Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware of the gold snatchers!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
3,101
So, with gold hitting crazy record prices (this morning a new record high of $1898.60 per ounce!)have people here on the forum heard the news reports about people having their gold chains and necklaces literally ripped off their necks by people as they run by them!
I remember this happening back in the late early 80s when i was living in California and gold and silver hit record prices back then.People had to be careful walking down the streets and board walks because thieves would wear roller rink skates( roller disco fever!!)and grab peoples chains off their necks as they skated past them! Anything like this happening in your area with gold snatchers :evil:
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
I literally came on here to post the same thing!!

My question is: is this going to affect what jewelry you choose to wear put in public?? I am definitely going to think about where I am going and what I'm doing before wear gold necklaces!
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
When I saw your topic heading I thought, "Of course!" I remember the incidents in the last gold run-up. Around my tiny town I won't worry but when I go into the city, will definitely not wear hoop earrings or necklaces!
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,403
jewelerman|1314029440|2996590 said:
So, with gold hitting crazy record prices (this morning a new record high of $1898.60 per ounce!)have people here on the forum heard the news reports about people having their gold chains and necklaces literally ripped off their necks by people as they run by them!
I remember this happening back in the late early 80s when i was living in California and gold and silver hit record prices back then.People had to be careful walking down the streets and board walks because thieves would wear roller rink skates( roller disco fever!!)and grab peoples chains off their necks as they skated past them! Anything like this happening in your area with gold snatchers :evil:
yes,but i don't go to that part of town very often.
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
Ha, never heard of this! I guess I'll refrain from wearing my Mr. T necklace out and about, then. :cheeky:
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193
thing2of2|1314036591|2996688 said:
Ha, never heard of this! I guess I'll refrain from wearing my Mr. T necklace out and about, then. :cheeky:
I always knew you had style, T2. :cheeky:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,966
Maybe I should put on a shirt.

0mws.jpg
 

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
701
kenny|1314037896|2996703 said:
Maybe I should put on a shirt.
The upside to that chain is that they would probably need to use a chainsaw to snatch it.
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,788
Kenny, where do you find these things?!!!!


What was that guy thinking? is that the beach equivilant of a bullet proof vest? maybe the ladies will want him for his gold and not notice the gut? Does a bigger cross get you closer to heaven? Was that used to anchor a small watercraft?
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
I have heard of someone's necklace ripped off their neck through an open car window in Mozambique. When I first came to Tanzania I didn't wear earrings because I read a travel warning about them possibly being ripped from your ears. I realize now this is unfounded, worse case they'll be like, "give me your earrings" which I feel like is a risk I can absorb. My husband has a nice watch and didn't wear it at first, but it only took a week for him to realize everyone wears those watches except they are fake. Most people wear costume jewelry so I think a thief is not as likely to snatch that as they are your purse. It's like a friend of mine who spent her 94 years collecting priceless antiques like lamps by Louis Comfort Tiffany and 15th century Italian oil paintings....when her house was robbed the thieves absconded with just a 20 year old TV and clock radio.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,966
luv2sparkle|1314039660|2996724 said:
Kenny, where do you find these things?!!!!
What was that guy thinking? is that the beach equivilant of a bullet proof vest? maybe the ladies will want him for his gold and not notice the gut? Does a bigger cross get you closer to heaven? Was that used to anchor a small watercraft?
Hey, that's me. :lol:

Seriously, I just googled huge gold chain and it's the first image that comes up.

og.png
 

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,227
I've thought about this, as I've watched the price of gold climb, but it's the first I'm hearing about it this time around. I haven't changed my sparkly wearing habits, so far, but I may in the future.


And, Kenny, a shirt would be good, and maybe even a pair of pants.... :D
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
I've had a chain snatched off my neck (not theft, just assault), and it bloody well hurts. Not too eager to repeat that.

It's enough to make me wonder if it's even worth switching my beloved pendant to a silver chain ... or if it's like wearing costume, where anyone who would rob you for the sparkle of a 2 carat diamond would just as readily rob you for the sparkle of a 2 carat CZ.
 

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
3,101
circe,
Sorry to hear about your experience!i think that thieves are not all that discriminating and will take what ever gets their attention and sparkles or shines and will sort out whats real and fake at the pawn shop.
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
Have stopped wearing my diamond pendant now.... :(sad
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
Well, I suppose it is always good to be aware of your surroundings- anyplace that something like that might happen, I'd have my jewelry hidden or not on anyway. Last time I went someplace I might worry about my jewelry (GA floor of a Rob Zombie / Slayer show in Seattle a couple weekends ago, actually :devil:) I left *all* the good jewelry at home and wore the fun rhinestone costume stuff from the '50s. So yeah, I guess if I was wandering around downtown urban areas a lot alone, I'd worry. But, I don't, and the worst you need to worry about in the little town I live is the drunken dude-bros that take over every weekend puking or peeing on something. Which they do. By day it's a cute little antiques mecca- and the little old ladies don't notice that for every antique store, there's a bar. At night the bikers and dude-bros take over, the bars over-serve like whoa, and there's a raging party in the streets. Thus, our building gets peed on, puked on, and you find drunken dude-bros abandoned here and there- very sad. But, I don't think any of them have the motor coordination to snatch *anything*, purse, jewelry or whatever.

