shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to set a Bicoloured Tourmaline with large window

artofgems

Rough_Rock
I have this loose gem for some time and I like the colour. However, it has a large window and I'm afraid the gem will turn dark when set.

What's your advice for the best way to set this stone and also protect it from frequent wear?

Thank you!

IMG20221020154934~2.jpg IMG20221020160035~2.jpg IMG20221020160100~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20221020154920~2.jpg
    IMG20221020154920~2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 10

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a straight on picture of the gem (something not tilted or at an angle). Trying to assess the window size. I think it is the tilt window and not window that might be your concern. Can't do much about tilt windows. Almost all gems have it and you will always have some to a certain degree with step cuts.

artofgems

Rough_Rock
The second pic with the tweezer should be the straight on picture.

It's like practically see through from there. Is that considered a big window?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is still tilted / at an angle. I can see the last few steps so it is a tilt window, not a window.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent window. Lovely stone though! In my opinion, halos are the best at closing them, because they tend to block light from entering the sides of the stone and create a darker area beneath the stone. Also, when designing the undergallery, if they create something like this (below), it helps give the illusion of pavilion facets. Good luck!

download (3)ntuyt.jpg

001-200-00022_DRJ_DRJ3013_Two-tone-Peridot-and-Blue-Diamond-Halo-Ring_UnderGallery-1-1-scaled.jpg

back_master_bf556fff-6b6a-4cd0-b2b6-cd5fcdaeaead.jpg

Last edited:

artofgems

Rough_Rock
@AutumninNewEngland, this is a great idea!

I've attached new pictures for that tone taken hopefully at the right angle straight from the top. The second and third pictures show how it looks like.

I read online that if you can see the text from the window, it means that the window is too large. Is this a good way to gauge so? As seen in my first picture.

IMG20221123092510~2.jpg IMG_20221123_094554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20221123092645~2.jpg
    IMG20221123092645~2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@AutumninNewEngland, this is a great idea!

I've attached new pictures for that tone taken hopefully at the right angle straight from the top. The second and third pictures show how it looks like.

I read online that if you can see the text from the window, it means that the window is too large. Is this a good way to gauge so? As seen in my first picture.

IMG20221123092510~2.jpg IMG_20221123_094554.jpg

Now that I'm getting a better look at it straight on, I am in agreement with @chrono. The window seems much smaller in this last photo. It's mostly a tilt window (I only see 2 pavilion facets through the table losing light). I think a cleverly designed mounting will close that right up. I really love these watermelon stones!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In you second set of pictures, the 1st and 3rd are taken at an angle. Not a good way to judge window. You see a good sized tilt window. 2nd picture is the straightest. Possibly the tiniest of window but I still say it's not windowed because if I look hard, I can see the steps all the way down to the keel.

Best setting is something with a busy under-gallery.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'll second what everyone else is saying. It's a small window. It becomes bigger when you rotate the stone, but that's a tilt window and you can't really do anything about it.

The actual window is small enough that you may find it doesn't really bother you. The way to deal with it is usually to have metal under the stone. You can have an intricate gallery for example, or set it cathedral-style, that type of thing. If there's metal under the stone, it will reflect the light back to your eyes, effectively closing the window.

In you second set of pictures, the 1st and 3rd are taken at an angle. Not a good way to judge window. You see a good sized tilt window. 2nd picture is the straightest. Possibly the tiniest of window but I still say it's not windowed because if I look hard, I can see the steps all the way down to the keel.

Best setting is something with a busy under-gallery.

I'll second what everyone else is saying. It's a small window. It becomes bigger when you rotate the stone, but that's a tilt window and you can't really do anything about it.

The actual window is small enough that you may find it doesn't really bother you. The way to deal with it is usually to have metal under the stone. You can have an intricate gallery for example, or set it cathedral-style, that type of thing. If there's metal under the stone, it will reflect the light back to your eyes, effectively closing the window.

Agreed x2.

artofgems

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and advice! Will share my ring after I get it set. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results