shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to safely clean and polish our wedding rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Good morning Pricescopers,

What is the most efficient and safe way to clean our diamond rings while still being gentle to our prongs and what is the best product to use on white gold and platinum metal. I have a platinum solitaire, I have a really hard time getting a nice polished look. I also have a white gold ring which turns yellow every couple months so I guess its a catch 22. My other question is, what activities should I not wear my rings for.
36.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I just bought an ultrasonic, and am very impressed!
I had an incredibly grungy piece, with lots of intricate grunge-collecting crevices... it benefited from a light brush with an medium-stiff art brush - the flat, squared kind with soft, but very straight, even bristles... (NOT a toothbrush - I broek a prong off using a toothbrush once!)
Back in the US - and it looks like new!!

Definitely worth the investment!

As for polishing out plat, that''s a job for the professionals, I guess...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum needs to be professionally polished to make it shiny. Just cleaning won't do it.

As for white gold: no ammonia (windex, etc.) and no harsh cleaners at all. No chlorine (so don't wear it while cleaning or in the pool).

I like to use just a soft toothbrush (baby toothbrushes work very well) and dawn dish detergent or my ultrasonic, some warm water, and a squirt of dawn. Both work very well. Use the ultrasonic sparingly if you have pave set diamonds and DO NOT use it on softer stones (like emerald, aqua, etc.)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/30/2009 10:13:14 AM
Author: neatfreak

Platinum needs to be professionally polished to make it shiny. Just cleaning won''t do it.

As for white gold: no ammonia (windex, etc.) and no harsh cleaners at all. No chlorine (so don''t wear it while cleaning or in the pool).

I like to use just a soft toothbrush (baby toothbrushes work very well) and dawn dish detergent or my ultrasonic, some warm water, and a squirt of dawn. Both work very well. Use the ultrasonic sparingly if you have pave set diamonds and DO NOT use it on softer stones (like emerald, aqua, etc.)
This is good advice.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love my ultrasonic cleaner
35.gif
35.gif

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
warm water
dove dishwashing soap
and a soft brunch, makes the diamond shine

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Baby toothbrush, warm water and soap plus a trip in the ultrasonic once a week or so (unless you have pave).

Take your ring off if you are:

Sleeping
Showering/bathing
Doing housework or gardening
Doing anything more advanced or dangerous than eating/typing/shopping type activities

Especially if you have pave/channel setting/delicate setting - do not pick up heavy suitcases etc as you can damage the setting with the pressure.

Personally I take my ring off the minute I get home and it goes back on when I leave the house (to do non-dangerous activities) or we have people round. I check the prongs every month.

Diamonds are hard when it comes to trying to scratch one - it doesn''t make them that strong. Whack it hard in the right place and you''ll find yourself with two diamonds! Plus, settings need TLC.

Platinum will need polishing by a jeweller - it''s not a DIY job. White gold will need rhodium plating at intervals. The time between intervals will depend on the composition of your sweat and what you expose your ring to. Some people need to replate several times a year, others can only need to after five years...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results