shape
carat
color
clarity

between LOGR and Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just browsed ebay for a setting for my new CC garnet - I did not find Lordofgemrings but found several websites from China, I presume they are all the same. But realizing that between upgrading the diamonds and gold it will probably be twice as much...I haven''t asked for Leon Mege''s quotes because it is too late and also because I suspect they may be too high for my new baby. (Although the rings that I saw on his website were not too expenisve for the quality of the stones, but mine is just a garnet). But is there anything in the middle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For diamond and gold settings in that price range, try knoxjewelers.biz, Whiteflash, or Brian Gavin Diamonds. I know there are others, but I can''t think of them off the top of my head. The mounts that Leon makes are hand made, hence the higher price. The others are machine made, but made to a higher quality of standards than LOGR. Whiteflash also uses ACA diamonds which sparkle like crazy.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, don't be afraid to ask Leon for a quote and in a couple of cases where I was searching for something nearly impossible (bezel baguette halo), he was the lowest of my quotes. He's surprisingly reasonable, depending on how much melee or bezel work is involved.

BGD is also very reasonable.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you TL and Lauren! I shall check all of them.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Shimmer! I am fine with antique rings, and checked the link - she makes great things, but alas, I happened to click on the most expensive things on her website (does it happen only to me? I go the the most expensive clothes when shopping at Nordstrom, always make a bee line to the most expensive furniture...). But I shall contact them and see what is more affordable. I really liked the ring featured on PS.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones from Beverly K are all at least 1200 dollars. Which may still be OK. Whiteflash is easy to navigate and they also do not request you to use their stones - which is good, because some of their settings are not too expensive and I can set my stone right into it. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for custom work quotes. Brian Gavin - I simply could not access his website; instead there were blogs and more blogs. No phone number, nothing. Maybe I am bad at searching, but can anyone help me? I am still going to call Leon Mege but if they give me quotes above 1500 I think it makes no sense to set a CC garnet there. Yesterday night I though of a very interesting modern idea but it calls for a jeweller who can work with two types of gold, preferably textured ones, and, alas, my stone is too large for it and the evening color won''t fit at all. Paraiba would be fine but where can one find even a tiny Paraiba? Even a cabochon could do.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 5:52:22 PM
Author: crasru
The ones from Beverly K are all at least 1200 dollars. Which may still be OK. Whiteflash is easy to navigate and they also do not request you to use their stones - which is good, because some of their settings are not too expensive and I can set my stone right into it. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for custom work quotes. Brian Gavin - I simply could not access his website; instead there were blogs and more blogs. No phone number, nothing. Maybe I am bad at searching, but can anyone help me? I am still going to call Leon Mege but if they give me quotes above 1500 I think it makes no sense to set a CC garnet there. Yesterday night I though of a very interesting modern idea but it calls for a jeweller who can work with two types of gold, preferably textured ones, and, alas, my stone is too large for it and the evening color won''t fit at all. Paraiba would be fine but where can one find even a tiny Paraiba? Even a cabochon could do.

Here you go! http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 12:37:05 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I have to say, don''t be afraid to ask Leon for a quote and in a couple of cases where I was searching for something nearly impossible (bezel baguette halo), he was the lowest of my quotes. He''s surprisingly reasonable, depending on how much melee or bezel work is involved.

The only thing I would say about Leon is that he has to have artisitic control. While you can agree to certain things, there are no cads, waxes, or drawings to meet your approval on the piece. While most of his customers have been happy with the final outcome, there have been a few that have not, and there is no refund or rework on the piece allowed if you are unhappy. I have never purchased a Leon, so I am hearing all of this second hand from people that have.

His website is artofplatinum.com.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 7:18:02 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/23/2010 12:37:05 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I have to say, don''t be afraid to ask Leon for a quote and in a couple of cases where I was searching for something nearly impossible (bezel baguette halo), he was the lowest of my quotes. He''s surprisingly reasonable, depending on how much melee or bezel work is involved.

The only thing I would say about Leon is that he has to have artisitic control. While you can agree to certain things, there are no cads, waxes, or drawings to meet your approval on the piece. While most of his customers have been happy with the final outcome, there have been a few that have not, and there is no refund or rework on the piece allowed if you are unhappy. I have never purchased a Leon, so I am hearing all of this second hand from people that have.

His website is artofplatinum.com.
Right, he''s "reasonable" in terms of the projects he wants to work on.

If he comes back with a quote that''s way out of budget, take that as a hint that he''ll be difficult for you to work with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very good middle ground is Whiteflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds. Both will give quotes very promptly and do impeccible work.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Casru,

I''m speaking purely from my experience with Leon. He''s set a few gems for me, including 2 garnets. He''s proposed settings that I''ve rejected, but he''s never taken liberties on the agreed-upon design. Other posters have reported negative experiences, however.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results