Better Clarity or Bigger Size?

Bigger Stone or Better Clarity?

• 1.5 ct SI2 for more money

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 2.0 ct I1 for less money

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
If given two ideally cut stones:

one totally eye-clean 1.5 ct SI2 (7.41*7.44*4.58) for $xxxx + $1700 more

OR

one "super eye clean" 2.0 ct I1 (8.13*8.17*5.02) with a well masked white inclusion only available upon inspection for $xxxx

...which would you choose (all other factors being the same).

Do you go with the smaller more expensive stone, or the more affordable larger stone with the inclusion that only you can find?

(and I know I know..it''s all about finding a mind clean stone ;-) ehhe just curious what others would do as I am facing a big decision right now)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
My initial instinct ... #2 is more rare ... it''s hard to find a relatively "eye clean" I1 stone ...

Assuming that both stones are avail with an upgrade policy (in case you find you ARE bothered by the inclusion ... or ARE bothered by the smaller size)

I''d pick #2 & hope the inclusion wouldn''t ever bother me!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t need a perfectly clarity clean diamond. as long as the stone is super douper well cut and full of sparkle, i''m happy. if i can throw on some size too, that''s an added bonus.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
yes deco...the vendor has an upgrade policy but unfortunately my boyfriend does not ;-) Supposedly it''s one stone or the other for the rest of my life (although I''ve managed to change his mind on more than one occassion hehe so perhaps there is hope *wink wink*)

and I totally agree Belle...that''s exactly what I used to think :)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 3:05:38 PM
Author: hopefulheidi
yes deco...the vendor has an upgrade policy but unfortunately my boyfriend does not ;-) Supposedly it''s one stone or the other for the rest of my life (although I''ve managed to change his mind on more than one occassion hehe so perhaps there is hope *wink wink*)

and I totally agree Belle...that''s exactly what I used to think :)
That''s too funny
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 3:13:17 PM
Author: Pricescope
Date: 3/12/2007 3:05:38 PM
yes deco...the vendor has an upgrade policy but unfortunately my boyfriend does not ;-)
That''s too funny
9.gif
31.gif
HA!
Well ....
11.gif
the trick is to keep it the same *size* then & just upgrade clarity if necessary
11.gif
11.gif
... eh, I''d guess he''d notice if it dissapeared off of your finger for a couple weeks.
3.gif

But seriously - if it''s the forever stone ... go for the WHOPPER!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the I1 is actually eye-clean or coverable with a prong and an appriaser says there are no durability issues with the clarity, then that''s the way I would go.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
OMG Deco hehe I had the same (evil) thought! Perhaps my ring could be sent in for routine maintenance at some point in the future ;-) eheh What he doesn''t know, right? ;-)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends what ''super eye clean'' really means. It would bother me if I could easily point out the I1 grade making inclusion.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Who is making the assessment of these stones? Do you have photos, IS, and certs to evaluate? With SI2 and I1, you might want to look more closely at both of these diamonds. Of course, it depends what you are looking for in your future ring. FWIW, I voted option #1
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2007 4:50:23 PM
Author: risingsun
Who is making the assessment of these stones? Do you have photos, IS, and certs to evaluate? With SI2 and I1, you might want to look more closely at both of these diamonds. Of course, it depends what you are looking for in your future ring. FWIW, I voted option #1
2.gif
I agree. Let''s see the magnified photos. Without them, this is really a shot in the dark. An SI2 can have problems sometimes.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 4:56:03 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 3/12/2007 4:50:23 PM

Author: risingsun

2.gif

I agree. Let''s see the magnified photos. Without them, this is really a shot in the dark. An SI2 can have problems sometimes.

Thritto''s. We need to see.

I''ve personally seen a fabulous I1 that I wish I''d have grabbed at the time. It was a colored inclusion sitting where the Table and Kite/Star (get those 2 mixed up) facets join together.

Head on, you couldn''t even see the inclusion. Not even from the side. You had to know where to look and tilt the girdle of the diamond just right to even see it.

I could easily go for the right I1. If it''s truely eye clean and there are no durability issues.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
I have the post about the 2 ct I1 all written up but I can't post the photos right now due to a pesky thing known as an Internet filter. I can personally vouch for the specific 2 ct as it is sitting at home in it's little black box but I've set up this poll as more of a hypothetical. I've got a number of both professional and amateur photos of the larger stone and one photo of the smaller. When I get home a few hours from now I'll post the info and photos I've taken for my specific stone although that may skew the voting (in which direction I'm not sure hehe).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cut on both being equal..i''d go for the eye-clean 2 carat....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I pretty much already said this in the LIW thread, but I would keep that big honkin'' 2 ct stone! It''s gorgeous, looks great on you and I honestly couldn''t see the inclusions from the photos.

