gold with 5 stones -- it was my 10 year anniversary gift. I feel as if the stones are very secure andprotected in them. I suppose you could hurt the some way, but with metal all around them, they feel very protected.
You are correct Lop:

This type of setting is very safe in that it covers the entire girdle of the stone which will help prevent knicks or damage which might occur to a diamond in an "open-setting".

Your band is beatiful and reminds me of many rings I have seen from the early victorian era..
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2005 12:55:52 AM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Your band is beatiful and reminds me of many rings I have seen from the early victorian era..
Speaking of which
2.gif

LINK

Tiffany1883.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow Val thanks for finding that example!

I think this is unique in that it is stamped "Tiffany & Company" and was given as a Christmas gift 12/25/1883. 122 years ago.

The ring looks to be in superb condition..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results