shape
carat
color
clarity

Better Value - EVS1 or FVVS2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunflower

Rough_Rock
Please help me choose the diamond of better value. Both are GIA certified.

1.01, EVS1 or 1.06 FVVS2. Both are being offered for the same price.

Dimensions
Surprisingly, the 1.01 EVS1 looks larger than the 1.06 FVVS2 from the top. The dimensions on the FVVS2 are 5.48x5.42, almost a perfect square, whereas the EVS1 is slightly more rectangular. The depth on the EVS1 is below 75%, but the depth on the FVVS2 is 76.6%.

Clarity
The EVS1 has one small inclusion right in the middle of the top. The FVVS2 is clean, no inclusions on the top.

Side by side, the 1.01 EVS1 looks icier, more glassy while the 1.06 FVVS2 was a touch more grey, but had much more fire and brilliance. I guess since it''s heavier, the FVVS2 is more dense? Does that mean anything?

Help me tell the differences between these stones and tell which one is more valuable?

Thanks!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Use all the data on both diamonds and compare them to the Cut Charts. You can access Cut Charts from the Price Scope Tutorial or on Dave Atlas' web site. Once you know the cut rating, you can evaluate pricing using Price Stats from the link at the top of the page.

Or, you can post complete stats here for some input from the pros and those in the know on princess cut.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the E VS looks bigger, it probably is cut a little better. definitely use the DIY cut grader on www.gemappraisers.com to find out more information. Stick with a 1A-2B type fancy cut and you should be fine, but your eye may help make the final decisions, with the fancy cuts, the numbers don't always tell the full story (see recent thread about 'what is wrong with this princess')

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/1/2003 2:51:39 PM Mara wrote: If the E VS looks bigger, it probably is cut a little better.----------------
Since when do you choose bigger over "more fire and brilliance"?
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/1/2003 3:20:45 PM elmo wrote:

----------------
On 12/1/2003 2:51:39 PM Mara wrote: If the E VS looks bigger, it probably is cut a little better.----------------

Since when do you choose bigger over 'more fire and brilliance'?
1.gif

----------------

Are you kidding? I am SIZE GIRL after all!!
1.gif
Personally if a diamond looks larger than another one and the ctw is less-- chances are the cut may be better. If a larger ctw diamond looks smaller--it may be carrying more depth in the pav and not up-top where it visually counts!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
"I guess since it's heavier, the FVVS2 is more dense? Does that mean anything?"...No, the density of diamond does not change with color or clarity differences.

If two stones weigh the same and one looks smaller face up than the other, it just means the weight of that stone is "hidden" in larger girdle, pavilion or crown dimensions.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Having seen both stones, which do you prefer? Which do you value more, apparent size or more fire/brilliance? It sounds like you might be trading off one for the other. I would probably choose the more sparkly stone myself, simply because the difference in size doesn't sound like it's that big.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote 1.01 E vs1....
wavey.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm with CG. Having the luxury of viewing both, pick the one that appeals to you more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results