Plus, it would hurt me to go down a whole half of a carat after I had a 2 carat in my possession! Can''t wait to see more photos, though!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
it would hurt me to go down a whole half of a carat after I had a 2 carat in my possession<= Touche :) Glad someone else can feel my pain hehe

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:56:25 PM
it would hurt me to go down a whole half of a carat after I had a 2 carat in my possession<= Touche :) Glad someone else can feel my pain hehe
You might have mentioned this in your first post...there was no way that 2ct was going back
2.gif

niku414

Rough_Rock
I vote for 2.0 ct if it is truly "SUPER EYE CLEAN " :) I''m one of those ppl who can and will SEE inclusions (even on SI1) lol just ask my bf and the jeweler I am working with..... lol

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
risingsun... I didn''t want to sway anyone''s opinion one way or the other. AKA... I didn''t want anyone feeling they had to say good things about 2 ct I1s just to make me feel better. For once I think I actually wanted an honest opinion but we''ll see how the vote turns out ;-) hehe

niku414... super eye clean obviously means different things to different people and has to be taken with a grain of salt. Compared to other I1s this is definitely "super eye clean"...compared to a VS2, not so much. If you know where to look, and you have a few spare minutes, you *can* see the inclusion. If you''re a friend/family member/random stranger grabbing my hand to take a look at the goods, you''d never see the blemish. It all depends on audience and perspective ;-)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
HH--I couldn''t see your photos in the LIW thread
7.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
That, I can see. It looks beautiful
30.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

heidicollage.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Assuming well-cut and eye-clean, definitely the 2 carater. DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY -- with no doubt about it, and it wouldn''t be about saving money, either (although that would be a very nice BONUS!) It would be about the SIZE! IMVHO, there is a HUGE visual difference between a 1.5 and a 2 carat stone -- and I am ALL about SIZE, baby!
31.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the minority. But that''s because a 1.5 carat is plenty big for me. Now, say between a half carat and a carat I would pick size because 1/2 carat on my hand is kinda like, why bother???

It''s a personal choice and I wouldn''t think yuck if I saw a nice I1, AT ALL, and I SURE would NOT turn it down! I think you should pick the one you like the best. There are always woulda coulda shouldas, and you could drive yourself nuts trying to decide. Be honest with yourself about what''s important to you and then be happy with your selection. I''ll bet they are both lovely diamonds.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sucker is beautiful, and half a carat is a lot to lose. You say only you can see the inclusion. Does it bother you? If not, keep that beautiful stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 3:34:20 PM
OMG Deco hehe I had the same (evil) thought! Perhaps my ring could be sent in for routine maintenance at some point in the future ;-) eheh What he doesn''t know, right? ;-)
I wouldn''t be circuitous about this, BUT you''d be amazed what we can convince men to do once we''ve taken over their lives ::cackle:: It might take many years and I wouldn''t rush it.... but there comes a time when you know just how to move their stubborn mule like bottoms ;-)

PS - men! don''t read this!!!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Haha, I was going to post what Cehrabehra did, which is that given a few years and lots of very gentle *ahem* persuasion, I''m sure you can get an upgrade. Plus, you can always save up to trade in yourself.

From the photos I can''t see any inclusion in the 2ct, but I am very picky about clarity of the 3C''s other than cut, and it would bother me if I knew that it was there, but I have an IF which I didn''t pick but very much appreciate. I guess I am in the minority of PSers who would rather have a smaller, clearer stone. Also your 2ct does look beautiful and sparkly in the pics.

And I can also see the point that once you have a 2ct stone, it would be hard to let go.

I guess what it comes down to is, assume you could get an upgrade in the future - would you feel like you wanted an upgrade in the on clarity if you had a 2ct, or on size for the 1.5ct?

Hope this helps. You are lucky to have this type of confusion between a 1.5 and 2 carat!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
You are so right litebrite, I am very fortunate to have such a *tough* decision to make :razz:. I appreciate the fact that I'm in a very spoiled position right now ;-) hehe Unfortunately that doesn't really make the decision any easier
emcrook.gif

I've asked myself that very same question and depending on the day, the answer changes.

Originally I barely dared to dream that Nate would buy me a 1.5 ct. For a couple of years I was just hoping/praying for a solid carat to call my own. Somewhere around year 3 I'd guess, I started imagining a 1.25 ct adorning my left hand. Year 4, I was sure Nate could get me a 1.5 ct if he really wanted to. I never in my wildest dreams expected a 2.0 ct; until we found this one. This one little stone changed everything. If I had never seen it, I would have joyously nudged Nate in the direction of that 1.5 ct I fancy, but now, now it feels like there is no going back. I've seen what 8mm + looks like on my hand and I REALLY like it hehe

The more I wear it, the more I feel like you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers...so perhaps it's growing on me a bit, flaws and all :D

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Then the 2 carat is definitely the one you should get. It IS beautiful! Very sparkly, and you could wear it any way you want -- solitaire, side stones, halo, etc. Very versitile. How do you think you will set it?

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
lumpkin...
I''ve always liked the look of sidestones, be it pears or rounds or a combination of both eheh While it took me a long time to zero in on one setting, it was always obvious that I wanted some sort of diamond accents and a couple of years ago I finally found my ideal setting...the Tacori Rosebud (HT 2259) in platinum. Laney actually has the exact setting I want :)

Over the last few years, I''ve read a lot of questionable things about Tacori quality however, so I think we''ll be going with a cutom made version that our vendor offers. It''s one of the few settings Nate and I have both really liked the looks of so it''s definitely the forerunner.

hopefulheidi_setting1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results