shape
carat
color
clarity

Better for RHR or Engagement Upgrade

P

PierreBear

Hi Pricescope Friends,

I don't know who else to better ask this question to than on these forums. I am in the beginning research stages of a 10 year anniversary ring. My current engagement ring has that typical classic look with a round brilliant setting all in platinum. Maybe my style has changed or I am finally being confident enough to make a bold statement... but attached is a ring that really stood out to me because it's so different. I am considering something that looks completely different for the anniversary present that wouldn't look like an engagement ring upgrade. However, I was wondering if this would actually look like an engagement upgrade or is this more for a right hand ring? Subjective question but opinions are appreciated! I rather hear the truth on the forum that in person. haha!

Also, in purchasing a "custom" or "unique" ring, would you just let the boutique type company (I'm thinking of specialized places like Leon Mege/Steven Kirsh/Erica Grace etc type places) just source the diamond? Or is it better to just bring your own diamond. Pros/cons of methods? I assume sourcing your own diamond might save you some money but you better be an expert on picking it? However, if you let the ring maker pick it then perhaps it's just more convenient? Either way they can design the ring based on what would look best with the stone I suppose.

Thanks in advance!

rhr_or_anniversary.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that one looks more like a right hand ring. That diamond is not cut for brilliance, so your finger may very well show through. If you want to buy an emerald cut diamond and have it set like that, then that would be different. You can find a well cut emerald cut diamond with some help here, and then have someone make the ring. I think Caysie van Bebber through Love Affair Diamonds would be a good choice for making that particular ring because of it being an antique style. I would very rarely consider having the ring maker source the diamond, with the exception of Victor Canera, for example, who does carry his own line of well cut diamonds (but mostly round and cushions). Victor could also make this ring.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really into "different" so I would wear this on my left hand for sure. But then again, I am very partial to rose cut diamonds, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :lol:

P

PierreBear

Diamondseeker - Thanks for sharing your perspective. It makes sense but I guess I haven't thought of it before that traditionally the engagement should be more of a diamond cut to show brilliance where a RHR might not. I was thinking that I already have a round brilliant though very modest and will be switching out between sets throughout the week and might get comfortable with it that way. However, the two styles are so different that I think wearing just my wedding band (platinum shared prong) and the antique type ring on my right hand wouldn't look great so I'm just a bit torn on how to wear something like this.

Do you mind explaining why you would not have the ring maker source the diamond?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results