shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel for Spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking of putting a spinel in a bezel setting. Will it darken the stone? I have found several options and would love your opinions. The stone is 5.75 mm and is a darker purple indoors and a light blue in diffused sunlight.

Please let me know what you all think! And if you have other setting ideas I''d love to see those too.

THANKS

LOGR

058b.jpg

I can''t get the side view to post here but I''ve posted it before...

lgr.JPG

OK took it from my other post. Is this setting open enough to allow enough light in?

I''m also thinking about Sally''s Pillbox ring. Would I need to send the stone to her for this setting since it''s a bezel?

il_430xN.62756478.jpg

My third option would be a LOGR that has prongs instead of actually bezeling the stone.

101e.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it''s a dark spinel, I probably wouldn''t. Mariedtiger''s recent post on her recut pink spinel is typical of the type of spinel I would put in a bezel, which she did, and it came out great. If it''s a blue to purple spinel, it will probably be too dark to put in a bezel. I''m not a spinel expert though, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL I appreciate the input!

Funny how the photos showed up when I was writing my post but not now. But everyone knows what Sally''s pillbox looks like!

Now I just need advice from some spinel experts!!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Stone Hunter, how deep a color is your spinel, I don''t remember? I have a violet to purple spinel in a semi bezel and it performs well. I don''t know if this helps you, but here''s a picture. The spinels that I have seen IRL, that are well cut have had good light return, and there is a beautiful "glowy" effect that comes from bezeling, that I like a lot. Good luck!

gemritespinelsemibezel.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:51:53 AM
Author: mariedtiger
Hi Stone Hunter, how deep a color is your spinel, I don''t remember? I have a violet to purple spinel in a semi bezel and it performs well. I don''t know if this helps you, but here''s a picture. The spinels that I have seen IRL, that are well cut have had good light return, and there is a beautiful ''glowy'' effect that comes from bezeling, that I like a lot. Good luck!

Love that ring :)
I may have a spinel coming my way as well, so I''m looking forward how your project turns out! do you have pics of the spinel somewhere?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Stone Hunter, how deep a color is your spinel, I don''t remember? I have a violet to purple spinel in a semi bezel and it performs well. I don''t know if this helps you, but here''s a picture. The spinels that I have seen IRL, that are well cut have had good light return, and there is a beautiful ''glowy'' effect that comes from bezeling, that I like a lot. Good luck!
Thanks it does have alot of sparkle and good light return, even through the plastic box cover.
I really like that setting. Where did you get it? It looks a bit like the WF setting another PSer is taking her diamond out of.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 12:23:02 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Love that ring :)
I may have a spinel coming my way as well, so I''m looking forward how your project turns out! do you have pics of the spinel somewhere?
Ah no photos yet. It has been overcast and rained every sigle day since I got it, very unusual for here. Once for less than 5 minutes I got to see it in the sun.

I''ve tried getting photos and they are terrible. So I''m waiting for the weather to be good when I have "free time."

Any photography tips for spinels would be appreciated.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK how about this in WG?

It would let in more light than a bezel.

It is from Stuller and I know my local jeweler orders from them.

ETA: ARRGH I'm having nothing but photo problems this week. It is the swirl mounting for a round stone.

Thanks.

imgnotfound.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SH- cant see any pics, except the one setting you posted, and I love that setting, I''m all for bezeling as you already know I''m a bezel lover but for lighter colored stones is my preferece now... after seeing all these beauties on here...

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I love your setting too mariedtiger!
30.gif
That''s almost exactly the setting (minus the sidestones) that I''ve had in mind while making the last few gemstone purchases that I''ve made. Do you mind telling us where you got it?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe MariedTiger''s setting was custom done by a local jeweler.

I just bought this spinel from Welborn at a great deal, and it''ll probably go in a bezel too assuming it''s not too dark in person. Wahoo! Bought my first spinel, can''t wait to see it
9.gif

Do you have any vendor pics of the spinel you''re thinking of bezeling SH?

lavender-spinel-oval120.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes but the vendor picture is very different than the IRL. Probably because it''s a moderate color shifter. OK maybe there''ll be sun on Saturday and I can take photos.

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 11:11:45 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If it''s a dark spinel, I probably wouldn''t. Mariedtiger''s recent post on her recut pink spinel is typical of the type of spinel I would put in a bezel, which she did, and it came out great. If it''s a blue to purple spinel, it will probably be too dark to put in a bezel. I''m not a spinel expert though, so hopefully someone else can chime in.
Do bezel settings darken a stone is that why you don''t recommend it for dark spinels?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again, sorry I'm late, due to time zones. My setting is done by a local jeweler, but I'm certain Whiteflash would make the same.
1.gif
I am happy with this one, it performs really well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK the bezel is out for this stone. On another PS thread Chrono pointed out that bezeling a color shifting spinel would limit the light going to the stone.

So while I love the LOGR setting that many other PSers have used I''ll need to keep it in mind for a different stone.

THANKS ALL you have been very helpful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 11:24:25 PM
Author: Chicago

Do bezel settings darken a stone is that why you don''t recommend it for dark spinels?
A bezel usually deepens the stone''s original tone, so if it''s dark, the final result will be darker. A light toned stone will appear medium light when bezeled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results