Wow, I'm rambling and overcaffeinated today. Don't mind me!
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
jewelerman|1314114511|2997403 said:
circe,
Sorry to hear about your experience!i think that thieves are not all that discriminating and will take what ever gets their attention and sparkles or shines and will sort out whats real and fake at the pawn shop.

Yep. I don't think they ponder whether it's CZ or diamond when they are considering ripping something off you in the streets.
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Amys Bling|1314138200|2997763 said:
jewelerman|1314114511|2997403 said:
circe,
Sorry to hear about your experience!i think that thieves are not all that discriminating and will take what ever gets their attention and sparkles or shines and will sort out whats real and fake at the pawn shop.

Yep. I don't think they ponder whether it's CZ or diamond when they are considering ripping something off you in the streets.
Thanks, guys - it was years ago, when I was a college student (random angry lady suffering the subway rider's equivalent of road rage during rush hour).

Oh, I didn't figure it would matter if the pendant was visible- but while my platinum chain is only 20" and, well, looks real, my sterling chains are, a) longer, and b) look cheaper. But perhaps it's not worth the risk either way. :nono:
 

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
3,876
My hubby was telling me about this :nono: I for the most part do not wear much jewelry when I go out by myself, usually its just my 5 stone and a watch (simple inexpensive Bulova) since I am short, chubby and older I would be an easy target....I dont wish for that to happen.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,919
Circe|1314113883|2997386 said:
I've had a chain snatched off my neck (not theft, just assault), and it bloody well hurts. Not too eager to repeat that.

It's enough to make me wonder if it's even worth switching my beloved pendant to a silver chain ... or if it's like wearing costume, where anyone who would rob you for the sparkle of a 2 carat diamond would just as readily rob you for the sparkle of a 2 carat CZ.
If I were you (god I hate sentences that begin with that, sorry!) I would package the existing chain with your pendant attached in one of those teensy ziploc bags (like 1"x1" size) and carry it in your bra until you get where you're going, then put it on. If anyone snatched your gorgeous pear I think I would just be forever woebegone!
 

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
9,295
LGK|1314136432|2997742 said:
Well, I suppose it is always good to be aware of your surroundings- anyplace that something like that might happen, I'd have my jewelry hidden or not on anyway. Last time I went someplace I might worry about my jewelry (GA floor of a Rob Zombie / Slayer show in Seattle a couple weekends ago, actually :devil:) I left *all* the good jewelry at home and wore the fun rhinestone costume stuff from the '50s. So yeah, I guess if I was wandering around downtown urban areas a lot alone, I'd worry. But, I don't, and the worst you need to worry about in the little town I live is the drunken dude-bros that take over every weekend puking or peeing on something. Which they do. By day it's a cute little antiques mecca- and the little old ladies don't notice that for every antique store, there's a bar. At night the bikers and dude-bros take over, the bars over-serve like whoa, and there's a raging party in the streets. Thus, our building gets peed on, puked on, and you find drunken dude-bros abandoned here and there- very sad. But, I don't think any of them have the motor coordination to snatch *anything*, purse, jewelry or whatever.

Wow, I'm rambling and overcaffeinated today. Don't mind me!

LGK --- Does your cute little antique mecca have a lumber mill next door?
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
TooPatient|1314200871|2998251 said:
LGK|1314136432|2997742 said:
Well, I suppose it is always good to be aware of your surroundings- anyplace that something like that might happen, I'd have my jewelry hidden or not on anyway. Last time I went someplace I might worry about my jewelry (GA floor of a Rob Zombie / Slayer show in Seattle a couple weekends ago, actually :devil:) I left *all* the good jewelry at home and wore the fun rhinestone costume stuff from the '50s. So yeah, I guess if I was wandering around downtown urban areas a lot alone, I'd worry. But, I don't, and the worst you need to worry about in the little town I live is the drunken dude-bros that take over every weekend puking or peeing on something. Which they do. By day it's a cute little antiques mecca- and the little old ladies don't notice that for every antique store, there's a bar. At night the bikers and dude-bros take over, the bars over-serve like whoa, and there's a raging party in the streets. Thus, our building gets peed on, puked on, and you find drunken dude-bros abandoned here and there- very sad. But, I don't think any of them have the motor coordination to snatch *anything*, purse, jewelry or whatever.

Wow, I'm rambling and overcaffeinated today. Don't mind me!

LGK --- Does your cute little antique mecca have a lumber mill next door?
Why yes, yes it does :bigsmile: And an eponymously named very large river which floods us quite thoroughly every few years! You from around here too?
 

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
9,295
LGK|1314211211|2998373 said:
TooPatient|1314200871|2998251 said:
LGK|1314136432|2997742 said:
Well, I suppose it is always good to be aware of your surroundings- anyplace that something like that might happen, I'd have my jewelry hidden or not on anyway. Last time I went someplace I might worry about my jewelry (GA floor of a Rob Zombie / Slayer show in Seattle a couple weekends ago, actually :devil:) I left *all* the good jewelry at home and wore the fun rhinestone costume stuff from the '50s. So yeah, I guess if I was wandering around downtown urban areas a lot alone, I'd worry. But, I don't, and the worst you need to worry about in the little town I live is the drunken dude-bros that take over every weekend puking or peeing on something. Which they do. By day it's a cute little antiques mecca- and the little old ladies don't notice that for every antique store, there's a bar. At night the bikers and dude-bros take over, the bars over-serve like whoa, and there's a raging party in the streets. Thus, our building gets peed on, puked on, and you find drunken dude-bros abandoned here and there- very sad. But, I don't think any of them have the motor coordination to snatch *anything*, purse, jewelry or whatever.

Wow, I'm rambling and overcaffeinated today. Don't mind me!

LGK --- Does your cute little antique mecca have a lumber mill next door?
Why yes, yes it does :bigsmile: And an eponymously named very large river which floods us quite thoroughly every few years! You from around here too?
You describe it just perfectly!

My father still lives just up the hill from the mecca. Right about 2 minute walk actually. I now live about 30 minute drive from there ;( Been a few months since I've made it to the area. We have a hangar at the airport so we're likely to be spending a lot more time in the area :appl:

The flooding is pretty consistant! I remember watching the water rise one year and worrying about all of the great antiques I loved to visit. (I think that was '92)

Oh the hours I've spent wandering just looking at the beautiful stuff....


Is the icecream shop still around? I don't remember seeing it last time I was there.
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
TooPatient|1314216164|2998437 said:
LGK|1314211211|2998373 said:
TooPatient|1314200871|2998251 said:
LGK|1314136432|2997742 said:
Well, I suppose it is always good to be aware of your surroundings- anyplace that something like that might happen, I'd have my jewelry hidden or not on anyway. Last time I went someplace I might worry about my jewelry (GA floor of a Rob Zombie / Slayer show in Seattle a couple weekends ago, actually :devil:) I left *all* the good jewelry at home and wore the fun rhinestone costume stuff from the '50s. So yeah, I guess if I was wandering around downtown urban areas a lot alone, I'd worry. But, I don't, and the worst you need to worry about in the little town I live is the drunken dude-bros that take over every weekend puking or peeing on something. Which they do. By day it's a cute little antiques mecca- and the little old ladies don't notice that for every antique store, there's a bar. At night the bikers and dude-bros take over, the bars over-serve like whoa, and there's a raging party in the streets. Thus, our building gets peed on, puked on, and you find drunken dude-bros abandoned here and there- very sad. But, I don't think any of them have the motor coordination to snatch *anything*, purse, jewelry or whatever.

Wow, I'm rambling and overcaffeinated today. Don't mind me!

LGK --- Does your cute little antique mecca have a lumber mill next door?
Why yes, yes it does :bigsmile: And an eponymously named very large river which floods us quite thoroughly every few years! You from around here too?
You describe it just perfectly!

My father still lives just up the hill from the mecca. Right about 2 minute walk actually. I now live about 30 minute drive from there ;( Been a few months since I've made it to the area. We have a hangar at the airport so we're likely to be spending a lot more time in the area :appl:

The flooding is pretty consistant! I remember watching the water rise one year and worrying about all of the great antiques I loved to visit. (I think that was '92)

Oh the hours I've spent wandering just looking at the beautiful stuff....


Is the icecream shop still around? I don't remember seeing it last time I was there.
Sadly, the icecream shop is gone :(sad People are still asking about it! The bakery has started selling icecream, but it's not the same. If you come by the biggest store (the one uphill one block from the main drag) say hi! I'm there at the front desk pretty much every day except Mon & Tues. :bigsmile: If you were shopping in town in the '90s I'm sure you met my in-laws ;))- my MIL was the original front-desk person. That's cool you have a hangar at the airport- I'm sure it's an amazing view of the valley from the air; I keep meaning to take a balloon ride or something, but you know, if you live in town you never do the fun touristy things :rolleyes: (You could *not* pay me to skydive though- I keep wondering if any of those zillions of skydivers will ever miss and land on my roof!)
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top